Coil over gurus need help

thardy

Banned
ok guys thanks again for the reply

Bond from rebel called me back and said he would cover all the charges for me to get the shocks corrected. Stand up guy.
In their defense they an employee that no longer works there actually was the one that sold them to me but he is making it right.
I will post up pics once completed. But him taking care of this makes me feel much better about the situation especially since he didn't actually do the selling or ordering.

Thanks again

Good to hear they're taking care of you.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug

Bond from rebel called me back and said he would cover all the charges for me to get the shocks corrected. Stand up guy.
In their defense they an employee that no longer works there actually was the one that sold them to me but he is making it right.
I will post up pics once completed. But him taking care of this makes me feel much better about the situation especially since he didn't actually do the selling or ordering.

Thanks again

Great to see that they are fixing this problem :thumb:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

Thanks again

The old blame it on the dead guy

SaddleTramp

I guess I'll just have to stick with my current off the shelf setup and its "limited up travel" and somehow reasonable ride height.

Crazy, maybe someday it'll compete at KOH and the Baja 1000, ;).

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
Way to back track. Not sure you realize this, but the majority of people on this forum don't jump their JK, so droop is rather important.

There's absolutely NO way a 37 will tuck into the front fender with only a 1" bump, flat fenders and minor trimming. I've personally had to add 2" bump stop extenders, on top of having a 1" puck on the PR44 to a rig that has barely any fender at all and a 2.5" lift. It was rubbing bad. So.....

I ran 37's with cut fenders/a lot of cutting and no bump stops in the front with no lift; the only place I rubbed was the edge of the cut fender at full flex. The rear was a different story I had to do a lot of cutting and added 2" bumpstops in the rear so the the tire wouldn't go up into the the top pinch seem in the wheel well. Again this was with stock springs/shocks, so it is doable but not optimal

Edit:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447910504.578705.jpg
Different angle
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447910568.728069.jpg

Last edited:

big dr

I find it interesting that everyone was F'ing with QWASIN when he offered solutions and suggested 10" shocks,,,, Then King recommended the same thing. I wonder if apologizes are forthcoming?

qwasin

No apologies needed, the way my post was worded probably provoked more flaming than the tech, and that's on me. Glad OP found a solution.

SFNick

Almost sounds like a 10 would have given you more of what you wanted with a 4.5 lift, up travel and the ability articulate a bit.

Thank you for the constructive response. Here is an example of what I'm talking about. The first picture is what I would consider a reasonable amount of up travel for a coilover that would justify the expense. The second picture is how high the vehicle needs to sit to achieve that up travel. As you can see, with 37s, it's ridiculous. From Mechengineer2 on JKF:

View attachment 174215

View attachment 174216

Par for the course with a 12" shock. Read through the EVO coilover threads on this forum you will see the same thing. A 12" shock on 35s or 37s is dumb as hell on a JK because of how well 37s can stuff up into the wheel well with flat fenders and minor trimming. Yea you'll have 3" of up travel and 9" of droop, that's nice. I would rather have 5" of up travel and 5" of droop. For rock crawling and general trail use some people will tell you that 1/3 up travel and 2/3 droop is perfectly acceptable and that's a valid opinion. Not what I would prefer, but valid. However, coilovers really shine in the high speed stuff, where most experienced builders will tell you at least 50/50, or even 2/3 up 1/3 droop. So as it sits now OP, you have high dollar coilovers built for speed but set up for low speed articulation that you could accomplish with any $100 shock and some coil retainers. Your solutions are either mount the coilovers higher in the tub or raise your ride height. With the latter being exponentially easier.

I find it interesting that everyone was F'ing with QWASIN when he offered solutions and suggested 10" shocks,,,, Then King recommended the same thing. I wonder if apologizes are forthcoming?

Did you read his first 2 post? A lot of misinformation and bashing a product he knows nothing about. Evil actually offered the 10" coilover solution.

I think everyone pretty much covered it, but here's an example of the EVO bolt on 12" coilovers with 3.5" of lift on 37" tires with 12" of vertical drop and all the up travel I'll ever need with flat fenders.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447914166.770163.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447914201.638502.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447914295.453926.jpg

Last edited:

qwasin

I'm hoping we can avoid another flame fest and agree to disagree so I will be more careful with my language, here goes. Nick, you are giving up some up-travel, I have first hand experience with 37s working with 1.5" bump stops, and Benito has experience with 37s working without any extra bump stop. Now whether that's because of your fenders, or because of your wheel offset, or because of your track bar length, I don't know. But in my experience you don't need that much front bump stop. In your specific case, clearly you do need that much bump, and that system looks just about perfect for your setup, so please don't take that as an insult. But in my opinion, if I was doing a suspension system like that, I would do the extra work to mount the front COs 1.5" higher up, and reduce the bump stops to 1.5". Why didn't EVO design their system with the tower extending up a bit higher? Probably because going any higher would require TONS more cutting and fab, and they figure that most people running DTD would be on 40s anyway, where you need a 3" bump stop or more regardless. I hope that even if you disagree with what I just said, you can at least understand where I'm coming from. Cheers.

SFNick

I'm hoping we can avoid another flame fest and agree to disagree so I will be more careful with my language, here goes. Nick, you are giving up some up-travel, I have first hand experience with 37s working with 1.5" bump stops, and Benito has experience with 37s working without any extra bump stop. Now whether that's because of your fenders, or because of your wheel offset, or because of your track bar length, I don't know. But in my experience you don't need that much front bump stop. In your specific case, clearly you do need that much bump, and that system looks just about perfect for your setup, so please don't take that as an insult. But in my opinion, if I was doing a suspension system like that, I would do the extra work to mount the front COs 1.5" higher up, and reduce the bump stops to 1.5". Why didn't EVO design their system with the tower extending up a bit higher? Probably because going any higher would require TONS more cutting and fab, and they figure that most people running DTD would be on 40s anyway, where you need a 3" bump stop or more regardless. I hope that even if you disagree with what I just said, you can at least understand where I'm coming from. Cheers.

No worries, I understand where you are coming from & I realize that I'm losing some up travel & I'll sacrifice 1.5 of up-travel for more drop & correct steering geometry, it fits my needs. FYI Benito isn't running a lift and this is why he doesn't need extended bump-stops. Agree to disagree[emoji817][emoji106]🏻[emoji108]🏻

qwasin

Well, you specifically, aren't losing any up travel because with the current combination of all your parts, your tire looks like it barely rubs the fender. And since you have metal fenders, that's going to be your limit. So like I said, your setup is perfect for you specifically. Now if you went back to plastic fenders with more flexibility, and added some wheel spacers or something, you would probably have more room and it'd be a different discussion. Either way glad we can see eye to eye.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would say the evo front mounts for the bolt ons is about as high you can possibly go with the location they use, and you still do a good bit of trimming to get the towers to fit. I dont know if the rebel mounts are higher, but you are definitely limited up front in how high you can mount a coilover tower without serious mods.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...and they figure that most people running DTD would be on 40s anyway, where you need a 3" bump stop or more regardless.

Funny, I don't ever recall seeing a DTD setup with ANY bump stop up front. I guess guys with Rebel kits just way more hardcore.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would say the evo front mounts for the bolt ons is about as high you can possibly go with the location they use, and you still do a good bit of trimming to get the towers to fit. I dont know if the rebel mounts are higher, but you are definitely limited up front in how high you can mount a coilover tower without serious mods.

Due to it's design, the Rebel mounts are LOWER - that's why their kit has you sitting up so high.

filterbiz

I thought so but wasnt sure, makes sense now why all the jeeps on their kit look like they are on 6" lifts.

I should have this answered going to the 10" coil overs.
but yes they are all high. that's why I tried to "go my own route with shocks" but we know how that went. Now that I have a solution, since they do build a quality product it will be exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks again guys!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I thought so but wasnt sure, makes sense now why all the jeeps on their kit look like they are on 6" lifts.

In short, they really don't have a fucking clue how to build a jeep. If they did, they sure the hell wouldn't push teraflex like they do.

Top Bottom