Geoffro's driveway Jeep build

BaddestCross

I've been really wanting to take my hardtop off the jeep for awhile now. I think I've finally figured out a way to do it. I have some criteria though.

1st, I need to be able to remove and replace the top on my own, without help.

2ed, the top needs to store on the side of my house, going through a gate, and squeezing down the sidewalk with only 29 inches of room between the wall and my shed.

So I've come up with a plan. Here's some super crude, not-to-scale plans I drew up. View attachment 260984 View attachment 260985 Today was a perfect day to be outside so I started cutting up some wood to start on the hardtop mounting board. View attachment 260986 this is the part that the top will attach to with some long bolts. View attachment 260987 There are still many more parts of this cart to build. I'm going to try to make it so I can break the cart down easily and store it flat against a wall. By the end of this week I should have it complete.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Nothing against innovation or anything, but what's wrong with the one that another member posted up here? Pretty simple and seems to work just fine.

JeepJeep75

Nothing against innovation or anything, but what's wrong with the one that another member posted up here? Pretty simple and seems to work just fine.

This cart will be like none I have seen before. The top will come off the jeep onto the cart in its horizontal position. Like a forklift coming up behind the jeep. With the cart in that position, I can nudge the top onto the cart on my own, no help. Then the top rotates 90 deg to a vertical position. The trick is getting the point of rotation close to the center of gravity of the top, and keeping that center of gravity over the footprint of the base of the cart.

BaddestCross

This cart will be like none I have seen before. The top will come off the jeep onto the cart in its horizontal position. Like a forklift coming up behind the jeep. With the cart in that position, I can nudge the top onto the cart on my own, no help. Then the top rotates 90 deg to a vertical position. The trick is getting the point of rotation close to the center of gravity of the top, and keeping that center of gravity over the footprint of the base of the cart.

Sounds very cool! Look forward to seeing the final product. 👍

I just pulled mine off last weekend and left it on an old carpet in my driveway because I have yet to have a cart solution myself, so very interested. 😎

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I've been really wanting to take my hardtop off the jeep for awhile now. I think I've finally figured out a way to do it. I have some criteria though.

1st, I need to be able to remove and replace the top on my own, without help.

2ed, the top needs to store on the side of my house, going through a gate, and squeezing down the sidewalk with only 29 inches of room between the wall and my shed.

So I've come up with a plan. Here's some super crude, not-to-scale plans I drew up. View attachment 260984 View attachment 260985 Today was a perfect day to be outside so I started cutting up some wood to start on the hardtop mounting board. View attachment 260986 this is the part that the top will attach to with some long bolts. View attachment 260987 There are still many more parts of this cart to build. I'm going to try to make it so I can break the cart down easily and store it flat against a wall. By the end of this week I should have it complete.

Cool idea! Sorry about your axle housing though. Can you re-weld the plug to buy some time?

JeepJeep75

IMG_8812.jpg next to build is the base of the cart. IMG_8813.jpg the casters need to be ridged to each other so I used my last big scrap of good plywood for this IMG_8814.jpg used some locking type casters. The locks will be necessary when transferring the hardtop from jeep and back. IMG_8815.jpg IMG_8816.jpg now I know how high my main riser has to be. Can you guys see how it's going to work yet?

JeepJeep75

IMG_8823.jpg all four folding batten feet are now on the riser. Now the riser can sit on the base of the cart. [emoji106] It's coming together fellas!! I can't wait to see my hardtop on this!!

JeepJeep75

I am really interested in how this will turn out. Looks good so far [emoji106][emoji108]

Me too! The idea is very interesting.

Damn good work. Looks nice.

Thank you fellas!! Tomorrow I will work on building a footing for the riser to lock down onto the base of the cart. It's gonna break down into three main pieces when it's being stored.

JeepJeep75

IMG_8827.jpg I got the three main pieces of the cart in my garage. I can still squeeze through to the back so I'm taking that as a win. Once the construction debris is gone I will find permanent homes on my wall for the hardtop cart.

Top Bottom