Jeep introduces Gorilla glass

MDK210

Wait, hold on a second. You mean to tell me dealerships are offering additional products to make money. What’s the world coming to?!?!

Are you also going to complain that they offer ceramic paint protection? They must have knowledge of the inferior paint being used right? YouTube videos comparing the hardness of clear coat to a grade 8 bolt and all its other design flaws said so.

Oh I get it. One of those guys. The slightest mention of an upgrade and you feel that you should have received it for free. You go ahead and keep wanting for nothing.

Regards,
HT

We're talking about a safety feature not ceramic paint protection, I would expect the same if it were brakes or anything else related that was improved after production. And I bet you're one of those guys that probably accepts the, "It's a Jeep thing", and spouts that to others when they have problems. Why were there so many upgrades to the JL if there weren't lessons learned from the JK and it's consumers providing feedback? The only way help Jeep/FIAT improve is to let your voice be heard just like the LiteBrite girl and looked what happend, Gorilla glass! Maybe you think that's too much for a consumer to ask on a $55K Rubicon when Mopar immediately comes out with a better windshield? You wouldn't feel a little ripped off if that was you? As far as the "upgrade", that's my exact point, it shouldn't be an upgrade it should be the new standard and LiteBrite did the right thing now the consumers need to force the push for future gen Jeeps. People that push big companies to force even the smallest change brought you the new JL and it will bring the industry Gorilla glass as a standard in the future just like cell phones.

MDK210

Nah.
Just guys calling you out for lack of substance to back that up. Simply calling it a design flaw and citing a lame YouTube channel won’t cut it.

Lack of substace? The "lame" video has the CHIEF ENGINEER talking about this very issue. If that's not enough, a 2014 Safelite study (most recent I could find) shows the Wrangler as having the 10th most replaced windshield with 2 of the others being cars and 7 of those being trucks with larger windshields. The Jeep appears to have the smallest windshield of those 10 and should be less of a target given the surface area but because of it's design it's more prone to damage. I'm stating facts and you're doing what exactly? Not trusting a Jeep engineer or nationwide statistics? The difference here is these aren't my opinions and are backed up by reliable sources, everything you say is yours and not reliable.

longarmwj

Lack of substace? The "lame" video has the CHIEF ENGINEER talking about this very issue. If that's not enough, a 2014 Safelite study (most recent I could find) shows the Wrangler as having the 10th most replaced windshield with 2 of the others being cars and 7 of those being trucks with larger windshields. The Jeep appears to have the smallest windshield of those 10 and should be less of a target given the surface area but because of it's design it's more prone to damage. I'm stating facts and you're doing what exactly? Not trusting a Jeep engineer or nationwide statistics? The difference here is these aren't my opinions and are backed up by reliable sources, everything you say is yours and not reliable.

Do you work for Gorilla Glass or something? You seem to have a huge hardon for this product

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What other vehicle manufacturer uses gorilla glass? If it was standard across the entire auto industry I’d say you have a solid argument. But it’s not so.....

If you have been here for longer than 10 minutes you’d know I’m the furthest from the type of guy that accepts real problems as “it’s a Jeep thing”. Your whole windshield drama is a non issue. I have 6 vehicles. And I’ll be damned if every single one of them has a rock chip. Getting a chipped or cracked windshield isn’t a Jeep specific problem.

longarmwj

What other vehicle manufacturer uses gorilla glass? If it was standard across the entire auto industry I’d say you have a solid argument. But it’s not so.....

If you have been here for longer than 10 minutes you’d know I’m the furthest from the type of guy that accepts real problems as “it’s a Jeep thing”. Your whole windshield drama is a non issue. I have 6 vehicles. And I’ll be damned if every single one of them has a rock chip. Getting a chipped or cracked windshield isn’t a Jeep specific problem.
According to google the only two cars who use it from the factory are the Ford GT and the BMW i8

Lack of substace? The "lame" video has the CHIEF ENGINEER talking about this very issue.

Yea, lack of substance. And I entertained you by watching the video. It sucked and provided no substance either. The engineer rolled his eyes and said how it’s a non issue. lol

He also said a blirb on how the angle of a wranglers windshield lends itself to take a harder hit. Is that what you wanted us to see?
Please tell me I’m missing something. I didn’t need to read all your drama and watch that video to realize what I can plainly see with my own eyes.

According to google the only two cars who use it from the factory are the Ford GT and the BMW i8

That’s all I’m trying to point out to this dude. It’s not standard across the board. Why would manufactures eat the extra cost? If we want the upgrade we have to pay. I’m not seeing his argument.

The Ford starts at $450,000 and the Bimmer starts at $145,000.....

MDK210

I’m saying you have to push the industry to make something standard if you want to enforce change. I read all your drama the least you could do is read mine ha. I called it a design flaw and people got all emotional about that so I gave supporting data/conversation to back it up and people still thought my idea of making a better version of a federally mandated item such as a windshield crazy like I’m trying to scam Mopar.

If Mopar is offering it at $500 or whatever it’s not expensive. You’re worth $500 guys don’t let Mopar tell you any different :)

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
We’ll see KIA or Subaru make it standard and then everyone else will fall into line. Except GM. They’ll always be screwed up. [emoji23]

jesse3638

Hooked
It's a windshield, made of glass. We all know the angle of the Wrangler's windshield makes it more prone to chips and cracks. I'm my 20 years on the road I've been fortunate enough to only suffer one chip on my old truck. You make it seem like a single piece of pea gravel is going to cause the JK/JL's windshield to explode into plate glass like shards and kill them instantly. Want it the industry standard cool, be ready for all vehicle price tags to increase accordingly. All windshields are glass and glass cracks. Doesn't matter if it's gorilla, giraffe, or mouse glass. It can still break.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailraider

That’s all I’m trying to point out to this dude. It’s not standard across the board. Why would manufactures eat the extra cost? If we want the upgrade we have to pay. I’m not seeing his argument.

The Ford starts at $450,000 and the Bimmer starts at $145,000.....

heck, if Jeep had a gorilla glass windshield wouldn't it then be considered a "super Jeep" and could fetch the same on price as the "supercars"? less the horse power and handling of course. (another design flaw).

Brute

Hooked
Where do I get my Gorilla Underwear...might need protection for ill timed boners while looking at rad jeeps driven by rad women...

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Exactly so instead of changing the design you protect the integrity of it using things like Gorilla glass. My problem lies with them charging for it as it’s a safety feature and by introducing this product Mopar is acknowledging the perceived issue. Install it on all JK’s was a wishful joke but those who are buying/bought JL’s, like my old man, should get a free upgrade.
"free upgrade". Nothing in life is free, if the windshield Mopar is selling had been standard the Jeep would have just cost that much more. That's reality.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
the windshield sounds good in concept but given that it must be installed and repaired by a dealer, that alone makes it a no go for myself.

Warranty portion for the windshield:

MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY

Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions.

Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty.

Dealer requires proof of purchase and windshield will only be repaired or replaced under the warranty once within the warrantable period.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED:

Damage caused by any other force such as an accident, large debris, fraud, falling objects or other acts of God are not warrantable.

The damage from road debris referred to in this section is warrantable notwithstanding other provisions in the Mopar warranty.

Additional exclusions may apply.

The entire warranty...

jesse3638

Hooked
the windshield sounds good in concept but given that it must be installed and repaired by a dealer, that alone makes it a no go for myself.

Warranty portion for the windshield:

MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY

Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions.

Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty.

Dealer requires proof of purchase and windshield will only be repaired or replaced under the warranty once within the warrantable period.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED:

Damage caused by any other force such as an accident, large debris, fraud, falling objects or other acts of God are not warrantable.

The damage from road debris referred to in this section is warrantable notwithstanding other provisions in the Mopar warranty.

Additional exclusions may apply.

The entire warranty...

Sounds to me like an expensive windshield that carries a warranty which will never be honored. I love the "..or other acts of God are not warrantable" part.

So if its cracked by a small pebble your good as long as it doesn't Spider out more than 3". If it does then you're SOL. Sounds like good insurance for the dealership to not have to replace it.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds to me like an expensive windshield that carries a warranty which will never be honored. I love the "..or other acts of God are not warrantable" part.

So if its cracked by a small pebble your good as long as it doesn't Spider out more than 3". If it does then you're SOL. Sounds like good insurance for the dealership to not have to replace it.

Also appears that cracks/chips less than 1 inch in size are not covered.

WJCO

Meme King
Good thread. I just sponsored a little kid in a third world country that just wants his Jeep windshield tweeked by about 10 degrees so he can get on with his life. Hope it works out for him.

Top Bottom