HALF TIME - Rugged Ridge JK Half Doors for MOBY

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy:

I've had my uppers on the last couple of days. They are my least favorite part of these doors, followed closely by the weak door strap they come with. :crazyeyes: But they work and serve their intended purpose. :yup:

No kidding. What seems to be the problem with them? Or, should I just open up the boxes and give it a look for myself :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had my uppers on the last couple of days. They are my least favorite part of these doors, followed closely by the weak door strap they come with. :crazyeyes: But they work and serve their intended purpose. :yup:

Okay, without making all the adjustments and trimming the surrounds, I just gave the front one a quick try and yeah, it looks like it's gonna be bit of a bitch to make work well. Did you install the Velcro to your doors?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Okay, without making all the adjustments and trimming the surrounds, I just gave the front one a quick try and yeah, it looks like it's gonna be bit of a bitch to make work well. Did you install the Velcro to your doors?

:cheesy: yeah they are a pain. Mine are okay but not great. No. I wasn't going to ruin the nice looking door with Velcro. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: yeah they are a pain. Mine are okay but not great. No. I wasn't going to ruin the nice looking door with Velcro. :crazyeyes:

:cheesy: That was the first thing that came to my mind. If I paint these things, there is no way I am going to stick a Velcro strip on and ruin them :crazyeyes:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Nice!!! Half doors need to be my next major upgrade before the weather in Southeast Texas turns to shit again.

Last edited:

GCM 2

In one word: Half doors are stupid and should never be run on anything. My list of reasons below-

- They are dangerous and irresponsible, you can get sunburned and windburned from all the exposure to the elements.
- If you have a dog riding with you, they can now get far too much fresh air.
- Since the RR doors are only 24lbs(?) a piece, your jeep will now be several hundred pounds lighter without the full doors, which probably causes instability at hwy speeds due to the vehicle now being far too light
- When you are out and about, people can have conversations with you at stop lights and say things like "Hey man that is an awesome Hummer". All because you now have stupid half-doors and can now hear them.

I could go on, but its just pointless now......;)

jkjurny

For the longest time, if you were to have asked me what I thought about half doors, I would have been the first to say that I don't like them. I mean sure, they look cool and I had even considered buying a Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited with them on in the past but for the most part, I've never really been a fan. They let in too much noise, the window are difficult to use and really, when given the chance, I would just prefer to run doorless.

About a year ago, my friend Greg picked up a set of Rugged Ridge half doors and at the time, made a comment to the effect that, half doors were "just stupid" but that they did serve a purpose and that he could still run graphics/logos on them. More recently, during the 2014 JK-Experience, my friend Randy laid his Jeep on its side but, thanks to his half doors, you could hardly tell he went over at all. Of course, it was on this same trip that Moby took on a considerable amount of damage to both passenger side doors and, I think it was about then that I decided it might be time to finally give half doors another look.

Now, I should note that our first priority was to still find a set of replacement full doors as both Cindy and I still prefer them but, the idea would be to now leave them at home and run half doors whenever we knew we'd be playing a bit harder. Certainly, half doors would be lighter in weight, cheaper to fix or replace if needed and by their design, would offer a lot more visibility on the trail. And, after seen all the options available in person, we came to the conclusion that the Rugged Ridge JK half doors were the ones we wanted to get..

To make a long story short, here's a pic of what Brown Santa just dropped off - a brand new set of Rugged Ridge half doors for a Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited 4-door complete with soft uppers.
main.php

We have an appointment to have these painted but it's not until next week and so I thought, what the hell, let's do do a quick test fit just for fun.
main.php

Shot of what the inside looks like.
main.php

Of course, since I was already at it, I figured, why not add a mirror and the back doors... you know, just because :D
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

I'll be sure to post up more pics once the doors have been painted. I do have the soft uppers for these and will try to get pics of installed as well. :yup:

Those look sweet!!! Saving up for mine now!

Hightower

In one word: Half doors are stupid and should never be run on anything. My list of reasons below-

- They are dangerous and irresponsible, you can get sunburned and windburned from all the exposure to the elements.
- If you have a dog riding with you, they can now get far too much fresh air.
- Since the RR doors are only 24lbs(?) a piece, your jeep will now be several hundred pounds lighter without the full doors, which probably causes instability at hwy speeds due to the vehicle now being far too light
- When you are out and about, people can have conversations with you at stop lights and say things like "Hey man that is an awesome Hummer". All because you now have stupid half-doors and can now hear them.

I could go on, but its just pointless now......;)
:shock:

Guys Moby looks sweet painting them will look even better! I am going to make metal or plastic skins for my Rancho tube doors. :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

d90king

On your rig those look great just the way they are! I have a JKUR in Bright white and I think I'm going to grab these after seeing your pic. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Top Bottom