Chrysler will void your engine warranty if you use their mopar cold air intake!

is there any pictures of the damage the dealer is claiming was caused by the intake? now i am a bit worried i have an AFE intake on my jeep....

OrangegasmJKU

Shit man, that's not fair, the offer warranty for a reason, not to have a claim shot down when you need and expect it most! Its not your fault that your intake tract got blocked with dirt, the mopar filter should be good enough to prevent that, it's designed to keep out dirt!

Sent from my iPhone while driving!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I noticed it right after the JKX just like ttfhell - basically, toward the end of September and I now have about 60,000 miles on our 2012. I too have a CAI but never had this problem until now. The only other thing I can think of is that I did just regear to 5.13's before the trip. Before talking to ttfhell, I was actually looking at that and the fact that I now run at a higher RPM as the culprit.

Sorry. I have 5.13s and haven't noticed the issue. Knock on wood.

Must be the bolt-ons. :yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
What do you mean by stock cai? Are you saying you are running a mopar CAI or the stock air box? Just curious

Sorry, just the factory box and air cleaner.

Started the oil consumption test today. I burned 3 qts in 1,000 miles after the head was replaced. ( two weeks ago) It was only burning about 1 qt every oil change.

Whatever they did made it worse

Last edited:

ttfhell

Sorry, just the factory box and air cleaner.

Started the oil consumption test today. I burned 3 qts in 1,000 miles after the head was replaced. ( two weeks ago) It was only burning about 1 qt every oil change.

Whatever they did made it worse

Three quarts in 1000 miles! That shit is weak I did 3.5 in 700. Come on Chris man up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry. I have 5.13s and haven't noticed the issue. Knock on wood.

Must be the bolt-ons. :yup:

That's good to know. I was just putting it out there as that was the only real thing that had changed on my Jeep before I started burning oil. Clearly, it could just be a coincidence.

Okay, I've been watching this tread and have a few questions. I'm out east-ish in Ohio and am not familiar with what the JKX is all about or entailed. But I thought I read that there was at least a day that was pretty fast and you were running high RPMs for a considerable amount of time. If I am following things correctly, all of you having this issue did JKX right?

I'm wondering if this issue has more to do with a prolonged high-RPM run than the CIA.... While I accept that sucking up dirt isn't good. I have a hard time believing that material that was small enough to pass through the filter damaged the engine this badly. (In my drag-racing days I once forgot to remove a rag on the carb and fired the engine. It ran rough for 10 seconds and then a chewed up pieced of rag flew out the header. Granted I was lucky.)

My point/question is. Can the dealer prove it was the dirt/dust that caused the damage, or is it plausible that the 3.6L doesn't handle high RPMs well? It is my understanding that in order to deny your warranty they have to provide proof it was on you. I haven't read where this was provided. Only hypotheses have been provided by pointing out dirt/dust in the intake. (Unfortunately it might take legal action to push the issue and that will likely cost more than a new V8 :mad:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I've been watching this tread and have a few questions. I'm out east-ish in Ohio and am not familiar with what the JKX is all about or entailed. But I thought I read that there was at least a day that was pretty fast and you were running high RPMs for a considerable amount of time. If I am following things correctly, all of you having this issue did JKX right?

I'm wondering if this issue has more to do with a prolonged high-RPM run than the CIA.... While I accept that sucking up dirt isn't good. I have a hard time believing that material that was small enough to pass through the filter damaged the engine this badly. (In my drag-racing days I once forgot to remove a rag on the carb and fired the engine. It ran rough for 10 seconds and then a chewed up pieced of rag flew out the header. Granted I was lucky.)

My point/question is. Can the dealer prove it was the dirt/dust that caused the damage, or is it plausible that the 3.6L doesn't handle high RPMs well? It is my understanding that in order to deny your warranty they have to provide proof it was on you. I haven't read where this was provided. Only hypotheses have been provided by pointing out dirt/dust in the intake. (Unfortunately it might take legal action to push the issue and that will likely cost more than a new V8 :mad:)

You are correct that all of us attended the JKX and without question, we pushed our rigs harder in one week than most people do in a few years. The thing that's frustrating is that yeah, it very well could be that the 3.6L motor can't handle the high RPM's but really, that's where all the real power is.

You are correct that all of us attended the JKX and without question, we pushed our rigs harder in one week than most people do in a few years. The thing that's frustrating is that yeah, it very well could be that the 3.6L motor can't handle the high RPM's but really, that's where all the real power is.

With this said, a counter hypothesis that could be made to the dealer is that the engine performance diagnostics is insufficient. There is no good reason that an electronically controlled engine shouldn't have detected the increase in heat and/or friction that would have had to of happened during the damage. Codes should've been thrown, or at least a rise in engine temp.

I wonder if your dealing with valve-seat damage or burnt rings? Both would cause the oil consumption but one shows contamination and the other shows poor fuel/temp management. (A good technician and dealer should've looked into this further.)

This just sucks for you all....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With this said, a counter hypothesis that could be made to the dealer is that the engine performance diagnostics is insufficient. There is no good reason that an electronically controlled engine shouldn't have detected the increase in heat and/or friction that would have had to of happened during the damage. Codes should've been thrown, or at least a rise in engine temp.

I wonder if your dealing with valve-seat damage or burnt rings? Both would cause the oil consumption but one shows contamination and the other shows poor fuel/temp management. (A good technician and dealer should've looked into this further.)

Funny you should say that as I have been talking about this with Mel at Off Road Evolution and agree with what you are saying. An interesting thing to note is that I believe that Chris had to get his timing chains replaced along with his head and just recently, Mel had to have his timing chains replaced as well due to the fact that they were stretched BIG TIME and I think he's only got about 14,000 miles.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

My motor oil was fried, they told me it was from poor maintenance. However it's been changed at the dealer on a regular basis.

The oil was changed after the head swap (October 28). As of yesterday it was the same black again.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Funny you should say that as I have been talking about this with Mel at Off Road Evolution and agree with what you are saying. An interesting thing to note is that I believe that Chris had to get his timing chains replaced along with his head and just recently, Mel had to have his timing chains replaced as well due to the fact that they were stretched BIG TIME and I think he's only got about 14,000 miles.

They only changed my timing gears, sensors, head, oil changes. I also had 75% and a 50% leak at two of the cylinders. The mechanic told me the dirt would not be causing these issues. He kinda laughed at the fact the service writer suggested it.

In fairness I do not believe we put these motors through anything they shouldn't be able to handle. I'm still on 4:10 gears and a 6 speed. We really didn't run high RPM's that often. Hell it was 2wd for the long stretches of fast roads.

HDGasser

Shitty to read all this, sounds like there's gonna be a large number of "LS/Hemi Swap" threads coming up.

I hate K&N's filters for this very reason. Cause they suck at filtering fine dirt.

I good friend of mine has a business called Fuel Customs. They make intakes for quads and sxs's. They are expensive but 10x's the quality of a k&n. While k&n filters are 4ply his filters are 8ply, after running both I saw a nite and day difference after being in the desert for a weeknd Inside of my intake was spotless now.

When I bought my Heep it had a K&n and the first thing in the trash was that filter. He got me one of his filters and outerwares that was actually bigger than the previous filter.

If anyone is interested in trying the filters out give me a hollar and some measurements...

2k13jk

One thing i always do when bringing the jeep to the dealership for repairs ill swap out my cold air intake and put the stock air box back in simple

MTG

Caught the Bug
That's good to know. I was just putting it out there as that was the only real thing that had changed on my Jeep before I started burning oil. Clearly, it could just be a coincidence.

I know you run synthetic oil. How about the rest of you with issues. Synthetic or Dino?

Top Bottom