Help!

J06Pwrangler

Yup. Just take a socket, and a long ratchet and rotate until you hit TDC. There should be a mark on your flywheel to align it, and a little tab on the engine block.

Otherwise you can find the compression stroke on #1.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I dont understand why it wont go back in with what i marked in this picture before taking it out View attachment 290574

Sent from my LG-H345 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sometimes you have to slightly rotate the rotor/shaft for the teeth to catch. Slightly do that and see if it drops in. It will move your rotor a little. After its installed, look at the marks. If it's way off, pull it back out and then rotate the shaft the other way instead. Basically once the teeth mesh in the right location, all of your marks should line up, if you didn't turn the engine while it was removed.

WJCO

Meme King
Yea. I didnt turn move the jeep at all when i removed the distributer. The shaft drops in well, just not where it was before

Did you also mark the hold down bolt on the block and distributor? And I assume it's a slot where the bolt goes? Did you make sure that is all the same?

WJCO

Meme King
I just looked at your pics. Turn the rotor slightly counterclockwise of your mark, then put the distributor back in again. The rotor should jump on its own closer to your mark.

dwoodnj

Okay, so it did turn on its own but clockwise and and the rotor is still facing the block. So i should probably turn the crankshaft a little bit at a time till it aligns with the marks?

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, so it did turn on its own but clockwise and and the rotor is still facing the block. So i should probably turn the crankshaft a little bit at a time till it aligns with the marks?

Exactly. The teeth are likely a helical gear. So everytime they mesh inside, the shaft will turn. So just set it so that the rotor turns itself into the right spot.

WJCO

Meme King
Okay. Keeping the distributer in right? Also does if i turn the crankshaft the the opposite direction to get the marks lined up? If that made any sense

No. Turn the rotor with the distributor out. Then when you drop it in, as the teeth mesh, the rotor will move into place. Keep repeating that until it's right.

If you've moved the crankshaft at all, forget the marks. You'll have to start from scratch and turn the engine until your #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke and then set the distributor so the rotor is pointing at full #1 on the distributor cap.

WJCO

Meme King
You shouldn't have to turn anything if you're going off of your marks. Check this video out, first one that popped up on YouTube. Start at 2:40.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Pull distributor out, rotate slightly past the position you want it (probably about 1/8 turn. Then put distributor back in. When the gear meshes it should turn the rotor as you push in. Do this till you find your mark. Then use a timing light to fine tune.

Do not turn engine to get to line up!! If you move the engine at all you will have to do everything the right way by finding TDC on compression stroke and reset distributor from there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dwoodnj

Ive tried all that. Distributer sits flush and all but the mark on the housing (red) is still in a different place than the rotor. And the rotor marking should be in line with the distributer housing marking right?
And if i pull the distributer back out and mesh the gears to line up perfectly with the marks. It still wont go in all the way because of the oil pump. So should i turn the oil pump then?

Top Bottom