Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

SDG

Caught the Bug
So I have read both of these threads, and not being involved, here is my takeaway as a reader, and correct me if I'm wrong. ATX thinks the tire has some sort of inherent weakness which has led to both his flats. Which may or may not be the case... could be the driver...

Honestly, big tires get flats. Depends on the situation. I got a flat on a Nitto running at highway PSI in the dirt, slid into a creosote bush taking a corner too fast in the dark. Was running in CO, and a buddy got a flat on the same tires hitting a sharp rock 5 min into a trail at 2mph... ran the next 3 days with no issues. To blame the tire is a bit presumptuous to say the least. Shit happens... but that's just my 2c.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As Benito said earlier...we were in rock gardens and doing technical stuff for 2 straight days. All of our tires were being pinched and slipping with impact for most of the trip. I obviously don’t know as much about wheeling as you do, but since I was actually there i would say it could have happened literally on more than half the shit we did. I’m not trying to take the easy way out here...I’m simply being truthful.

Fair enough. Again, I'm not trying to belabor the point and really, the only one who should have any idea, is the driver. Or, at least in my opinion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have read both of these threads, and not being involved, here is my takeaway as a reader, and correct me if I'm wrong. ATX thinks the tire has some sort of inherent weakness which has led to both his flats. Which may or may not be the case... could be the driver...

Honestly, big tires get flats. Depends on the situation. I got a flat on a Nitto running at highway PSI in the dirt, slid into a creosote bush taking a corner too fast in the dark. Was running in CO, and a buddy got a flat on the same tires hitting a sharp rock 5 min into a trail at 2mph... ran the next 3 days with no issues. To blame the tire is a bit presumptuous to say the least. Shit happens... but that's just my 2c.

See, this is what I'm talking about. You didn't realize at the time that you had punctured your tires that night but then when I showed you the branch hanging out of your Trail Grappler, you immediately had an idea of when it might of happened and how.

SDG

Caught the Bug
See, this is what I'm talking about. You didn't realize at the time that you had punctured your tires that night but then when I showed you the branch hanging out of your Trail Grappler, you immediately had an idea of when it might of happened and how.
True story. Also doesn't hurt that I know I drive like an asshole and I often go a lot faster than I probably should be going haha.

JAGS

Hooked
True story. Also doesn't hurt that I know I drive like an asshole and I often go a lot faster than I probably should be going haha.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Who has slid into a bush at high speeds in the dark and hurt something.

Fair enough. Again, I'm not trying to belabor the point and really, the only one who should have any idea, is the driver. Or, at least in my opinion.

I understand your point. And also understand that’s where this whole conversation started. I got upset when you literally said “we kind of suck at wheeling” because we didn’t know exactly where the sidewall split happened. Sorry to keep bringing up my point.

Swept under the rug.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand your point. And also understand that’s where this whole conversation started. I got upset when you literally said “we kind of suck at wheeling” because we didn’t know exactly where the sidewall split happened. Sorry to keep bringing up my point.

Swept under the rug.

:cheesy: Got it. I should have clarified that the "DRIVER kind of sucks at wheeling" if he doesn't have pretty good idea of where the sidewall split might have occurred. I won't lie, I still stand by that but admit it wasn't fair of me to include the rest of you in this assessment. I suppose I just threw it out there because a few of your friends were trying to defend the driver. Again, my apologies.

aTX427

:cheesy: Got it. I should have clarified that the "DRIVER kind of sucks at wheeling" if he doesn't have pretty good idea of where the sidewall split might have occurred. I won't lie, I still stand by that but admit it wasn't fair of me to include the rest of you in this assessment. I suppose I just threw it out there because a few of your friends were trying to defend the driver. Again, my apologies.

Eddie, I have a lot of respect for you and you helped out quite a bit during my build when you did't have to. For that I will always be grateful, but to say that I suck at driving, because I don't know when the tire split is total bullshit. The tires still relatively new to the market and don't come with a manual that specifies tire pressure for conditions. They felt good at 10, everyone else was running 10 and my rig is significantly lighter than those with me. They are c-rated 40's with a lot of sidewall that were aired down to 10 and they tore on a rock. End of discussion.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Again, if a driver doesn't know what caused a sidewall failure, the failure was caused by him.
Man even when I punctured my sidewall in the fall I knew what did it and I realized it right away. It was kinda the only line I could take tho lol
Had the tire lost pressure when it split, I could probably provide more information, but it held pressure after the tire sliced. Everything we did was technical that day - start to finish and i didn't notice until someone else pointed out the damage.

I didn't have to be winched out or get stuck, so there wasn't an ah-ha moment I can refer to. I can tell you that if there was a trail I could point to it was the flag pole run, the first run of the first day, but it certainly did not happen there. My guess would be the trail were Mike was hung up, because we noticed it shortly thereafter, but I cleared the obstacle without an issue. On that particular trail, the far side you can't see on the picture had a steep v-notched angle, which put a lot of pressure on the sidewall, but that was the drivers side. There were numerous places were the boulders rolled as we went over them. Any one of them could have tore the tire. The tire failed - no big deal. It's only a tire.

There is no way with how large that year is that you didn’t hear it. I had one an 1/8 of that and I heard it. You need to be more aware of your rig and the noises it makes.
I’m not that sensitive. If you’d ask my wife, she’d wish I was more sensitive.

But sure, maybe I (don’t know about the others) took offense to being labeled as a Jeep owner that “kind of sucks at wheeling” for a situation you were not even there for.

But to eddies point he wasn’t there and you were, or maybe you weren’t since you can’t think of a single spot where he could have punctured the tire.
Eddie, I have a lot of respect for you and you helped out quite a bit during my build when you did't have to. For that I will always be grateful, but to say that I suck at driving, because I don't know when the tire split is total bullshit. The tires still relatively new to the market and don't come with a manual that specifies tire pressure for conditions. They felt good at 10, everyone else was running 10 and my rig is significantly lighter than those with me. They are c-rated 40's with a lot of sidewall that were aired down to 10 and they tore on a rock. End of discussion.
Your a bad driver cause you don’t know your own rig and notice when it’s making a different noise, especially with a tear that large. A good driver knows
If something is wrong with his vehicle before it gets bad.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Your a bad driver cause you don’t know your own rig and notice when it’s making a different noise, especially with a tear that large. A good driver knows
If something is wrong with his vehicle before it gets bad.

Please educate us, what noise does a tire make when the sidewall splits but continues to hold air? Is it loud? Would you be able to hear it over multiple engines running? Would you be able to hear it over exhaust noise? Are we supposed to check our Jeeps after every driving over every rock?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Please educate us, what noise does a tire make when the sidewall splits but continues to hold air? Is it loud? Would you be able to hear it over multiple engines running? Would you be able to hear it over exhaust noise? Are we supposed to check our Jeeps after every driving over every rock?

It has a hissing noise anytime you put pressure on it and it allows the tire to split. It’s loud enough that if your paying attention you would hear it as your driving around multiple rigs like I did. It isn’t hard. Pull your head out of your buddies ass next time and you will hear it

Benito

Caught the Bug
It has a hissing noise anytime you put pressure on it and it allows the tire to split. It’s loud enough that if your paying attention you would hear it as your driving around multiple rigs like I did. It isn’t hard. Pull your head out of your buddies ass next time and you will hear it

I guess you didn’t read any of the post we wrote in this thread or you clearly missed these:

We were going over obstacles and met up with the rest of the group when one of them noticed the gash, it didn’t start losing pressure until we started rolling again.

Had the tire lost pressure when it split, I could probably provide more information, but it held pressure after the tire sliced.

what noise does a tire make when the sidewall splits but continues to hold air?

You right though, once a tire begins to leak, it does make a hissing sound, because after we found the gash and started rolling again, shortly thereafter it started to hiss whenever pressure was applied. However, when side wall was damaged and when we saw the damage to the side wall the tire was not hissing and was holding air.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I guess you didn’t read any of the post we wrote in this thread or you clearly missed these:

You right though, once a tire begins to leak, it does make a hissing sound, because after we found the gash and started rolling again, shortly thereafter it started to hiss whenever pressure was applied. However, when side wall was damaged and when we saw the damage to the side wall the tire was not hissing and was holding air.

Oh I read the whole thread and I did read all of those posts. Mine did the same thing, only leaked when pressure was applied. The only difference between me and you guys tho is that I listen to my jeep and noticed right away when DRIVING on the trails and pressure was applied to that spot that I heard it hiss. Clearly tho I didn’t see it until I stopped about 50 yards later and had to look closer to see the gash
IMG_7955.jpg

Benito

Caught the Bug
Oh I read the whole thread and I did read all of those posts. Mine did the same thing, only leaked when pressure was applied. The only difference between me and you guys tho is that I listen to my jeep and noticed right away when DRIVING on the trails and pressure was applied to that spot that I heard it hiss. Clearly tho I didn’t see it until I stopped about 50 yards later and had to look closer to see the gash
View attachment 294636

And I’m telling you, since i was there and you weren’t, that the tire was holding pressure and held pressure when we finally saw it and continued to hold pressure for another hour after we saw it and made no noise in that time period. When the tire finally started to leak you could hear the noise you are talking about.

Top Bottom