Dynatrac CODEX - Phase 3

TheGrendel

To me, it looks a little bit like a Spec Trophy Truck. I think it needs a full cage that ties in to the flatbed. Put a few tool and fluid holders back there and they might have something.

Naw. Needs a bed mounted M2 50 cal. šŸ˜€

35566434435_946cbe5630_b.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think it looks awesome. Completely different direction than what others have done or will do. Great Job Dynatrac!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

SDG

Caught the Bug
I think it's a complete waste. But what can you do. Should put trailing arms on it and enter it in the baja 1000 in the vw buggy class...

Just my 2c... as many have said, why gimp the truck when you could have made this out of a JL or a JK... just a total waste. They you put ching Chong tires on it, where is your fucking head at?

Trail JK

I like the axles and the hellcat but thatā€™s about it. The dog catcher rear and now the flatbed does nothing for me. I wouldnā€™t put another cent towards this build. Set it aside and start over. Maybe come up with three concepts and let the public vote on the build that they would like to see come together.

*Two heads are better than one.*

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Okay so the Jeep Truck is out and people are experimenting with it, lets go back to what I think was the original multi-purpose Jeep ā€œtruckā€ build. Whatever happened to ResQ 1?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looks like some posts were lost here. Lucky for everyone I had a copy of what was posted.

Here was the response to the comments from Dynatrac.

[QUOTE =Dynatrac;1142006]I love Wayalife members because they keep us honest and on our toes at all times. Thanks to all the critics and supporters. Controversy is what keeps this forum exciting.

Iā€™ve kept silent long enough. Now that yā€™all can see a more finished project, Iā€™d like to comment on a few questions that came up on the CodeX build.

Why didnā€™t we just do this on a JL?
ā€¢Ask Jeep why they didnā€™t just make a pickup out of a JL? The best reason is that Jeep invested many tens of millions of dollars into the Gladiator rear frame and suspension. Itā€™s designed to carry payload and perform the duty cycles of a truck, not an SUV. In addition, itā€™s already been done, very well done, many times on a JK. If we did it on a JL, Iā€™d bet dollars to dog turds that we would have had folks say: ā€œThat makes no sense when a perfectly good Jeep pickup truck is ā€¦.ā€ But, maybe Iā€™m just being cynical.

Why did we shorten the wheelbase?
ā€¢The reason you wheel your Jeep instead of your Super Duty is because it is small and highly maneuverable. One of the biggest criticisms of the Gladiator I have read over and over is the loss of break over height, and tight maneuverability. Itā€™s not terrible, but you canā€™t fix that without shortening the wheelbase. Besides, we wanted to do something different. Wayalife members, think about how many 4-door Gladiator builds you will see in the next 10 years that look almost the same. If you hate it, donā€™t worry. You wonā€™t see too many others running around.

Why didnā€™t you just make it a 2-door?
ā€¢As cool as that is, Mopar already made a very good one. We donā€™t imitate and copy. Besides, want to bet you see a 2-door, or extra-cab model sometime in the future from the factory? Best reason for the extra-cab is to be different, and because I am 6ā€™6ā€ tall without cowboy boots, I want legroom.

Who needs a Hellcat in a 4x4?
ā€¢If money is the issue, then aspire to do this one thing before you die. No offense, but if you really believe this, then you are NOT a car guy or gal. You probably ride bicycles more than you drive, you think oil companies are evil, and you also own at least one Prius or Leaf electric vehicle. Most women find youā€™re not manly enough, and you might even come from France where they power their cars with sewing machines.

Why the big fuel tank?
ā€¢See Hellcat above. The GenRight tank is very well made, its very well protected, and many are deployed in Wranglers to actually do long range desert runs (aka. Overlanding). We think we can handle the driving skills necessary.

Whatā€™s with the ā€œDog Catcherā€ box?
ā€¢This Patriot Camper rig is very cool. I saw this at SEMA last year, and I think it is terrific. It is really 2 products. The bed can be purchased separately from the camper module that mounts easily on top. Granted, on the small tires it looked a bit overwhelming. However, it was a huge hit at Overland Expo, which is not the hangout for big tire 4x4ā€™s and Wayalife members. Weā€™ll get some shots posted with the camper module now that we have the final drivetrain and tires. The storage space, quality, and features in just the bed are outstanding, and the camping module makes it second to none. OE pickup beds do look sweet, but they are not as useful, or as cool as a custom flat, or utility bed. You owe it to yourself to check it out on-line. I am not a roof top tent guy. I sleep outside, on the ground, with no tent, so the last thing I always see is the stars. Iā€™ve always wanted a good looking utility bed that held my gear, offered security, kept it well organized so I could grab my keys and go anywhere at a moments notice. Patriot Camper has this and I like it.

Seriously. Iā€™m hoping to see a bunch of you get out there, throw down your $50k, and show us how to do this thing right.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
To which I responded.

I love Wayalife members because they keep us honest and on our toes at all times. Thanks to all the critics and supporters. Controversy is what keeps this forum exciting.

Iā€™ve kept silent long enough. Now that yā€™all can see a more finished project, Iā€™d like to comment on a few questions that came up on the CodeX build.

Why didnā€™t we just do this on a JL?
ā€¢Ask Jeep why they didnā€™t just make a pickup out of a JL? The best reason is that Jeep invested many tens of millions of dollars into the Gladiator rear frame and suspension. Itā€™s designed to carry payload and perform the duty cycles of a truck, not an SUV. In addition, itā€™s already been done, very well done, many times on a JK. If we did it on a JL, Iā€™d bet dollars to dog turds that we would have had folks say: ā€œThat makes no sense when a perfectly good Jeep pickup truck is ā€¦.ā€ But, maybe Iā€™m just being cynical.

:thinking: looks to me like the millions of dollars jeep invested in the rear frame and suspension were cut out anyway.

Why did we shorten the wheelbase?
ā€¢The reason you wheel your Jeep instead of your Super Duty is because it is small and highly maneuverable. One of the biggest criticisms of the Gladiator I have read over and over is the loss of break over height, and tight maneuverability. Itā€™s not terrible, but you canā€™t fix that without shortening the wheelbase. Besides, we wanted to do something different. Wayalife members, think about how many 4-door Gladiator builds you will see in the next 10 years that look almost the same. If you hate it, donā€™t worry. You wonā€™t see too many others running around.

Wheelbase is too long to wheel.

IMG_7920.jpg

Why didnā€™t you just make it a 2-door?
ā€¢As cool as that is, Mopar already made a very good one. We donā€™t imitate and copy. Besides, want to bet you see a 2-door, or extra-cab model sometime in the future from the factory? Best reason for the extra-cab is to be different, and because I am 6ā€™6ā€ tall without cowboy boots, I want legroom.

Canā€™t fault you there as I think my JKā€™s are too small every time I get in them.

Who needs a Hellcat in a 4x4?
ā€¢If money is the issue, then aspire to do this one thing before you die. No offense, but if you really believe this, then you are NOT a car guy or gal. You probably ride bicycles more than you drive, you think oil companies are evil, and you also own at least one Prius or Leaf electric vehicle. Most women find youā€™re not manly enough, and you might even come from France where they power their cars with sewing machines.

Yeah but Iā€™ve never seen an overland build that puts a crazy big motor in that has horrible fuel mileage.

Why the big fuel tank?
ā€¢See Hellcat above. The GenRight tank is very well made, its very well protected, and many are deployed in Wranglers to actually do long range desert runs (aka. Overlanding). We think we can handle the driving skills necessary.

What is it, 32 gallons? Two 4 gallon rotopax on a roof rack with the factory tank would achieve the same exact thing no? And not leave a really weak frame in the back.

Whatā€™s with the ā€œDog Catcherā€ box?
ā€¢This Patriot Camper rig is very cool. I saw this at SEMA last year, and I think it is terrific. It is really 2 products. The bed can be purchased separately from the camper module that mounts easily on top. Granted, on the small tires it looked a bit overwhelming. However, it was a huge hit at Overland Expo, which is not the hangout for big tire 4x4ā€™s and Wayalife members. Weā€™ll get some shots posted with the camper module now that we have the final drivetrain and tires. The storage space, quality, and features in just the bed are outstanding, and the camping module makes it second to none. OE pickup beds do look sweet, but they are not as useful, or as cool as a custom flat, or utility bed. You owe it to yourself to check it out on-line. I am not a roof top tent guy. I sleep outside, on the ground, with no tent, so the last thing I always see is the stars. Iā€™ve always wanted a good looking utility bed that held my gear, offered security, kept it well organized so I could grab my keys and go anywhere at a moments notice. Patriot Camper has this and I like it.

Seriously. Iā€™m hoping to see a bunch of you get out there, throw down your $50k, and show us how to do this thing right.

The box, to each their own. As for the throwdown, thatā€™s kind of irrational isnā€™t it? 99.9% of Wayalifeā€™s are not in the business and are not going to go do a custom build like this to church up their business they donā€™t have.

As long as you folks like it, thatā€™s all that matters. No need to get butthurt because some random people on an Internet forum donā€™t like your build.

Ddays

Hooked
Just so it's not lost, SDG made fun of the Ching Chong tires on this build which caused the Chicoms to take Eddie's sites down :mad:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Just watch the video on the other thread and I would have to say from drivers door forward I dig it but weā€™ve been waiting for a Jeep truck for awhile and it would have been better to see the JT bed on it. Just my 2cents.

USMC Wrangler

I donā€™t have my now deleted comment backed up and ready to re-post like Overlander. Iā€™m almost certain it doesnā€™t matter anyway. Iā€™ll just go curl up into the fetal position and cry that I donā€™t have $50k to throw at a build.

Top Bottom