Jeep introduces Gorilla glass

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
The design is how all the materials are used in unison so glass is the material and the design flaw is the angle of the glass. A recent video by The Fast Lane Car YouTube channel interviewed the Jeep JL’s Chief Engineer and at the 1:45min mark he’s asked about using Gorilla glass. He goes on saying it’s not necessary, the Jeep windshield has been stress tested but then he acknowledges the vertical design of the windshield as being prone to cracks and it’s a “Jeep” look. This interview was less than a month ago and now we get these Gorilla glass emails from Mopar...that’s odd:thinking:

You can actually make it through a full episode of Fast Lane? Those videos blow...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MDK210

Yea if they add more angle, then it really wouldn't be a Wrangler anymore. That's the design of a Wrangler since what ? 1941 It's not HIS design it's the design of a Jeep Wrangler just modern.:beer:

Exactly so instead of changing the design you protect the integrity of it using things like Gorilla glass. My problem lies with them charging for it as it’s a safety feature and by introducing this product Mopar is acknowledging the perceived issue. Install it on all JK’s was a wishful joke but those who are buying/bought JL’s, like my old man, should get a free upgrade.

Last edited:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
A 2 years limited warranty doesn't really sound like a whole lot of confidence in the product. Wonder what the limit is?

pop2tu

Do you have to file a claim for any work done to your windshield? I assume you do and insurance companies take ALL claims into account when reassessing your coverage at the time of policy renewal. Parking lot windshield repair folks have signs claiming it’s free but it’s not, it’s an insurance claim and they add up. My insurance company, USAA, offers the same coverage but when I asked them straight up they said it’s still taken into account. Maybe you got lucky and your rates haven’t changed but nothing is truly free with insurance companies and since I replace mine at least once a year I have a basic $250 windshield installed everytime. All glass has to meet a certain safety rating so whatever.

I also have USAA, that is why my windshield has been cracked for a year! Don’t want to file a claim against my policy. Just because I have it, doesn’t mean I use it. I have had 2 chip repairs and 2 replacements in 20 years.
And it is $0 out of pocket for replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
My problem lies with them charging for this product Mopar is acknowledging the perceived issue.
Wait, hold on a second. You mean to tell me dealerships are offering additional products to make money. What’s the world coming to?!?!

Are you also going to complain that they offer ceramic paint protection? They must have knowledge of the inferior paint being used right? YouTube videos comparing the hardness of clear coat to a grade 8 bolt and all its other design flaws said so.

Install it on all JK’s was a wishful joke but those who are buying/bought JL’s, like my old man, should get a free upgrade.

Oh I get it. One of those guys. The slightest mention of an upgrade and you feel that you should have received it for free. You go ahead and keep wanting for nothing.

Regards,
HT

boardsurfer

Exactly so instead of changing the design you protect the integrity of it using things like Gorilla glass. My problem lies with them charging for it as it’s a safety feature and by introducing this product Mopar is acknowledging the perceived issue. Install it on all JK’s was a wishful joke but those who are buying/bought JL’s, like my old man, should get a free upgrade.
Wow dude. Get over yourself.

J

JKDream

I think you’re missing the point. It’s obviously a problem and acknowledged by their own engineer so why not improve it? They added more slant to the JL windshield but I believe that was for improved aerodynamics. Just stating facts.
It baffles me that you don’t even believe the guy who designed the damn vehicle.

I think you're missing the point my dude. I don't think this is as big of a problem as you think it is.
You're acting as if every wrangler on the road has a smashed windshield, and is going to crash and burn as a result.
I just rolled over 100,000, I still have my factory windshield. I could care less if Mopar offered me a "free upgrade" because mine hasn't been a problem in the five years that I've owned it.
I haven't cracked mine, because I don't tailgate the shit out of people.

Mopar is offering this to people as an option because believe it or not, not everybody has issues with their windshield.

Those that have gone through several windshields such as yourself I'm assuming probably need to adjust their driving habits instead of Mopar handing out free shit.

trailraider

This windshield has been available for a while, at $500.00, not really worth it in my opinion. similar technology the IPhone uses on their phone I'm sure, and we all know someone who is using one with a shattered screen.

SilverBack775

I think you’re missing the point. It’s obviously a problem and acknowledged by their own engineer so why not improve it? They added more slant to the JL windshield but I believe that was for improved aerodynamics. Just stating facts.
It baffles me that you don’t even believe the guy who designed the damn vehicle.

I watched that video and the guy was arrogant first off! He completely fed us a bunch of bullshit instead of admitting the truth that the JL has some issues. Watch Lite Brite videos and they have a fair argument. Stock skids lack, bumpers suck, license plate placement is still garbage, and the fan is so loud it’s just silly! I’m not expert on this gorilla glass or know much about glass. It would be nice to have some sort of stronger glass setup! I’ve had 2 broken windshields on my Jk already. [emoji106]

MDK210

There's some really annoyed people on here about me calling the Jeep windshield a design flaw yikes

There's some really annoyed people on here about me calling the Jeep windshield a design flaw yikes

Nah.
Just guys calling you out for lack of substance to back that up. Simply calling it a design flaw and citing a lame YouTube channel won’t cut it.

Top Bottom