I Tried The Jeep Thing And I Just Don't Get It

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I don't get why they can't just classify themselves as off-roaders. It's as if they may impress me if they call themselves "overlanders" or "rock crawlers".

You mean to say that you're not impressed? :idontknow: :crazyeyes: :cheesy:

Of course, they could just STFU about what they like to call themselves and just say "hello, how's it going?" I kid you not, I almost always have one of these guys purposefully coming up to me wherever I am and just to talk themselves and their rigs up as if I had asked or even care.

groovebus

I never understood why there is a distinction between overland and rock crawling. If it is a good trail there will be a little bit of both and your Jeep should be able to handle both.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I never understood why there is a distinction between overland and rock crawling. If it is a good trail there will be a little bit of both and your Jeep should be able to handle both.

That's because there's nothing to understand. :crazyeyes:

JKWrang

If im reading this all correctly... Overlanders are the Crossfitters of the Off Road world :cheesy:

finrodfelagund

"smashing your truck and your body over rock after rock with no real destination or purpose", haha, is what I dream about in long meetings or sitting in church!!!

Speeddmn

When I hear "overlanding" i see a couple friends loaded up with whatever it takes to get them from point A to B useing as many trails, dirt roads etc as possiable. Is it meant for all vehicles? No. Can a fairly equiped Jeep do it? Yes. Can a LR3 with all terrian tires and some recovery gear do it? Yes, but it wouldnt be able to go everywhere. Can Eddie's Jeep go to every square inch of N. America? Doubtful, but I think he has a good shot and would be willing.

I agree that the people who claim they are "overlanders" only and wear the floppy hat, sandles (with socks!) cargo shorts, and some sort of button up thin shirt are very snob-like! So what would it take to convert them into just being an adverturious off roaders like most of us? I like rocks, I also enjoy the easy routes of gravel roads to a certain destiation. I enjoy snow, fire roads, simple two-tracks thru fields, and even mud...till clean up!

Redmow

Heh! People will wear what is comfortable to them.

I tend to wear camo clothing from my US Army days or my sons Marine camo. I get weird looks sometimes but I don't care...my wife thinks it's sexy so that is all that matters to me. :brows:

Top Bottom