Full cages - let's see them

Ddays

Hooked
He doesn't drive it on the street. Still a lot of money though and a lot of work.

Huh, I took it as it's not a DD but still isn't a trailered only kind of rig. Oh well, either way that $6-7k is your DTD right there.

aTX427

True, my understanding is that the JK uses the A and B pillars to stabilize the interior, but if you flop it or lay into a tree or boulder, the cost of those damaged parts easily makes up the difference in cost. Not that I would spend $6k, but $2,500 for a prefab cage vs $1,900 for a sport cage is relatively close.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
True, my understanding is that the JK uses the A and B pillars to stabilize the interior, but if you flop it or lay into a tree or boulder, the cost of those damaged parts easily makes up the difference in cost. Not that I would spend $6k, but $2,500 for a prefab cage vs $1,900 for a sport cage is relatively close.

Very true but the full cage won't save body panels from damage. It's only job is to protect the occupants. What is your aim here? Occupant safety or body panel damage? Again, I'd argue that unless you are worried about a high speed incident, a sport cage will be more that enough protection.

aTX427

Very true but the full cage won't save body panels from damage. It's only job is to protect the occupants. What is your aim here? Occupant safety or body panel damage? Again, I'd argue that unless you are worried about a high speed incident, a sport cage will be more that enough protection.

It will limit damage if I remove the windshield, chop the B-pillar and run corners. Those are the big ticket items prone to trailer damage. Plus it looks cool.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It will limit damage if I remove the windshield, chop the B-pillar and run corners. Those are the big ticket items prone to trailer damage. Plus it looks cool.

Clearly, I'm not playing anywhere near as hard as you or at least, don't have a Jeep that looks anywhere close to as cool as you're wanting yours to look :crazyeyes:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Don't mean to butt in here but $6-7K for a rollcage for a street driven Jeep? :shock: Unless you plan on dropping off of Black Bear or doing KOH, anything you encounter is gonna be a slow roll situation and the sport cages will more than hold up for that. :twocents:

It's a stretch to say anything he will encounter will be a slow roll situation. There are plenty of places to end up in a multiple rollover situation.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A factory roll bar is designed to protect it's occupants even if the Jeep rolls multiple times. Don't believe me, here's an article where a guy rolled his 2007 Jeep Wrangler "an estimated 20 times while tumbling down Mountain Creek's steepest ski trail, where motorized vehicles are prohibited." I would imagine it was a slow speed roll but 20 times is 20 times.

http://www.njherald.com/story/22504605/jeep-driver-has-no-memory-of-mountain-crash#

Now, this is a Jeep that I've personally seen survive 4 rolls doing 70+ MPH. It is my opinion that my friend survived thanks to the wimpy "sport cage" he had installed in it.

20170718102805-ea964ce8-me.jpg

For sure, there is a definitely a place for a full cage but in my opinion, most of the guys who think they need one, don't.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I wish I was cool enough to run a full cage :grayno:

Instead, here I am, stuck with my far less superior Rockhard Sport Cage. :rolleyes2:

Ddays

Hooked
It's a stretch to say anything he will encounter will be a slow roll situation. There are plenty of places to end up in a multiple rollover situation.

That may be true but multiple rolls implies either a high speed wreck as Eddie mentioned or rolling off a hill. I would think the biggest danger there would be an ejection. The sport cages are remarkably stout.

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Guys, pump the brakes. Although I prefer look of a full cage, I am simply exploring options. If I had all the answers, I would not have solicited advice and commentary. Eddie made a great case for the Evo over RH, and I didn't find any sport cage for my 2007 from Evo. That left RH who has a nice product or PS, who does not tie into the windshield without customization. There are fewer full cage options without going custom. Based on funding priorities, my limited time and lack of welding skills on tube, the choice seems clear. I will most likely wait for Evo to release their 2007 sport cage and work towards a set of PR60's and cylinder assist before my Moab trip in December. Crazy how those three things cost more than you Jeep is worth, but that is how we roll - right. Thank you to all who contributed.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Wait a minute.... this isn't how this is supposed to work!!!

You're supposed to pretend like you know everything and try to fight everyone because your opinion is the only one that matters. Then this thread goes to the infirmary, you tell us to stop drinking the kool-aid, and then make YouTube videos about how much we suck.

UUUGGGHHHHH

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Brakes pumped. Have you called EVO recently? I was pretty sure they said their 2007-10 cage should be out by now.

GraniteCrystal

Guys, pump the brakes. Although I prefer look of a full cage, I am simply exploring options. If I had all the answers, I would not have solicited advice and commentary. Eddie made a great case for the Evo over RH, and I didn't find any sport cage for my 2007 from Evo. That left RH who has a nice product or PS, who does not tie into the windshield without customization. There are fewer full cage options without going custom. Based on funding priorities, my limited time and lack of welding skills on tube, the choice seems clear. I will most likely wait for Evo to release their 2007 sport cage and work towards a set of PR60's and cylinder assist before my Moab trip in December. Crazy how those three things cost more than you Jeep is worth, but that is how we roll - right. Thank you to all who contributed.
I think piginajeep or Sharkey recently commented that the Evo cage is available in 2007-2011. You just have to call ORE and ask about it.

Turbotastic

07-11 EVO sport cage is currently up on EVO MFG website. I would just go with that and be done with it. I'd be placing my order right now if I didn't already have a RH cage.

aTX427

Wait a minute.... this isn't how this is supposed to work!!!

You're supposed to pretend like you know everything and try to fight everyone because your opinion is the only one that matters. Then this thread goes to the infirmary, you tell us to stop drinking the kool-aid, and then make YouTube videos about how much we suck.

UUUGGGHHHHH

LOL, you think you hate me now, wait until you meet me J/K, but seriously thank you for your help. BTW, how is the pheasant hunting looking this year?

LOL!! Brakes pumped. Have you called EVO recently? I was pretty sure they said their 2007-10 cage should be out by now.

Eddie, your guidance is always appreciated. I did speak with Evo today and they expect to have final production ready within the next few weeks, so I can wait.

07-11 EVO sport cage is currently up on EVO MFG website. I would just go with that and be done with it. I'd be placing my order right now if I didn't already have a RH cage.

Yes, that is the plan. I think they have some universal parts on the site, but didn't have the front on the last time I checked.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I had the pleasure of wheeling with aTX427 a few weeks ago. He is a pretty mellow guy. Doesn't seem like the type to go 'full retard' on here.

Top Bottom