I Tried The Jeep Thing And I Just Don't Get It

KingCopperhead

"slamming my head into the pillar over and over again like some crazed punching clown."

This was a great little quote! To bad the clown wassnt really there to punch him in the throat!

Anyone watch the Top Gear USA episode where they ran a AEV Brute, tore thru the trails and looked fun also!

Yeah that was one of my favorites too. I'm an inch shorter than him and I've never come close to bashing my head on the pillar. What is he trying to do? Bomb through big rocks at 20 mph in 4 hi?

jljohnson464

I was in Windrock Park in TN when we had to help recover a "built" Rover from an intermediate level trail. We had a stock JKUR which got through no problem. The best part was the Rover had a decal that said "the best 4x4 by far".

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yeah that was one of my favorites too. I'm an inch shorter than him and I've never come close to bashing my head on the pillar. What is he trying to do? Bomb through big rocks at 20 mph in 4 hi?

Yup. He made it sound like he tried desert blasting over rocks, and was surprised that he got bounced around. I guess he can do that in his LR3. :crazyeyes:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I was in Windrock Park in TN when we had to help recover a "built" Rover from an intermediate level trail. We had a stock JKUR which got through no problem. The best part was the Rover had a decal that said "the best 4x4 by far".

In his defense, that's a quote from Jeremy Clarkson from the Bolivia episode.

Recurve

I can't do nothing but shake my head at guys like this... I've met these type b4 . They talk about how capable their rigs are an can go anywhere mine can, but then turn around an say they don't like breaking on rocks an busting parts.
I don't like when parts break either but it's part of the experiance an fun! If your afraid to break your rig or don't care for rough trails then what's the point of exploring or overlanding? IMO just like wayalife , your limiting your options of remote areas if you don't take the rough trails. Lol why do you think those places are so remote to begin with?

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I can't do nothing but shake my head at guys like this... I've met these type b4 . They talk about how capable their rigs are an can go anywhere mine can, but then turn around an say they don't like breaking on rocks an busting parts.
I don't like when parts break either but it's part of the experiance an fun! If your afraid to break your rig or don't care for rough trails then what's the point of exploring or overlanding? IMO just like wayalife , your limiting your options of remote areas if you don't take the rough trails. Lol why do you think those places are so remote to begin with?

X2. Many decades ago we met a Texan in an Electra 225 off Cinnamon Pass between Silverton and Lake City. Kudos for getting that far. It had the obligatory and for real horns on the hood. We were at the bottom of the trail to the great old ghost town of Carson. He asked how rough the trail was. I told him around the next bend there were console TV sized boulders and it wasn't a good idea. He gave me the "I can take this Electric Deuce and a Quarter anywhere you can take that Jeep" lecture. In those days there were wrecker services specializing in recovery in the area. The cost to recover that 225 would be more than it was worth. Anyway, no clue how it worked out but it couldn't have been good if he made a serious effort.
Side note: I'm told the old road is now practically a freeway due to recently rekindled mining activities. Sigh!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy::cheesy: I noticed in the photos, the white rover I had mentioned previously. haha I knew it was this guy. I'll get you guys a photo when I see it next time at his usual spot(Starbucks)

Can you spot the self-proclaimed overlander?
IMG_5905-640x426.jpg

You just can't make this stuff up!! :cheesy:

I know this guy is trying to be funny by bringing on the sarcasm but the photo below is close to where I used to live in socal and moved away from due to the fact that there are fewer places on this planet that are more pretentious, crowded and further away from any sense of remoteness.

We were well on our way to committing the second unspeakable act… staying at a paid campground! Caution: viewer discretion is advised. Paid campsites are known to be low class, unadventurous, ugly, and ruin your reputation as an overlander.
DSC05484-640x426.jpg

firecrew1

Can you spot the self-proclaimed overlander?
IMG_5905-640x426.jpg

You just can't make this stuff up!! :cheesy:

I know this guy is trying to be funny by bringing on the sarcasm but the photo below is close to where I used to live in socal and moved away from due to the fact that there are fewer places on this planet that are more pretentious, crowded and further away from any sense of remoteness.

:cheesy::cheesy:
Funny thing is I too used to live in socal and that is one of the many reasons I left.

JamesWyatt

I'm sure that between the AEV suspension, the dynamics of an extended JK with a truck bed, and almost surely sway bars that were not disconnected made for a miserable ride. Even a stock JK without the sway bars disconnected will beat you to death on a mildly rocky road. But with them disconnected, it feels like the Jeep floats over obstacles, if, of course, you're not driving too fast.

As for some of his other sentiments, they may be shared by some of us, but it doesn't help when delivered with douchebagness. I don't mind driving through an off-road park to improve my driving skills or challenge myself, but I'd sure rather be 1000 miles from here off roading a destination VS a closed course.

Regarding "overlanding", to me it's something that doesn't even require a JK. You can overland in a Prius. As for rock crawler VS expedition rigs it just boils down to the appearance of the vehicles and aesthetics. I find the look of a JK with a Gobi rack more appealing than the buggy look. Not sure why. I guess because when I look at both types of vehicles, one makes me "think" of a grand adventure and the other makes me think of cash flying out of my pocket whilst I roll and roll down the side of a cliff. If I ever did grow a pair and build up my JK, I'd probably follow the buggy-looking builds but just use full width bumpers, raised flares but not cut flares, and <37" tires. But I've modded a Discovery before then never even used that to its limit, so for now I'm happy with my stock Rubicon that I enjoy taking over small rocks and "overlanding" 😄 And an overlander may or may not be able to rock crawl, but a rock crawler only need add an ARB fridge to be an overlander. 😝

The thing that really bothered me the most about that guy's post was his narrow definition of Jeeping. Jeeping may be rock crawling, but Jeeping is also taking off the doors and cruising down the beach. Jeeping is not any one thing, it is a way of life, and that is something not everyone will get.

LeighP

Read this guy's articles and the overwhelming impression I got was of how happy he was with his narrow viewpoint......I felt I had to wipe the smug off the page to finish the read.

Its kind of funny, here in Australia we simply don't use these descriptions......people who use their 4WDs (and there are LOTS who never see a dirt road) modify their vehicles as they see fit, then do anything they want. Rock crawling, per se, isn't a huge thing here, but we like our fire trails for sure.
Touring is a big thing with offroaders here.....and when we go outback, it can be weeks of hard, rutted and corregated dirt roads, flooded river crossings and miles of red clay mud that goes on forever......and you can be many days drive from help, let alone trying to walk out, so we carry what we need including lots of spare fuel and multiple spare tyres.....thats just how it is here.
But the same guy, with all that heavy stuff removed, is still likely to be out on a Sunday, climbing around the hills through the bush on some tight, rough little fire trail.

That author needs to relax, and acknowledge that it doesn't matter what people like, everyone likes being "out there, someplace", and thats good enough.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Read this guy's articles and the overwhelming impression I got was of how happy he was with his narrow viewpoint......I felt I had to wipe the smug off the page to finish the read.

LOL!! Honestly, I couldn't agree with you more and really, that's what bugs me the most about guys like this. Fact of the matter is, I LOVE ALL OFF-ROAD VEHICLES and enjoy seeing all makes and models out on the trail doing whatever the owners of them enjoy doing and regardless if they are built up or bone stock. Labels like "rock crawler" or "overlander" are just that to me - LABELS and are typically ones that insecure guys use to identify themselves. I genuinely can't stand self-proclaimed "overlander" types just as much as self-proclaimed "badass" rock crawlers because both always wear their labels on their shirt sleeves (or floppy hat) and make it a point try to convince you how they are somehow superior.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
LOL!! Honestly, I couldn't agree with you more and really, that's what bugs me the most about guys like this. Fact of the matter is, I LOVE ALL OFF-ROAD VEHICLES and enjoy seeing all makes and models out on the trail doing whatever the owners of them enjoy doing and regardless if they are built up or bone stock. Labels like "rock crawler" or "overlander" are just that to me - LABELS and are typically ones that insecure guys use to identify themselves. I genuinely can't stand self-proclaimed "overlander" types just as much as self-proclaimed "badass" rock crawlers because both always wear their labels on their shirt sleeves (or floppy hat) and make it a point try to convince you how they are somehow superior.

I agree. I don't get why they can't just classify themselves as off-roaders. It's as if they may impress me if they call themselves "overlanders" or "rock crawlers".

Top Bottom