Chrysler will void your engine warranty if you use their mopar cold air intake!

SaddleTramp

This sucks, good luck. I'm getting ready to install a K&N CAI to accommodate space for a hydro reservoir and don't like hearing these stories. Never had problems on other vehicles with K&N filters though, hopefully Mopar stands behind their install and product for you!

ttfhell

This sucks, good luck. I'm getting ready to install a K&N CAI to accommodate space for a hydro reservoir and don't like hearing these stories. Never had problems on other vehicles with K&N filters though, hopefully Mopar stands behind their install and product for you!

I plan in the hydro kit too but I'm going to have to find a work around.

JoeBlue

Hello Eddie:

When did you notice the oil consumption on your Rubicat? I also agree that 1 quart every 1000 mile is a lot.
I just bought a 2014 JKU Rubicon, and just clocked 1K miles on it in 3 weeks. Checked the oil level, and seemed to be OK. Just wondering when I need to start paying more attention to it.

-Joe

Thanks for posting this up Russ. While we're not burning as much oil as you, we are killing about a quart every 1,000 miles. That seems a lot to me and well more that we had been seeing up until recently but, apparently well within what Chrysler deems to be, "acceptable". Like you, we have a CAI and I suspect that when things get worse, we won't be getting any love from the dealership. Please keep us all in the loop if for no other reason than to get an idea of how far we need to bend over.

OrangegasmJKU

Hey ttfhell, I'm just guessing but are located in TO? I'm living way up in north west ontario in red lake and my nearest Jeep dealer is Mckinstry Chrysler and they have been very accommodating when it comes to warranty fixes for me, even with all my mods. I'm sry to hear about your engine issues bud! I don't mean to thread jack, but the dealer up here has awesome techs and service manager. I was hearing a grinding noise in my transmisson(manual) while idling with the heater blow waited to low when my odometer was @ 36,000km and pointed it out to them and within a week my rig had a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearing, no questions asked. It didnt fix the problem mind you, but it was the thought that counted :) Too bad all dealers can't be this nice. Wishing you luck buddy!

SWRUBI

Good luck with it. Jeep Ontario has a good Service Manager that does a solid job going to bat for us as customers. I used to go to Frahm / Browning and they are absolutely atrocious!

SWRUBI

Hey ttfhell, I'm just guessing but are located in TO? I'm living way up in north west ontario in red lake and my nearest Jeep dealer is Mckinstry Chrysler and they have been very accommodating when it comes to warranty fixes for me, even with all my mods. I'm sry to hear about your engine issues bud! I don't mean to thread jack, but the dealer up here has awesome techs and service manager. I was hearing a grinding noise in my transmisson(manual) while idling with the heater blow waited to low when my odometer was @ 36,000km and pointed it out to them and within a week my rig had a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearing, no questions asked. It didnt fix the problem mind you, but it was the thought that counted :) Too bad all dealers can't be this nice. Wishing you luck buddy!

The other Ontario about 2500 miles South West of you!

OrangegasmJKU

Wait, Ontario California ?? Cool! Didnt even know there was a Ontario Cali! Lol you learn something new everyday!

Sent from my iPhone while driving!

rtguy1

It's a Dry-Flo filter that doesn't get oiled.

Ahh. Just looked it up. I'm just wondering how that much dirt got thru with the install done correctly and how you burned 3.5 quarts in 700 miles. Seems like it woulda been smoking like a diesel. Good luck with getting it covered. Hopefully they make it right

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Eddie:

When did you notice the oil consumption on your Rubicat? I also agree that 1 quart every 1000 mile is a lot.
I just bought a 2014 JKU Rubicon, and just clocked 1K miles on it in 3 weeks. Checked the oil level, and seemed to be OK. Just wondering when I need to start paying more attention to it.

-Joe

Honestly, I noticed it right after the JKX just like ttfhell - basically, toward the end of September and I now have about 60,000 miles on our 2012. I too have a CAI but never had this problem until now. The only other thing I can think of is that I did just regear to 5.13's before the trip. Before talking to ttfhell, I was actually looking at that and the fact that I now run at a higher RPM as the culprit.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ahh. Just looked it up. I'm just wondering how that much dirt got thru with the install done correctly and how you burned 3.5 quarts in 700 miles. Seems like it woulda been smoking like a diesel. Good luck with getting it covered. Hopefully they make it right

I saw one puff of black smoke from his rig since he has been burning oil. Whereas when Moochie was burning oil I saw smoke every time he downshifted or hit the gas.

Moochie

I saw one puff of black smoke from his rig since he has been burning oil. Whereas when Moochie was burning oil I saw smoke every time he downshifted or hit the gas.

When I first realized I had an oil consumption problem I never saw any smoke. The cat does a good job of keeping the smoke down. At the end of my engines life I was using 1 quart for every 125 miles. Smokey was leaving a smoke screen.

ttfhell

Well I heard back from the case manager and the conversation was perplexing, frustrating, and comical all at the same time. Of course it was denied but I will post details when I get a chance.

Angry Aussie

Well I heard back from the case manager and the conversation was perplexing, frustrating, and comical all at the same time. Of course it was denied but I will post details when I get a chance.

Damn man, sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine how you feel about all this. I'd be beyond livid. I've got my fingers crossed for you man. I hope they step up and do the right thing. I feel for you bro.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Sorry man, I'm having the same issues with my jk at the moment. I'm still running the stock cai.

They said the same thing excessive dirt in the intake.

SDG

Caught the Bug

Outch! That sucks. Any chance of taking this up with mopar directly, or was that basically what the case manager was doing (representing both parties?)?

Top Bottom