Full cages - let's see them

tippedover

So I have always wondered this and it seems to have been brought up in this post. When people say you don't really need a cage for the what if, and the factory cage is solid. That said why do people spend lots of money on cages if the factory is fine? (I alway assumed it was for protection but people are saying the factory is fine..)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have always wondered this and it seems to have been brought up in this post. When people say you don't really need a cage for the what if, and the factory cage is solid. That said why do people spend lots of money on cages if the factory is fine? (I alway assumed it was for protection but people are saying the factory is fine..)

There are aspects of the factory roll bar that aren't exactly stellar and the improvements you can make to them with something like a good sport cage will make them better/stronger. Is it necessary? Maybe not but to me, the cost isn't really all that much especially for the added benefits you will have. I can't speak for anyone else but Cindy and I do a lot of fast and hard driving and that's why we prefer to have a sport cage in our JK's. If all we ever did was rock crawl, I'd feel more than safe with just the factory roll bar. But then, that's just me.

tippedover

There are aspects of the factory roll bar that aren't exactly stellar and the improvements you can make to them with something like a good sport cage will make them better/stronger. Is it necessary? Maybe not but to me, the cost isn't really all that much especially for the added benefits you will have. I can't speak for anyone else but Cindy and I do a lot of fast and hard driving and that's why we prefer to have a sport cage in our JK's. If all we ever did was rock crawl, I'd feel more than safe with just the factory roll bar. But then, that's just me.

Great way to put it simple for me lol. Thanks

aTX427

That is what I discovered as well. Unlike previous models; e.g., YJ, TJ, etc, the factory ties the body into the cage at the top of the B-pillar fairly well. Improvements from a sport cage enhance the framework creating a decent cocoon. Without significant customization, the full cage separates the cage from the frame from the body. If one was to take a tumble that separates the body from frame, a cage would be beneficial if the seating was built into the cage, but arguably more dangerous compared to having the body tied in as well like the sport cages do. But what do I know.

GraniteCrystal

Do you guys have some videos of the fast and hard? Most of the wayalife I've seen has been more rock crawling. I'd like to see some of the other if you have recommendations.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Cages have some value but I would think the best way to stay safe is also free: buckle your seatbelt. Modern cars are pretty well designed to protect you, but they can't do it if you fly out in a crash.

black pearl

Hooked
Cages have some value but I would think the best way to stay safe is also free: buckle your seatbelt. Modern cars are pretty well designed to protect you, but they can't do it if you fly out in a crash.

Right! Most jeep fatalities I hear about, no seat belts and being thrown, or crushed by the cage.

aTX427

I had the pleasure of wheeling with aTX427 a few weeks ago. He is a pretty mellow guy. Doesn't seem like the type to go 'full retard' on here.

Thanks man. I like to think I've mellowed with age, but those full flame out threads are entertaining. I'm looking forward to earn the right to break chops, but still have a lot to learn and I'm not too proud to admit it. We are all here to have fun - right?

RUBEERCON

Has anyone ever welded custom bars onto the stock bars. Basically a weld on sport cage...
I thought about looking into doing something like this, my friend has a commercial tube bender and he can tig some really clean beads. He was a late model chassis builder back in the day so I'm pretty sure he would have some good ideas on how to do it.

jk12blk

Has anyone ever welded custom bars onto the stock bars. Basically a weld on sport cage...
I thought about looking into doing something like this, my friend has a commercial tube bender and he can tig some really clean beads. He was a late model chassis builder back in the day so I'm pretty sure he would have some good ideas on how to do it.

Check out Synergy/Poly Performance. They offer the A, B, and C pillar as weld in. Here are a few photos to give you an idea. The A and B have frame tie ins (A frame tie shown in the pic below). The B pillar is basically a couple down tubes that weld to a floor plate like A and also includes a harness bar. I think I paid $600 for the A and C to my door (got a great deal last year). I still need to do the B pillar. Cutting the dash was not that bad - just takes a little time and synergy includes the templates.

Capture3.jpg Capture5.jpg Capture6.jpg Capture7.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Check out Synergy/Poly Performance. They offer the A, B, and C pillar as weld in. Here are a few photos to give you an idea. The A and B have frame tie ins (A frame tie shown in the pic below). The B pillar is basically a couple down tubes that weld to a floor plate like A and also includes a harness bar. I think I paid $600 for the A and C to my door (got a great deal last year). I still need to do the B pillar. Cutting the dash was not that bad - just takes a little time and synergy includes the templates.

View attachment 268897 View attachment 268898 View attachment 268899 View attachment 268900

Love your sliders where'd the company you got them from copy them?...:crazyeyes:

Brute

Hooked

I'd agree with this...I'm far more worried getting cut off on the highway doing 75-80 and rolling than on the trail...we spend 90% of our driving on highway...and after going with bigger tires and adding weight with all the mods, our jeeps aren't as nimble as they were stock to get out of harms way.

I gave some thought to going with a full custom cage for my JK6...after quite a bit of thought, I felt a pre-fabbed sport cage was more than adequate, with further protection from a custom bed cage tied into the frame.

Top Bottom