Coil over gurus need help

Havoc40

Since you are in the local area come "check the clearances" offorad with us. Much better picture than a forklift LOL

This is how mine sits at ride height. the rear is a little high in the picture because it is empty. Its set up for fully loaded.

LOL ya I know...these pics were a few days after I did the install last month. Haven't had time to get out yet and it's killing me. I was trying to go on that run to Bundy last weekend. I live around the block from Adam, he'll be making sure I get out with you guys soon enough!!

BTW I've saw your Jeep in the "parking garage" a few times :) I'm there frequently for work. Nice looking rig, part of the reason I went with the EVO bolt-ons!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
LOL ya I know...these pics were a few days after I did the install last month. Haven't had time to get out yet and it's killing me. I was trying to go on that run to Bundy last weekend. I live around the block from Adam, he'll be making sure I get out with you guys soon enough!!

BTW I've saw your Jeep in the "parking garage" a few times :) I'm there frequently for work. Nice looking rig, part of the reason I went with the EVO bolt-ons!

LOL thanks! Its currently sitting in the garage on jack stands as I'm rebuilding the coilovers after a few years of abuse and rust. Make sure you spray yours with some fluid film or something. The Michigan salt likes to destroy them!

qwasin

Since you are in the local area come "check the clearances" offorad with us. Much better picture than a forklift LOL

rZG2vuu.png

10 character limit!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Always been curious of the rebel kits, but they always sit so high. Forgot who but one of the jeep pages on IG just got a setup and it looks like its at 6" of lift...they said it would settle with bumpers and such but to me I dont see it coming down that much. Sucks for this guy as he told them exactly what he wanted, yet this is what he ended up with. I talked to one of the guys there about the kit, and I wish I still had the messages about why they think its better than evo and what its designed for, but I swear they told be it would be softer than evo which I doubt is true after the op said you need kidney protection with his setup.

thardy

Banned
In terms of basic measurements when it comes to droop and up travel, absolutely, it would be identical. As far as ride quality, handling, etc etc, there would be a big difference.

Obviously it would be identical in terms of travel, but when people are looking at coilovers, travel is only a portion of the equation. By generalizing the comparison to travel only, makes for an unfair comparison.

Lift has nothing to do with how much bump stop you need unless we are talking about a body lift.

While I understand that lift alone does not dictate the amount of bumpstop needed, I was trying to gain more information on your buddy's setup to see how he is running 37s with only 1.5" of bump.

I agree, the language I used earlier was inappropriate and too generalizing.

Thank you for realizing this and stating as such.

thardy

Banned
Always been curious of the rebel kits, but they always sit so high. Forgot who but one of the jeep pages on IG just got a setup and it looks like its at 6" of lift...they said it would settle with bumpers and such but to me I dont see it coming down that much. Sucks for this guy as he told them exactly what he wanted, yet this is what he ended up with. I talked to one of the guys there about the kit, and I wish I still had the messages about why they think its better than evo and what its designed for, but I swear they told be it would be softer than evo which I doubt is true after the op said you need kidney protection with his setup.

I believe that was @jk_jeepsofamerica. Southern Off-Road just did his and it looks WAY too high.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: This was a fun read!!

Well, I know nothing about coil overs and would never spend any time bombing through the desert so I'll leave this one to the internet experts. :crazyeyes:

qwasin

The fact that he is either riding on his air bumps at ride height or is extremely close to them surely has a lot more to do with his ride quality issues than spring rate or valving. The whole setup is a mess and whoever sold it has some asplainin to do.

Obviously it would be identical in terms of travel, but when people are looking at coilovers, travel is only a portion of the equation. By generalizing the comparison to travel only, makes for an unfair comparison.

I agree.

While I understand that lift alone does not dictate the amount of bumpstop needed, I was trying to gain more information on your buddy's setup to see how he is running 37s with only 1.5" of bump.

Stock coils, 11" Ranchos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that my friend GCM 2 doesn't know anything about coil overs either let alone playing on some sand. In fact, the only photo I could find of him in his Jeep was at the mall running a EVO DTD on his JK running 12" coil overs up front and 8" in the rear set at about 4" of lift.

attachment.php

Oh, and here's a clip of Mel in EVO 1 cruising down the interstate. Unfortunately, it was rush hour and the highway was in need of some repair so I don't think he was able to get above 70 MPH in the rougher sections. I should also note there are shots of the coil overs in action so that you can see what little travel the DTD kit provides.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not seeing the parking lot nor the mall.....................OH ! You were being sarcastic ! I get it now.

filterbiz

well to all of you that cared to comment about my issue and offer up advice I sure do appreciate it and that's why forums like this are very helpful.
Again, I have several vehicles with coilovers so im not new to the game, but your suggestions are great.
King suggestion is to go 10" so im going to order shafts, cans, and revalve kits, and trade out the springs.

this should fix my prob. also will redo my bump stop setup as that is

not sure what happened to the other half of the threat where people just feeling like talking crap. But oh well.

again I appreciate the actual positive advice.

thardy

Banned
well to all of you that cared to comment about my issue and offer up advice I sure do appreciate it and that's why forums like this are very helpful.
Again, I have several vehicles with coilovers so im not new to the game, but your suggestions are great.
King suggestion is to go 10" so im going to order shafts, cans, and revalve kits, and trade out the springs.

this should fix my prob. also will redo my bump stop setup as that is

not sure what happened to the other half of the threat where people just feeling like talking crap. But oh well.

again I appreciate the actual positive advice.

I'm curious as to why you went with the 12" CO but the 16" body.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
how do the bump stops mount in their system? It would be nice if you could post up some good pics of the whole kit if you dont mind.

thardy

Banned
originally I said rebel ordered them off what I wanted supposedly but after talking to king all 12" shocks have 16.5 bodies

Gotcha. The way I read your post about that sounded like you had the body for 16" CO put on a 12" CO, which, in my head, meant you would automatically have less up travel. Had me scratching my head a bit there.

filterbiz

Gotcha. The way I read your post about that sounded like you had the body for 16" CO put on a 12" CO, which, in my head, meant you would automatically have less up travel. Had me scratching my head a bit there.

I will post some up for you

filterbiz

Update

ok guys thanks again for the reply

Bond from rebel called me back and said he would cover all the charges for me to get the shocks corrected. Stand up guy.
In their defense they an employee that no longer works there actually was the one that sold them to me but he is making it right.
I will post up pics once completed. But him taking care of this makes me feel much better about the situation especially since he didn't actually do the selling or ordering.

Thanks again

Top Bottom