• Mojito Green, JL color

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chestnut Brown Metallic, Classic 70's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Did you order a bolt kit for the project? Or just reusing existing hardware?

Existing hardware. Original bolts on the floor, sliders came bolted to the frame, and Mastercrafts had little bags with bolts for each seat. Washers came with the new stuff as well.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Especially on the electrical end of things. Not to mention the suspensions are a bit more forgiving. If you have death wobble, your axle has probably fallen off.

Great point, that’s Hilarious!

I have so many spliced connections on my harness where wires had melted or broke. It’s one of my big projects this winter to put the painless harness in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got a tach that will go in later with the new steering column, Painless wiring, other new gauges etc.

Got the new seats in. Used Corbeau brackets which work well and drop the seats about two inches. Just had to re-drill new holes because the Mastercraft seats are wider where they attach. I think I will be doing the fenderwell cuts so the seat can go back farther. With that mod I can gain another two, maybe three inches of leg room. That will be down the road when I am ready to drive it again. The steering column will be a tilt model. With that and the smaller 14 inch steering wheel, and I should have plenty of leg space for braking and clutching.

I finally installed the shift ball. Had to cut off the mangled threads and start over. Drilled into the shaft about 3/4 of an inch, then tapped threads 3/8-16 and installed a stud. The other end of the stud is the factory 3/8-24 threads. Worked out good, but I was worried I wouldn't get the drilling straight. Miraculously, I pulled it off and did pretty close to a factory looking job.

Damn, this this is coming together nicely :thumb:

aTX427

Congratulations on the barn find. Engine and color are exceptional. Looking forward to following the rebuild.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Damn, this this is coming together nicely :thumb:
Thanks, Eddie!

Congratulations on the barn find. Engine and color are exceptional. Looking forward to following the rebuild.

I like the color for now, but will be going in a different direction when paint time comes. That will probably be a couple of years away before it happens.
I was adamant about the engine. I was not going to get a CJ unless it had an original 304 in it. My first CJ had a V8 and it made all the difference in the world. The engine sound is half the fun with a classic car.

Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I posted a couple of pics elsewhere on the site where it was pertinent, but I thought I should put a few of my old CJ5 in this thread. It is the reason I wanted another CJ and one of the only vehicles I've owned that I wish I'd never sold. It was a 77 with a fiberglass body and fenders, steel hood and grill. The front end was a hydraulic tilt using rams from an old 60's model Cadillac convertible. 8 point cage with 4 points tied to the frame. 350 Chevy engine, 3 speed manual. 40 inch Dick Cepek tires on 15x12 or 14 wheels, I can't remember. Surprisingly, very very stable. Never felt like I was going to tip over, even when I played rough.

I have some really bad old video footage from like, 1994 but it gets the idea across. I'm just putting this stuff up as a frame of reference so anyone who might be interested can know what I'm talking about when I say "my old CJ".

Please bear in mind that it was a different era when I had this Jeep. Crawling and wheel clearance (articulation) wasn't anything important to us in the east at that time. Straight line fast in mud and sand was all we bothered with. Well, that and two tracks... lots and lots of two tracks.

jeep9_2.jpg

jeep2_2.jpg

jeep14.jpg

Not me, but the guy who built it.

525872_449041871776547_252665963_n_4.jpg

Racing days

jeep12.jpg

jeep3_2.jpg

Really lame and old, low quality video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvTcPr8b_O8

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
That thing is sweet. What size tires are on that ranger?

Total street toy show truck. I sold the Jeep to finance the rest of the build on that one. (Yes, I'm a dumbass... or was at least) Took first place mini truck with it at the Jamboree nationals in spring of 96 and was a blip on Trucks and Tractor Power for TNN in my 15 seconds of fame in between mud drag coverage. The tires were 39.5 x 18 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted on 15x 12 weld wheels. Had an 8 inch skyjacker lift, 3 inch body, and Bushwhacker cutout flares. Beautiful truck, almost zero off road capability.

sc0034ec70.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
That things is sweet. I hope it still exists, somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, it was awesome. However, the guy that bought it from me tore off the hood scoop and rattle canned the whole thing in red. Then he sold it to a guy who ended taking it to upper Michigan to leave at his cottage and use for a hunting truck. Last I heard, it was rotting behind a garage. Tried to find it some years ago but couldn't because I didn't have the vin anymore. Kinda sad about it's fate but maybe someone bought it before it was too far gone.

There is some cars i had i wish i could go back and get for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I think we all have at least one. I also have two that I could have bought and didn't... should have because of what they are going for now. 1. 1982 DeLorean 2. 1969 Dodge Charger - blue with black vinyl top. Still want one of those.

Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Good week for parts!

Been a busy week on the parts end of things. Got the new steering wheel and adapter. All new knobs and misc. parts for the climate controls including lighted indicators. Picked up a new firewall seal for when the steering column shows up (supposed to be first week of January). And the small Autometer gauges that go to the right of the Speedo on the dash, factory replacement size.
Then there's the bag O' plugs. The floor was liner coated and all the plugs removed. I will have to strip and clean the coating off and re-coat with better stuff, then pop in the plugs.

IMG_0375.jpg

Got a 4" Explorer ProComp lift including pitman arm, extended brake lines and shocks for just over $600 with a Black Friday deal. I'm very happy with that. Rubicon Express wouldn't budge on their prices and they wanted over $1300 without shocks.

The only thing is that the box kit is two days behind the springs so I won't see that til' Friday. Not a big problem since I can't install until the weekend anyhow. Wheels are already at Discount tire, tires should be in by Friday. I'm hoping it will all come together this weekend. If the tires don't show up until Monday, I'm stuck until the following weekend. A Daystar 1" body lift is on the way too, but that for sure will not be here until next week. Coming direct from Daystar and they are finishing up building a run of kits by the end of the week. Otherwise, they are out of stock at most places. No biggie, the tires should fit fine without it... for the street. I just need the extra room for light off roading purposes. I pretty much failed at keeping it to 33's. Saw a CJ in town on 35's and realized there was no way I was going to be satisfied with smaller. So, 35's it is.

I'll talk more about the tires and wheels when they come in.

IMG_0376.jpg

Top Bottom