Front Rubicon 44 Build up

Well after much thought, I decided I will save for a pr44. Now here are the questions I have about the prorock with 37's in mind. I want:

-ARB air locker
-Chromo shafts with full circle clips
-synergy ball joints

I have heard that 35 spline shafts can/will cause a leaking problem because they are too big... Is this true? If so, I guess my only other option is 30 spline shafts. What options should I be looking for with the housing itself? Extreme duty, unlimited, etc... I will purchase a 1350 front drive shaft, will I need a rear too for 37's or just replace that if It breaks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well after much thought, I decided I will save for a pr44. Now here are the questions I have about the prorock with 37's in mind. I want:

-ARB air locker
-Chromo shafts with full circle clips
-synergy ball joints

If you're not gonna get ProSteers, you might as well just get Crown HD joints as they are the same thing as Synergy only costs less.

I have heard that 35 spline shafts can/will cause a leaking problem because they are too big... Is this true? If so, I guess my only other option is 30 spline shafts.

Well, if you heard it on the internet, it must be true - BONJOUR :standing wave:

What options should I be looking for with the housing itself? Extreme duty, unlimited, etc...

I would get the Unlimited with extreme duty brackets being it only costs a bit more, comes with 1/2" thick tubes and built in 6° caster.

I will purchase a 1350 front drive shaft, will I need a rear too for 37's or just replace that if It breaks

Not if you have an Unlimited. Sure, it would be good to have eventually but it's not critical.

If you're not gonna get ProSteers, you might as well just get Crown HD joints as they are the same thing as Synergy only costs less.

Well, if you heard it on the internet, it must be true - BONJOUR :standing wave:

I would get the Unlimited with extreme duty brackets being it only costs a bit more, comes with 1/2" thick tubes and built in 6° caster.

Not if you have an Unlimited. Sure, it would be good to have eventually but it's not critical.

So 35 spline shafts...or no? David at northridge suggested I go 30 spline so I'm not sure if that information is correct or he'd rather sell me 30 spline because they have more in stock. I may get the pro steer depending on how much I have saved at the time of purchase.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So 35 spline shafts...or no? David at northridge suggested I go 30 spline so I'm not sure if that information is correct or he'd rather sell me 30 spline because they have more in stock. I may get the pro steer depending on how much I have saved at the time of purchase.

Unless he knows something that I don't, I have and would run 35 splines. I mean, you're building a PR44 with a new ARB locker right? If so, I didn't even think they offered a locker option for the PR44 that wasn't 35 spline. :idontknow:

Unless he knows something that I don't, I have and would run 35 splines. I mean, you're building a PR44 with a new ARB locker right? If so, I didn't even think they offered a locker option for the PR44 that wasn't 35 spline. :idontknow:

Ok, thank you for the help. I thought it was a little strange to not run 35 spline shafts in a pr44.

Thanks,
Sean

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, thank you for the help. I thought it was a little strange to not run 35 spline shafts in a pr44.

Thanks,
Sean

Well, like I said, I don't think ARB even makes a locker that will take anything but 35 spline. In fact, I just had a conversation with Dynatrac about it and I'm pretty sure they confirmed as much. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

He's the same guy that says you need to sleeve an axle to prevent it from bending at the diff. :crazyeyes:

Well, like I said, I don't think ARB even makes a locker that will take anything but 35 spline. In fact, I just had a conversation with Dynatrac about it and I'm pretty sure they confirmed as much. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.

I trust your judgement, especially with the number of axles you've been able to run over the years. Looks like 35 spline shafts it is!

turbineguy

I think they do. I have a prorock with ARBs that I was told was 30 spline by the tech who built it. I wish I had gone 35 but didn't specify to shop building it. Learned my lesson.

Its part number RD-117.

http://www.dynatrac.com/pdfs/ProRoc...akbd9GdDXoVbKssVg&sig2=Xkz8_bKEw4yfecWe6YgcPw

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think they do. I have a prorock with ARBs that I was told was 30 spline by the tech who built it. I wish I had gone 35 but didn't specify to shop building it. Learned my lesson.

Its part number RD-117.

http://www.dynatrac.com/pdfs/ProRoc...akbd9GdDXoVbKssVg&sig2=Xkz8_bKEw4yfecWe6YgcPw

Unfortunately, the link you provided is bad. Also, I just looked back at an old discussion I had with Dyantrac regarding the ARB and verified that it only comes in a 35 spline option. Unless something has changed since then, I don't think you can get it in a 30.

TheDuff

Part number rd-117 is a 30 spline, but is a rear locker

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heholua

My PR44 has the 30 spline ARB in it as well. I believe you can use this locker but have use the Rubi carrier bearings. I bought mine from Northridge, maybe David can chime in.
I was also told by Northridge that I would have seal leakage problems if I went with the 35 spline shafts.

Last edited:

turbineguy

Unfortunately, the link you provided is bad. Also, I just looked back at an old discussion I had with Dyantrac regarding the ARB and verified that it only comes in a 35 spline option. Unless something has changed since then, I don't think you can get it in a 30.

I hope you are right, because that would mean I do have 35 spline in front. I think I have all the paperwork in my garage. I will double check.

Try the faq from this link on the downloads page. The other link was from Google search. Same file.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products/jk/pro-rock44.html

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

ChaosNein

RD147/RD157 both are ARB fr lockers one is for Rubi44 / replacing E-locker in factory housing or PR44 housing. the other is the locker used when having PR44 built complete (not housing only) BOTH are 35 spline.

Top Bottom