JK Pulling

Flyer

Some just lengthen a CA (aftermarket, since stock CAs are fixed-length) to compensate against the pulling side. So if it pulls right after a lift and you have exhausted all other options, you lengthen the right CA (aftermarket adjustable CAs) a tiny bit and see how it reduces the right pull by skewing the axle. I don't particularly like this option but even my local Jeep shop has done it for some. Some also use offset balljoints to compensate for a pull. I met someone in Moab this weekend who did just that. I agree that the pull can be very tiring and totally empathize. If I were you, I would at least try a Bilstein steering stabilizer. They are not too expensive and are the brand most say push to the left. So it it possible or even probable that it will help by pushing to the driver's side. They run around $90. It really did fix my issue on the first JK, so I will try to put it on this weekend on this one.

Voodoo Actual

Some just lengthen a CA (aftermarket, since stock CAs are fixed-length) to compensate against the pulling side. So if it pulls right after a lift and you have exhausted all other options, you lengthen the right CA (aftermarket adjustable CAs) a tiny bit and see how it reduces the right pull by skewing the axle. I don't particularly like this option but even my local Jeep shop has done it for some. Some also use offset balljoints to compensate for a pull. I met someone in Moab this weekend who did just that. I agree that the pull can be very tiring and totally empathize. If I were you, I would at least try a Bilstein steering stabilizer. They are not too expensive and are the brand most say push to the left. So it it possible or even probable that it will help by pushing to the driver's side. They run around $90. It really did fix my issue on the first JK, so I will try to put it on this weekend on this one.

I don't see how lengthening a factory control arm on a new stock vehicle to correct a factory issue is in any way acceptable.

This Jeep, a 2014 JKUR, has been through two dealers and they don't have an answer other than, it seems to be in spec, and, I don't know why it's doing that. Additionally they agree that the amount of pull it has at any normal driving speed on public roads is dangerous and a liability. The suspension is all factory and it's done this since day way. There is a service record of it being in the shop at under 250 miles - I took it in because of this same pull.

Fighting against side swiping other vehicles or staying just trying to stay on the road is not just tiring but dangerous. You cannot maintain your lane.

I would like a new steering stabilizer but to enhance the vehicle.

Flyer

You can't lengthen a factory control arm. I am referring to aftermarket adjustable control arms. Nothing you can do with factory arms since they are fixed in length and not adjustable.

Voodoo Actual

You can't lengthen a factory control arm. I am referring to aftermarket adjustable control arms. Nothing you can do with factory arms since they are fixed in length and not adjustable.

No one suggested or indicated that the factory control arms have any adjustment.

Again, I don't see how it's acceptable in any way that a customer should have to spend money on an aftermarket control arm to get their new vehicle to drive straight. And still have no guarantee of if the new vehicle will drive straight, since, none of the techs seem to be able to diagnose the reason that a new vehicle is not driving straight.

If you purchased a new JKUR and it had a violent pull to say....the right, are you suggesting that you'd say, oh dude it's cool, I'll go spend money on aftermarket parts and hope that will fix it? So that when you take it back in for the original issue you can be told that the aftermarket part is what caused the issue?

I don't think you or anyone else would.

For all I know, the bracket that's welded to the frame where the control arm bolts to could be set back...or the other forward. This is something the manufacturer should address. Not the customer.

Flyer

You said above "I don't see how lengthening a factory control arm on a new stock vehicle to correct a factory issue is in any way acceptable." That is why I clarified and said I was referring to examples with aftermarket CAs and thought you were referring to lengthening the factory control arm. Is it acceptable- no. If the dealers cannot help, I'd be hammering on Chrysler. You could have a warped C. The guys on here have a lot more experience than I do and may have seen other reasons for a pull. I don't recall your caster #s.

One odd thing I did hear in Moab- a Jeeper said that the right side front factory CA is just slightly longer to begin with and this is to combat a slight natural pull to the right. No idea if true but he has been around a lot of Jeeps for a lot longer than me.

Last edited:

Napalm

I'm having a similar issue after installing wheel spacers yesterday, but not as strong. Whenever my hand is off the steering wheel, I notice a right pull pretty quickly. I'm not sure what could cause this is the only mod I did yesterday was the spacers.

Any ideas? (OP sorry if I am thread jacking, no intention too. Just wanted to start somewhere)

Pyro1415

Measuer the distance from tire to tire on each side and see if there is a difference I mean front ti back for both passenger and driver. That will check bracket alignment, that or measure the brackets from the frame but your frame might be warped too slightly.

Pyro1415

Never buy a steering stabilizer to fix an issue thats how stuff gets worse over time and death wobble or severe tire wear occur.

Voodoo Actual

You said above "I don't see how lengthening a factory control arm on a new stock vehicle to correct a factory issue is in any way acceptable." That is why I clarified and said I was referring to examples with aftermarket CAs and thought you were referring to lengthening the factory control arm. Is it acceptable- no. If the dealers cannot help, I'd be hammering on Chrysler. You could have a warped C. The guys on here have a lot more experience than I do and may have seen other reasons for a pull. I don't recall your caster #s.

One odd thing I did hear in Moab- a Jeeper said that the right side front factory CA is just slightly longer to begin with and this is to combat a slight natural pull to the right. No idea if true but he has been around a lot of Jeeps for a lot longer than me.

It's worth investigating - I'll see what I can find out about that.

I'm having a similar issue after installing wheel spacers yesterday, but not as strong. Whenever my hand is off the steering wheel, I notice a right pull pretty quickly. I'm not sure what could cause this is the only mod I did yesterday was the spacers.

Any ideas? (OP sorry if I am thread jacking, no intention too. Just wanted to start somewhere)

That's odd. You're not changing the dynamic of the vehicle. Wheels with different back spacing do the same thing and we don't hear about this issue then.

Measuer the distance from tire to tire on each side and see if there is a difference I mean front ti back for both passenger and driver. That will check bracket alignment, that or measure the brackets from the frame but your frame might be warped too slightly.

I'll measure and see what I get.

Seems odd that a vehicle would have a bum frame from the factory but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Edit:

The dealer: service advisor and techs, looked up the specs and said there is not any mention that the right control arm is longer than the left.

Last edited:

Napalm

It's worth investigating - I'll see what I can find out about that.

That's odd. You're not changing the dynamic of the vehicle. Wheels with different back spacing do the same thing and we don't hear about this issue then.

I measure and see what I get.

Seems odd that a vehicle would have a bum frame from the factory but I suppose stranger things have happened.

While I was installing, I wasn't paying attention and my jack moved and I ended up raising the jack while it was on the right lower control arm bracket on the axle. I wonder if this had something to do with it.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Ball joints?

Did you have the ball joints checked? they might be trashed (even comes that way strait out of the assembly).......

Voodoo Actual

Did you have the ball joints checked? they might be trashed (even comes that way strait out of the assembly).......

The vehicle has spent over 200 days in the shop - I'm assuming they looked at things like ball joints but I can ask.

The issue is a constant torque on the wheel which leads me to believe it's not something like ball joints. If it were I'd suspect the issue would go both ways depending on the road etc.

How would ball joints be trashed out of the assembly line anyways?

Voodoo Actual

While I was installing, I wasn't paying attention and my jack moved and I ended up raising the jack while it was on the right lower control arm bracket on the axle. I wonder if this had something to do with it.

I suppose you could unwind your work but there's not a lot to this. Wheel off. Spacer on. Torque spacer. Wheel on.

I don't buy the jack had anything to do with it. Hitting a small bump in the road exerts more force on the vehicle than jacking up a corner of the vehicle.

Napalm

I suppose you could unwind your work but there's not a lot to this. Wheel off. Spacer on. Torque spacer. Wheel on.

I don't buy the jack had anything to do with it. Hitting a small bump in the road exerts more force on the vehicle than jacking up a corner of the vehicle.

Agreed. Not sure, maybe it's all in my head/ or the wind. Thanks for the input.

Hope you find the answer to your problem soon !

Voodoo Actual

Agreed. Not sure, maybe it's all in my head/ or the wind. Thanks for the input.

Hope you find the answer to your problem soon !

There's smarter people than me here. It just doesn't make sense to me. Like a bent frame from the factory. These things are built with robotics, lasers, and CAD - how would that happen?

Pyro1415

Yeah the stock control arms could handle it, if you mean the axle control arm bracket, yeah that could definitely handle it. Maybe the vehicles drag link or steer sensor are off together from factory. I'm lost here, I'd find a 4x4 mechanic in your area ask them to take a quick look then when they diagnose the dealer take it there for repair.

Pyro1415

Dealer mechanics are usually morons, trust me my brother is one, the shit that man has done to people's cars...

Voodoo Actual

I'm not taking a new vehicle to an independent mechanic.

I'm not paying for the diagnosis of factory issues on a new vehicle.

I'm not paying for a loaner when my new vehicle is not functioning.

I will let Chrysler pay for all of that, which they should.

The last loaner I had (been many) cost Chrysler over $1,000 and my Jeep still does not travel in a straight line.

If you are suggesting to pay for a loaner because your new vehicle doesn't work then you have more money than brains.

I tried to read the whole thread to look and didn't see it.

When the Dealer stated Aligned and verified proper operation - And this was not the case - Did you have the Service Manager take you for a drive in your Jeep and show you it didn't pull - Then when he tells you it is normal - take a new one on the lot for spin. It sucks but sometimes "show me" works.

Voodoo Actual

I tried to read the whole thread to look and didn't see it.

When the Dealer stated Aligned and verified proper operation - And this was not the case - Did you have the Service Manager take you for a drive in your Jeep and show you it didn't pull - Then when he tells you it is normal - take a new one on the lot for spin. It sucks but sometimes "show me" works.

I did take him for a drive to demonstrate its a liability. He agreed and has told Chrysler that. Chrysler leaves myself and the dealer voice mails but never seems to be able to pick up during normal hours of operation.

Top Bottom