JK Optimal Lift Height ... ???

GCM 2

I'm planing on going with enforcer on 35's, and flat fenders. The question is 3in springs or 4in springs.

Personally, I like lower sitting vehicles. However, if I were you I would compare looking at photos of jeeps with the 3 and 4 inch springs to see which one you would like to see on your rig as you are walking out to see it everyday

rtguy1

It's pretty difficult to accurately compare 'lift heights' of our DTD set ups to conventional lifts or even EVO's bolt on coilovers. That's why it's always a guesstimate of numbers when I post a figure and I just give the roofline height. The DTD weld on towers allows so much more of a long shock to be stuffed into the wheel well, an infinite number of lift sizing is available.

I've been curious because I've been seeing so many lift height guestimates that seem very conservative. When I saw your post and realized that you are 7" taller than mine and have "3" of lift" I was kinda confused. The 7" difference between our overall heights minus 2" for the larger tire is 5" of actual additional suspension lift over my 2.5" of suspension lift for a guestimate total of 7.5" of suspension lift over stock plus additional height gained from tires larger than stock.

Spartan

Personally, I like lower sitting vehicles. However, if I were you I would compare looking at photos of jeeps with the 3 and 4 inch springs to see which one you would like to see on your rig as you are walking out to see it everyday

I agree keeping a LCG is a good idea. The only reason I was thinking about 4in springs was I thought that after bumpers and sliders it would be closer to 3-3.5in.

rtguy1

So to give this a better perspective I just talked to a buddy who has completely stock suspension on a 4door rubicon with 37's on ATX Slabs. His height at the a pillar is 71". So GCM, your rig is 10" taller including the additional height from the 40's vs my buddies 37's. this means you are dialed in to around 7"-8" of lift over stock. Curious what moby's a pillar measurement would be with 4.5" of lift.

GCM 2

So to give this a better perspective I just talked to a buddy who has completely stock suspension on a 4door rubicon with 37's on ATX Slabs. His height at the a pillar is 71". So GCM, your rig is 10" taller including the additional height from the 40's vs my buddies 37's. this means you are dialed in to around 7"-8" of lift over stock. Curious what moby's a pillar measurement would be with 4.5" of lift.

I think you are smoking crack ;) here is my jeep next to a stock rubicon on stock tires ....definitely not A 10" difference

image-40758271.jpg

image-859297095.jpg

My jeep on 40"s next to my buddy's with Teraflex 4" and 37" KM2's, practically same height. You need to calibrate that tape measure you are using!

image-3129642784.jpg

image-818521991.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I agree keeping a LCG is a good idea. The only reason I was thinking about 4in springs was I thought that after bumpers and sliders it would be closer to 3-3.5in.

I started with 3" plush ride coils and wound up going with the 4" plush rides. After a trip with loaded down cargo area (not to mention my LōD bumper with an ATX Slab wrapped in a 37 weighing down) I found that I needed the extra height. I'm guessing after installing my winch and some settling I will be closer to 3.5" of lift which is what I think is optimal.

rtguy1

Angles etc make it difficult to tell anything. I'm just going on my measurement and my buddies and comparing to yours. It's 7" taller than my rig and 10" taller than a stock suspension with 37's. my measurement s add up perfectly. As I said I am at 73.5"-74" and have 2.5" of lift. Those numbers calculate perfectly with the stock measurement on 37's at 71". There's just no way you have 3" of lift and sit 7" taller than my rig with 2.5" of lift. Unless you are really running 52's. ;) That would mean I'm lower than stock. My tape measure works too lol.

GCM 2

Angles etc make it difficult to tell anything. I'm just going on my measurement and my buddies and comparing to yours. It's 7" taller than my rig and 10" taller than a stock suspension with 37's. my measurement s add up perfectly. As I said I am at 73.5"-74" and have 2.5" of lift. Those numbers calculate perfectly with the stock measurement on 37's at 71". There's just no way you have 3" of lift and sit 7" taller than my rig with 2.5" of lift. Unless you are really running 52's. ;) That would mean I'm lower than stock. My tape measure works too lol.

Ha! Maybe I'll start a thread "can you run 52"s on a ProRock 60?" and get all the experts to chime in ;) I would at least gusset the knuckles :icon_crazy:

pvanweelden

For what it is worth, my jkur is at 71" at a pillar, stock 17 coils in front, 58 coils rear, and 315/70r17 on stock rims (top of tire mounted is 34.5)

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Are you sure bob-o measured correctly?

rtguy1

For what it is worth, my jkur is at 71" at a pillar, stock 17 coils in front, 58 coils rear, and 315/70r17 on stock rims (top of tire mounted is 34.5)

So GCM would have 3" more from tires alone which leaves 7" of lift over stock suspension.....not the guestimate of 3" lift on 40's. maybe your tape measure needs calibrated too. ;)

rtguy1

Are you sure bob-o measured correctly?

Too funny. Seems our measurements are correct and in line with the stock rig on 34's. seems these guestimates of 3" of lift are off by about 4 more inches. Like I said before I've been curious about this after seeing other rigs and posts. I noticed Eddie mentioned another kit being "sky high" at 5-6" of lift at ride height but it seems that's normal or below what most actually have.

Edit: just to be clear I don't see any issue with the ride height or setups like GCM has or the green jku I posted a pic of. Just not sure why the true lift height is so far off of what is claimed.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I think you are smoking crack ;) here is my jeep next to a stock rubicon on stock tires ....definitely not A 10" difference

My jeep on 40"s next to my buddy's with Teraflex 4" and 37" KM2's, practically same height. You need to calibrate that tape measure you are using!

Actually, one of the first things I noticed about Moby a few years back in Moab was just how low it sits. I've never measured either of your Jeeps, but there is no way in hell I would believe your Jeeps sit 10" higher than a stock JKU.

If you ask me, this is just a continuation of the age old problem of certain guys trying to get people to believe that 4" is really 10". ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. There is only ONE true way to how tall you are over stock and it's with this diagram that Dynatrac was kind enough to provide...

attachment.php

The above are actual measurements from a stock JK.

I just went out to the garage and took a measurement at the spring perch on Rubicat and came up with 13", just like I set it. That's only 3.625" (it was 3.5" back when we were still running a factory 44) over a stock 9.375". In other words, just a bit over 3-1/2" for those of you who can't convert decimals. I'd measure Moby but unfortunately, he's in Vegas right now and has a ProRock 60 so the measurement there probably won't be right. What I can tell you is that Moby only sits about 1" taller than Rubicat so that would put him at about 4.5" over stock, just like I set him. Park Moby next to JK running something like a TeraFlex 4" lift with 37's and I can almost guarantee you that he sits lower even riding on 40's.

rtguy1

Actually, one of the first things I noticed about Moby a few years back in Moab was just how low it sits. I've never measured either of your Jeeps, but there is no way in hell I would believe your Jeeps sit 10" higher than a stock JKU.

If you ask me, this is just a continuation of the age old problem of certain guys trying to get people to believe that 4" is really 10". ;)

I guess this will be easy to just right off, but the numbers don't lie. Pvanweeldan is at 71" on 34's and stock suspension. GCM is at 81" on 40's with coilovers. Do the math. Not trying to start anything as there's really no point to even argue towards. I know I'm at 2.5" of lift on 37's and sitting at 73.5"-74". :idontknow:

pvanweelden

What's the measure to the top of a pillar on rubicat? Curious, guessing 74-75?

rtguy1

Honestly, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. There is only ONE true way to how tall you are over stock and it's with this diagram that Dynatrac was kind enough to provide...

attachment.php

The above are actual measurements from a stock JK.

I just went out to the garage and took a measurement at the spring perch on Rubicat and came up with 13", just like I set it. That's only 3.625" (it was 3.5" back when we were still running a factory 44) over a stock 9.375". In other words, just a bit over 3-1/2" for those of you who can't convert decimals. I'd measure Moby but unfortunately, he's in Vegas right now and has a ProRock 60 so the measurement there probably won't be right. What I can tell you is that Moby only sits about 1" taller than Rubicat so that would put him at about 4.5" over stock, just like I set him. Park Moby next to JK running something like a TeraFlex 4" lift with 37's and I can almost guarantee you that he sits lower even riding on 40's.

I'm at 12.2" using that measurement. Curious what your overall height is at the a pillar like we were comparing here.

Edit. Beat me to it. Just shy of 75" I see. That pans out with my numbers as well. You came up with a bit over 3.5" of lift and are an inch taller than me at the a pillar. So how much lift does GCM have if he's at 81" at the pillar on 40's?

Moby should be around 78" at the pillar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom