Help!

dwoodnj

One more thing, the jeep has resting in 1st gear since i removed the distributer. Would puttin it in neutral and setting the E brake help with any of this?

Sent from my LG-H345 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Post a picture of the bottom of the distributor shaft so we can see what you're talking about. Is it possible that the oil pump moved a little when you pulled it? If the oil pump turns easily, I would think you could turn it, however if it doesn't want to move, just leave it.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
You won't do any damage turning the oil pump if that's what you need to do. Having the car in gear, or park brake set will have no affect on it. As long as the engine hasn't been turned, or starter cranked you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FallonJeeper

Some times it does take minor adjustment of the oil pump with a long flat screwdriver. I'd say move it counter clockwise and line the rotor a little left of where you want it to line up when it's fully installed as the rotor will rotate a little as it seats.

dwoodnj

Hey Everybody thank you so much for the help! I got my problem fixed by turning the oil pump to the left and then installed the distributer and she is now up and running again. Thanks again!

dwoodnj

After Replacing my Cam sensor inside the distributer, and after driving the jeep for about 7 minuites. The thing sputters especially when hitting the accelerator. Any suggestions on what i should replace or fix first really helps!

dwoodnj

Could it be the Ignition coil? Or Distributer cap, rotor, and wires?
Or could it even be that I need to set my Motor to TDC and reposition the distributer?

WJCO

Meme King
Any engine light or codes? After installing the distributor, did you reset the timing? Any chance this is a fuel system problem and not an ignition system problem?

dwoodnj

About a week ago, I got check engine code "54" and it wasnt starting. So i changed the destroyed cam sensor inside the distributer, and it got running again. How do you reset the timing? I didnt know there was a way to reset the timing. Im pretty sure its an ignition system problem but if all fails, it could be fuel system but i doubt that cuz i have new hoses and fuel filter

WJCO

Meme King
Been awhile since I've messed with OBD1, but Google shows that as a fuel code.

As far as timing, you'll need a timing light. You can rent one, but I would bet buying one isn't more than 30 bucks. Hook the timing light clamp around the #1 plug wire, start the engine and shine the light at your crankshaft. It will strobe and show you where your ignition timing is. There should be a sticker on the underside of the hood that tells you where your timing should be. If it's not there pick up a service manual for instructions. A lot of vehicles require your advance to be disconnected while you set base timing. Being that the distributor was messed with, you really should reset the timing. YouTube should have a video on this as well.

dwoodnj

Code 54 says no Sync pickup signal during engine rotation and i was pretty sure that was referring to the Camshaft position sensor?
What did you mean exactly by reset the timing? Is that an electronic adjustment?

Top Bottom