Help!

WJCO

Meme King
Code 54 says no Sync pickup signal during engine rotation and i was pretty sure that was referring to the Camshaft position sensor?
What did you mean exactly by reset the timing? Is that an electronic adjustment?

Sent from my LG-H345 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The bolt that holds down your distributor likely went through a slotted hole. When you reset your timing, you have to loosen that bolt and turn the distributor until the ignition timing is set right. Then retighten that bolt. This can only be done with a timing light.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Definitely a timing issue. If you don't have access to a timing light get a shop to do it. Don't drive around like that. You can cause serious damage by running an engine that isn't timed properly. Marking the distributor before you pull it only gives you a reference to get close. A very slight amount of rotation of the distributor can have huge impacts on how the engine runs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Never mind, i got it. Is it gonna break anything if all i do is turn the distributer housing back and forth while the engine is running?

Do not try to get it timed by ear. Base timing needs to be set with vacuum advance disconnected. With it connected it runs completely different and the timing advances considerably through the RPM band.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Did your distributor hold down have a slot that locks it in place? Or if you loosen the bolt are you able to turn the distributor by hand? I just found info specifically on TJs but don't know when that change took effect. The Cam sensor in those is only affecting injection pulse timing. You might need to get ahold of a factory service manual, or at the least a Haynes or Chilton manual.

dwoodnj

I do have a haynes manual. I think i need to turn the distributer housing a little bit while the engine is running. So i can meet the timing specs. Im very sure my timing isnt that much off.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I’m pretty sure the distributor can’t be moved to adjust timing on a fuel injected 4.0. My 4.0 in my 88 XJ had a bolt that bolted the housing to the engine block. I also looked at my Haynes manual to verify and for “ignition timing Check” it says carbureted only. Maybe check the Crank Position Sensor on the bell housing. I even had the Throttle position sensor out of adjustment and the engine ran poorly.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Yours probably doesn’t have the Crank Position Sensor. Looking through the manual is should just be the cam position sensor like you said.

I would verify you are on TDC with number 1 cylinder and install your distributor and verify the rotor is pointing at #1. Ensure the oil pump slot is at the 11 o’clock position prior to putting in the distributor. Verify your CPS is installed correctly. IMG_5091.jpg

dwoodnj

"I do" have a crankshaft position sensor. It is on the bellhousing. Maybe i should test the crankshaft position sensor and also check the ignition timing with a timing light before i take anything apart

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Does the bolt on the hold down go between these fingers? It looks like that locks the distributor from turning. I would start from scratch, verify the Cam sensor is installed properly, and verify firing order.

Top Bottom