Fusion 4x4 Axles / Dynatrac Dump

wjtstudios

Hooked
I went 72” and glad I did but I’m also running 4.75 offset. For 3.5 offset wheels, I’d probably stick with the 68.5 or whatever the factory width is.

Agreed, 72 with 4.5 backspacing. Much better scrub radius.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
I went 72” and glad I did but I’m also running 4.75 offset. For 3.5 offset wheels, I’d probably stick with the 68.5 or whatever the factory width is.

Agreed, 72 with 4.5 backspacing. Much better scrub radius.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

What I concluded. Have a line on some cheaper UD60s, but kinda prefer the wider Fusions with more BS wheels. Still thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

SLO

What I concluded. Have a line on some cheaper UD60s, but kinda prefer the wider Fusions with more BS wheels. Still thinking about it.

Why did I think you bought Fusion 60’s around the same time I did? Were you going to order them a couple years back?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Got ya, didn't have to look hard to find it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Got it! Had to read through the first 15 pages. Kinda crappy, but that's how the marketing is going now- damn you tubers and the new generation...

Dynatrac's FB page is loaded with lite brite nation stuff. Funny they didn't mention giving them the axles for the publicity.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Why did I think you bought Fusion 60’s around the same time I did? Were you going to order them a couple years back?

You might have been thinking of A.J. He got some Fusion 60/60s around that time.

MericaMade

So, if you guys were to buy a set of 60s between Dana and Fusion what is the better bang for your buck? I read a lot of Dana breaking in the past but that seems to have been addressed. Is one more readily available than the other? Are price points and sourcing parts about the same between these two?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, if you guys were to buy a set of 60s between Dana and Fusion what is the better bang for your buck? I read a lot of Dana breaking in the past but that seems to have been addressed. Is one more readily available than the other? Are price points and sourcing parts about the same between these two?

You're always gonna pay more and wait a lot longer for a custom axle but you typically get what you pay for. I decided to give Dana UD60's a test being that they are crate axles and because of it, way more affordable and readily available - as in, you can usually get them in a day or two. As you've noted, they did have problems early on but from what I've seen, they've been addressed. If you haven't already seen it, here's a thread I made regarding my experiences with them.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...URE-TESTED-amp-PROVEN-on-the-JL-JT-Experience

If I had to do it again, I would and without any hesitations. Granted, I am just a mall crawler who never wheels so you can take what I've said for whatever it's worth.

fiend

Caught the Bug
You're always gonna pay more and wait a lot longer for a custom axle but you typically get what you pay for. I decided to give Dana UD60's a test being that they are crate axles and because of it, way more affordable and readily available - as in, you can usually get them in a day or two. As you've noted, they did have problems early on but from what I've seen, they've been addressed. If you haven't already seen it, here's a thread I made regarding my experiences with them.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...URE-TESTED-amp-PROVEN-on-the-JL-JT-Experience

If I had to do it again, I would and without any hesitations. Granted, I am just a mall crawler who never wheels so you can take what I've said for whatever it's worth.

Do you think it makes a big difference to minimize scrub radius? All else being equal (which I know, it’s usually not), would you prefer a 69” wide axle with 3.5” BS wheels, or a 72” wide axle with 4.75” BS wheels? For the JK, those would be the set ups with, respectively, UD60s and Fusion axles. I’ve seen the “go wide” thread re Rubicat from a few years ago, highlighting reduced scrub radius. Just wondering if it really makes a difference, particularly a difference that’s worth the price difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think it makes a big difference to minimize scrub radius? All else being equal (which I know, it’s usually not), would you prefer a 69” wide axle with 3.5” BS wheels, or a 72” wide axle with 4.75” BS wheels? For the JK, those would be the set ups with, respectively, UD60s and Fusion axles. I’ve seen the “go wide” thread re Rubicat from a few years ago, highlighting reduced scrub radius. Just wondering if it really makes a difference, particularly a difference that’s worth the price difference.

Having run both setups, this is what I can tell you. Unless you're running a DTD system, I'd be hard pressed to recommend 72". With a bolt on coilover system or standard coil and shock setup, you can still run wheels with more back spacing and still achieve the same benefits. Even with a DTD, 1-tons will have bigger ball joints and hubs so they'll hold up much better even with wheels with less back spacing and if you're going that big, you're probably running a ram assist and so steering really isn't an issue either. Of course, going 72" means you'll be running custom shafts that you can ONLY get from Dynatrac.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Having run both setups, this is what I can tell you. Unless you're running a DTD system, I'd be hard pressed to recommend 72". With a bolt on coilover system or standard coil and shock setup, you can still run wheels with more back spacing and still achieve the same benefits. Even with a DTD, 1-tons will have bigger ball joints and hubs so they'll hold up much better even with wheels with less back spacing and if you're going that big, you're probably running a ram assist and so steering really isn't an issue either. Of course, going 72" means you'll be running custom shafts that you can ONLY get from Dynatrac.

Thanks. If I were to go with 60s, it’d be because I’m going to 40s (from 37s). I’m currently running ram assist on a PR44 and would be doing that with 60s too. I’m not running a DTD or coil overs and probably never will. But I really don’t want to lose turning radius, to the extent possible. Do you think 40s would rub at full lock on a 69” wide axle with 3.5” BS wheels?

benatc1

Hooked
Are you running 3.5 backspacing wheels on your gladiator? With the DTD front. I actually hadn't thought about the custom length axle shafts with the 72.5 width. Which could prove to be a a pain if it take some time to a replacement, in the event of a failure (which probably isn't super common). Probably not a deal breaker for me, idk, but another thing to consider when going that direction

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. If I were to go with 60s, it’d be because I’m going to 40s (from 37s). I’m currently running ram assist on a PR44 and would be doing that with 60s too. I’m not running a DTD or coil overs and probably never will. But I really don’t want to lose turning radius, to the extent possible. Do you think 40s would rub at full lock on a 69” wide axle with 3.5” BS wheels?

Moby has 68.5" ProRocks and running 40" tires with 3.5" back spacing. Even with DTD's, he has no rubbing. With that said, you will not have the same turning circle that a 44 has with 1-tons.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you running 3.5 backspacing wheels on your gladiator? With the DTD front. I actually hadn't thought about the custom length axle shafts with the 72.5 width. Which could prove to be a a pain if it take some time to a replacement, in the event of a failure (which probably isn't super common). Probably not a deal breaker for me, idk, but another thing to consider when going that direction

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes. We're running Machetes and they have 3.5" of back spacing.

MericaMade

Thanks Eddie. Really good info to know moving forward when I decide to go 60s. I have zero complaints on my PR44 I just know that once the stock rear starts to cost me any money I am putting that to a set of 60s. I like the price point and faster delivery of the UD60 but again been very happy with my PR44!

ctznarcane

Moby has 68.5" ProRocks and running 40" tires with 3.5" back spacing. Even with DTD's, he has no rubbing. With that said, you will not have the same turning circle that a 44 has with 1-tons.

Is that with the Chamber II wheels (I thought their BS was 4.06")?

I have the same wheels and am debating what width for DTD, 40s.

Top Bottom