coilover kits

GCM 2

Who has the best kit , bolt or weld , pros , cons , pics , thanks for the input.

I know you guys are pro EVO hear but what about the Rebel Recon set up ? The EVO lever is nice no doubt but you have to re locate the muffler right ?

You did ask "who has the best kit"......it's EVO mfg, and that kind of makes sense why I'm pro EVO, it's the reason why I no longer run other brands of suspension. People didn't mention the Rebel Recon set up because you did not ask "who has an average kit" :thumb:

tapcola

Yes the EVO kit seems the best ( all of them ) thanks for all the info ! have to go now bank robbery in process !

GCM 2

How much do you guys think it would be without the bypass shocks installed? If I understood him I thought Mell said if I didn't mind the welding I should just go with the DTD without the bypass shock and it would be close the price of the bolt on kit. Would the back be a good system without the bypass shocks. It seems like it would be a lot cheaper that way.

I'm sure Wayolife could comment on this question better than anyone, since this was the exact set up he ran before the Double Throw Down. The weld on set up in the front and with EVO lever in the rear with only coilovers is still going to be a better suspension set up than anything else out there offered by any other mfg. With this option you still are afforded 14" of true suspension travel, what you don't get is the high-speed control and performance the three tube bypass shock will offer. To truly justify needing the bypass shocks for an off road rig, picture the kind of driving that is done in desert racing. If you don't have the room to travel at high speed through washboard roads and deep whoops for long periods of time, you probably are wasting money on buying a DTD set up. Crawling through rocks at low speed absolutely uses no part of three stage by-pass shocks, that's all coilovers working there.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
You did ask "who has the best kit"......it's EVO mfg, and that kind of makes sense why I'm pro EVO, it's the reason why I no longer run other brands of suspension. People didn't mention the Rebel Recon set up because you did not ask "who has an average kit" :thumb:
Ohhh snap! (Kidding) My neighbor has the Rebel Recon kit, it is probably the worst handling kit (on hwy) I have ever felt. On really sharp curves the rear inside tire cones off the ground.

rubicrawl

How much do you guys think it would be without the bypass shocks installed? If I understood him I thought Mell said if I didn't mind the welding I should just go with the DTD without the bypass shock and it would be close the price of the bolt on kit. Would the back be a good system without the bypass shocks. It seems like it would be a lot cheaper that way.

Like about $2000 cheaper I'm doing the front weld on but just with the coilover and the rear bolt on for now I take my rig in jan 6 but it all adds up I payed about 18k without rims I already had them but that's with tires tire carrier Evo long arms bump stops Evo flip kit ext brake lines etc.etc. it all adds up I went In thinking dtd walked out no dtd but I'll do it later I will have everything by then

GCM 2

......l.have to go now bank robbery in process !

No need to go gangsta :rock: Although I have been running the DTD set up for 4+ years, I have had the opportunity to wheel with and drive a few jeeps running the EVO bolt-on coilovers and I was kind of jealous. That system does about 80-90% of what my Double Throw Down does at a fraction of the cost.

I have posted the below video a dozen times throughout this site :icon_crazy: but it explains why EVO cost a little more than other bands of suspension, but EVO is also doing work to R&D suspensions to a level that other "coilover kits" don't do.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
GCM 2 said:
I'm sure Wayolife could comment on this question better than anyone, since this was the exact set up he ran before the Double Throw Down. The weld on set up in the front and with EVO lever in the rear with only coilovers is still going to be a better suspension set up than anything else out there offered by any other mfg. With this option you still are afforded 14" of true suspension travel, what you don't get is the high-speed control and performance the three tube bypass shock will offer. To truly justify needing the bypass shocks for an off road rig, picture the kind of driving that is done in desert racing. If you don't have the room to travel at high speed through washboard roads and deep whoops for long periods of time, you probably are wasting money on buying a DTD set up. Crawling through rocks at low speed absolutely uses no part of three stage by-pass shocks, that's all coilovers working there.

Thanks Gregg, that's what I was thinking. I live in the east in the Appalachian mountains and have a lot of big rock and slow crawling. Not to much room to go to fast. I do want a kit I can drive 80 or 90 on the road though. Do you think this kit would be over kill for what I'm going to do with it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know you guys are pro EVO hear but what about the Rebel Recon set up ?

For the price, I still think the EVO bolt on coil over kit is still a better buy and here's why. First, the Rebel kit has a minimum ride height that is sky high - even at it's shortest setting, you'll still be sitting at about 5"-6"+, way too tall for my taste even with 40's. Second, even though you can order the kit with coil overs that are 14" long, it's design will NOT allow for more than about 9.5" of vertical travel in the rear and a bit more up front. How do I know, I had been present during a cycling test of it from full droop to full bump and pulled out a tape measure. A couple of years back, I had even forced Rebel to publically admit as much too. Third, the rear coil over setup sits at a steep angle back compromising the falling rate and leaves the coil overs exposed. Sure, they do have a kit that requires you to cut into the tub but that's not an option I'd prefer to explore. Fourth, early on, EVO worked closely with King to develop the best riding coil overs and bypass shocks and spent countless hours and money going through different spring rates and fine tuning the valving. This is the reason why EVO is is the ONLY company that has their name on their name print on their King coil overs.

The EVO lever is nice no doubt but you have to re locate the muffler right ?

I'd rather relocate my muffler and get a true 14" of vertical travel and with coil overs protected than to than cut into the tub or have my coil overs hanging low and exposed and still only get 9.5" of vertical travel.

Relocating the muffler is your concern?

LOL!! That's kind of what I was thinking :D

Yup, what he said :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As mentioned, I have run both setups and I can assure you that the single coil over will still out perform any other kit out there bar none. The DTD with it's bypass shocks just make the total setup the best as it can handle BIG speeds and soak up BIG hits. If you're not able to open up your Jeep and for extended periods of time, I can assure you that you'd be more than happy with just the single coil overs.

CJ THAT WENT JK

I am currently running the EVO weld on coilovers system up front, and exactly what he said. Since we don't live in the desert I didn't do the DTD and put the money else where. The coilovers are a big difference though. Love them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Gregg, that's what I was thinking. I live in the east in the Appalachian mountains and have a lot of big rock and slow crawling. Not to much room to go to fast. I do want a kit I can drive 80 or 90 on the road though. Do you think this kit would be over kill for what I'm going to do with it.

Sorry, not Greg here but absolutely. You can do 80 to 90 on road without any problems or ill effect. Is it over kill for what you are going to do with it? I'd say only if you don't really have the budget for it. I honestly think that you'd find the Enforcer kit with a set of King shocks to do amazingly well too.

GCM 2

Ok, so I am going to be honest; Of course it's overkill, hell my DTD kit is overkill for my desert/rock rig, because lately it has only seen pavement use! It does look very cool though to have $15k worth of suspension on a daily driver, so at least people will think you are all hardcore and into extreme offroading......or they will just think "look at the douche with all that suspension on a daily driver".

I say get what you think you will be most happy with. If that's coilovers and bypass shocks, then make it a DTD set up, you definitely will not be unhappy with your purchase.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
Sorry, not Greg here but absolutely. You can do 80 to 90 on road without any problems or ill effect. Is it over kill for what you are going to do with it? I'd say only if you don't really have the budget for it. I honestly think that you'd find the Enforcer kit with a set of King shocks to do amazingly well too.

Thanks for all the good info. This really gives me a lot to think about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
or they will just think "look at the douche with all that suspension on a daily driver".

:cheesy: Only because in spite of all the abuse your rig has seen, it still has an unnatural sparkle and shine even though it's black!! :D

GCM 2

:cheesy: Only because in spite of all the abuse your rig has seen, it still has an unnatural sparkle and shine even though it's black!! :D

Interesting? It's almost as though you know I am detailing my rig tomorrow.....for the Auto Enthusiast Show in Fontana, CA. next weekend :rock: Haha! Driving out for the weekend to see Mel and the crew!

MTG

Caught the Bug
I honestly think that you'd find the Enforcer kit with a set of King shocks to do amazingly well too.

I've heard that you can't really wheel the enforcer kit anywhere but the mall, and that if you ran it with a set of Kings in the desert the wheels will actually fall off. Is that true?

:crazyeyes:

GCM 2

I've heard that you can't really wheel the enforcer kit anywhere but the mall, and that if you ran it with a set of Kings in the desert the wheels will actually fall off. Is that true?

:crazyeyes:

I believe your question is completely rhetorical. I think we both know, that you know the answer to your question. So...is it four, maybe five times now your wheels have fallen off? And was it not at "The Summit" or "Meadowood Mall" where this keeps happening to you :idontknow:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I believe your question is completely rhetorical. I think we both know, that you know the answer to your question. So...is it four, maybe five times now your wheels have fallen off? And was it not at "The Summit" or "Meadowood Mall" where this keeps happening to you :idontknow:

Hey Mike's loop at the Summit Sierra mall is no joke!

I've lost track honestly. Truth be told after the last time I just left the wheels off. Sure, driving around on the rotors has it's drawbacks, but until I get coilovers it really is the best option.

JAGS

Hooked
All this coilover talk has me thinking. Would they be overkill for stock wheels and 32s? :cheesy: I mean the malls and parking lots around here have a lot of bumps. Thinking the coilovers would get me up and over in a hurry and allow me to stay on the skinny a bit more. The savings on brake pads would more than make up for it. ;)

Top Bottom