Jeep JK Wrangler Rear Axle Shaft Removal & Installation Write-Up

jesse3638

Hooked
As I have not gotten into axle replacement yet is the process for the front very similar? I'm assuming there may be additional steps. That's one downside of going on a peaceful mountain bike ride all by yourself. You start thinking yeah I think I'm gonna build towards 37's and new axles is one of the mods I should do, in addition to gussets, 1350 driveshafts, potentially hydro assist, regear (4:88 or 5:13?), cutting my fenders, bump stops, and the list goes on. Then while you're at it you start thinking about the JK experience and what it takes to be compliant for that. That's just a little snip-it into the mind of Jesse...haha. The same process was used when I convinced myself to deviate from my original plan of a 2" budget boost to a 3" long arm...;) Good thing I over paid uncle Sam pretty heavily and he's giving it back to me...haha. Thanks for the write up.

Edit: Or I could have just looked and found the front axle replacement write-up...haha. Too much thinking on my part I guess. People pay good money for this kind of entertainment...haha

Last edited:

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Nice! Great write up.. This will come in handy for when I do mine. Im new to Jeeps and not even close to having much mechanical skill. Im sure glad this forum is up and has the knowledge I need to learn. Thank you to everyone, this forum is F'n awesome!!!

Paratroopers stay up longer!

matt1171

Your write-ups are very helpful Eddie. I've learned so much from them. I'm curious why Saharas and Rubicons have different size axles since they both have D44s? Is it something with the lockers on the Rubis?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your write-ups are very helpful Eddie. I've learned so much from them. I'm curious why Saharas and Rubicons have different size axles since they both have D44s? Is it something with the lockers on the Rubis?

Yup, the locker makes it so you need different length shafts. Running a Sahara or Sport rear 44 is kinda nice in that you only have to carry one spare.

jkjeepit

I bent my left rear axle shaft so it's looking like I'll be ordering Superior Axles very soon and doing this repair, upgrade... etc.
thanks for the write up
:beer:

ewinterfeldt

Bearing race

Great write up, looks super simple! the one thing that wasn't covered in here was the reinstallation of the the bearing race, just tap it in with a hammer?
thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great write up, looks super simple! the one thing that wasn't covered in here was the reinstallation of the the bearing race, just tap it in with a hammer?
thanks!

Your new shafts should come with the bearings pressed on. The race will be attached to it.

ewinterfeldt

Forgot one thing

thanks!

What about the tone ring? Are they easy to swap over? It's still my daily driver and I don't want my dash lit up like a Christmas tree.
Thanks in advanced!

Karnaugh

Any thoughts on the Nitro Gear axle shafts?

Also, both Nitro and Ten Factory axle kits for Rubicons have both shafts the same length ... any ideas?

Tom

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Also, both Nitro and Ten Factory axle kits for Rubicons have both shafts the same length ... any ideas?

Tom

That should not be right. As far as thoughts go, I'd imagine they'd be fine.

StrizzyChris

Tom

The rear shafts of a non rubi are the same length but their rear Rubi shafts are different lengths. You do have to specify when you order though

ewinterfeldt

Finally have my axles!

I finally have my axles sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, going to get it done on Sunday.
I got everything pressed on at the shop and it's ready to go but I was wondering a couple of things.
Do I have to grease up the bearings before I install them? they have a little bit up lubrication on them but no grease, do I need to put some grease on them or is the diff fluid enough?
second question is about the seal, do I just let the bearing seal retainer plate push in the seal or do I need to tap it in before the seal retainer gets bolted on? there isn't a lot of room for a hammer or anything so if I need to seat the seal first, do you have any advice?

Thanks again, you all rock!!

rinkishjk

I finally have my axles sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, going to get it done on Sunday.
I got everything pressed on at the shop and it's ready to go but I was wondering a couple of things.
Do I have to grease up the bearings before I install them? they have a little bit up lubrication on them but no grease, do I need to put some grease on them or is the diff fluid enough?
second question is about the seal, do I just let the bearing seal retainer plate push in the seal or do I need to tap it in before the seal retainer gets bolted on? there isn't a lot of room for a hammer or anything so if I need to seat the seal first, do you have any advice?

Thanks again, you all rock!!

The retainer plate will pull the seal in, just make sure everything is clean. The gear oil lubricates those bearings so just check the Level after u install the shafts.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
is a slide hammer absolutly needed for this job? i have been thinking of upgrading from factory to Ten factory like you use in your write up

rinkishjk

is a slide hammer absolutly needed for this job? i have been thinking of upgrading from factory to Ten factory like you use in your write up

I'll tell u what, we had one hell of a time getting my stock shafts to pop out using a make shift slide hammer, long prybars and lots of muscle. A slide hammer would have made it so much easier. U will be happy u got one. Amazon has a good deal on them.

I would also suggest checking, and replacing your parking brake shoes when u do the shafts, as u have to remove the shafts to replace the shoes. I figured this out when I decided to "quickly" replace the shoes one day, which turned out not quick at all...

Attachments

• 1408555943001.jpg
    1408555943001.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Top Bottom