Help!

RCVRY

Is there a way to check ignition timing on A 94 4.0 YJ?

Maybe, but it’s easier to check for DTC’s. Do a search for OBD1 Jeep Data Trouble Codes. It’s a series of flashes of the CEL that tell you if you’re throwing codes. Not all DTC’s cause a CEL. If your timing’s off, the computer already knows.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

dwoodnj

Just checked the timing but, just to be sure of something, the groove in the pulley is supposed to be cylinder #1?
And that groove in the pulley is supposed to be inline with the "0" mark every time the timing light goes on right?

Sent from my LG-H345 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dwoodnj

Just checked the timing after inatalling my distributer, i do get sputter after driving for a bit but just to be sure of something, the groove in the pulley is supposed to be cylinder #1?
And that groove in the pulley is supposed to be inline with the "0" mark every time the timing light goes on right?

WJCO

Meme King
Either a service manual or the sticker under the hood will tell you where your timing should be. It is rarely on the 0.

FallonJeeper

It wouldn't be "0". It would be around 12, but it's not adjustable on a 4.0, from what I read.

I've never worked on the 4.0 distributor. I know you pulled it and put it back in. If the rotor and distributor line up the same way they were when you pulled it and.... you didn't turn the engine then you should be ok.

Otherwise get a Chilton manual or a shop manual for your Jeep and read up on how to remove and replace the distributor.

If you can't or are unwilling to do that, you may need to find a technician.

Last edited:

dwoodnj

Timing Specs!

1994 jeep wrangler yj 4.0
Does anybody know what the ignition timing specs are on the jeep 4.0?
Im just wondering what number im supposed to be on closest to "0" when im checking the timing with the light tool.

kbsvo2go

I found this post from another site. I think you've been told this before but it appears there is NO timing adjustment on the 4.0 engine. You can rotate the distributor all you want and you won't see the timing marks on the balancer change.

I have a 92 jeep I put a long block in, after farting with it for 8 hours I did some heavy research. You need an old dist cap with the side of ti cut away around # 1 wire lead. find TDC for #1 cylinder by pulling the spark plug and ratating the engine till the cylinder produces pressure,set the timing mark on zero. Now with the rotor on and the dist. cap on you need to put the distributor in so the rotor is just comming up to the #1 tit on the cap. about .005" gap between the rotor and the tit on the cap. After I found out how I got it on the first try.40,000 miles later its still running great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
1994 Jeep wrangler yj 4.0

1993 jeep wrangler yj 4.0

1994 jeep wrangler yj

Does anybody know what the ignition timing specs are on the jeep 4.0?
Im just wondering what number im supposed to be on closest to "0" when im checking the timing with the light tool.

Jesus Christ man. With all the information you have here I would imagine you would have redone the timing completely. BTW is it a 93 or a 94? Not trying to be a dick but a sixth of your posts are just repeating the Jeep you have over and over. 😂

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
12deg before top dead center sounds acceptable. With the ECM controlling timing it will change based on temp, and engine speed. An engine will run like shit, or not run at all if it fires at 0deg.
Now you know that you aren't 180 off though so you have made some progress. I would line that mark up manually on 0, pull your dist cap and verify everything you have done prior. I have a feeling that you are still a tooth or 2 off and you may have reached the ECM limits for adjustment, so it cant reach the deg necessary to run right at higher rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom