JK Pulling

Voodoo Actual

Read up a few posts. Neither of the two adjustments that can be made on a Wrangler will correct for a pull. Camber and caster are fixed. I would think the dealer would tell you if camber or caster were off, but I've seen stranger things.

Ask for the readout from the alignment.

I understand how it works. That is not the issue.

The dealer has done the alignment many times, which I've stated.

The only other thing left that is worth trying is playing with the dampener. Nothing else makes sense.

There is no reason that the vehicle should be behaving like this and the dealer has said its in spec. Before and after their alignments.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I understand how it works. That is not the issue.

The dealer has done the alignment many times, which I've stated.

The only other thing left that is worth trying is playing with the dampener. Nothing else makes sense.

There is no reason that the vehicle should be behaving like this and the dealer has said its in spec. Before and after their alignments.

I don't disagree with you that pulling the SS is a good place to start. That said, how do you know that is not the issue? What are the alignment numbers? The dealer saying "it is in spec" is one thing and the actual numbers are another. For all you know they are pulling out a tape measure and measuring toe as that is the only adjustment they can make (besides steering wheel center).

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just offering advice which is what you came looking for. Take it or leave it. But having been through a few similar issues, I have a tendency not to take someone's word (i.e. the dealer in your case). "Show me the data" is a moto I like to live by.

Maybe I missed it, but are you running any lift?

Voodoo Actual

I don't disagree with you that pulling the SS is a good place to start. That said, how do you know that is not the issue? What are the alignment numbers? The dealer saying "it is in spec" is one thing and the actual numbers are another. For all you know they are pulling out a tape measure and measuring toe as that is the only adjustment they can make (besides steering wheel center).

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just offering advice which is what you came looking for. Take it or leave it. But having been through a few similar issues, I have a tendency not to take someone's word (i.e. the dealer in your case). "Show me the data" is a moto I like to live by.

Maybe I missed it, but are you running any lift?

I don't have a lift. I would like one however, I would also like my Jeep to first, work...correctly.

I thought I had the alignment specs but I don't. I'll have to ask my service advisor for them. Here is what I have on hand:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430364274.823305.jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I don't have a lift. I would like one however, I would also like my Jeep to first, work...correctly.

I thought I had the alignment specs but I don't. I'll have to ask my service advisor for them. Here is what I have on hand:
View attachment 140254

Yikes, looks like you have had a few issues.

Great call getting everything straight first before putting on a lift. :thumbup:

The Jeep should track straight and if your current dealer is having a hard time tracking down the cause, it might be worth your time taking it to another dealer.

Just curious, have you swapped tires left to right? I know you said it has done it with a couple of sets of tires, but just want to rule them out 100%.

Voodoo Actual

Yikes, looks like you have had a few issues.

Great call getting everything straight first before putting on a lift. :thumbup:

The Jeep should track straight and if your current dealer is having a hard time tracking down the cause, it might be worth your time taking it to another dealer.

Just curious, have you swapped tires left to right? I know you said it has done it with a couple of sets of tires, but just want to rule them out 100%.

Yes. I've rotated tires front to back, cross rotated, and rotated them all clockwise.

The next dealer to me is 1.5 - 2 hours away - don't really want to make that trip for this.

I have free time today so I'll pull the stabilizer and see how that goes.

There has been many many issues with this one.

weekendjeeper

Had similar issue. Brand new JKU had a slight pull to the right. Checked tire pressure from on board screen and was 41 psi on all tires. Thought that was weirdly over inflated, but didn't trust my instincts. That same month had tire rotation, balancing, brake check (squeaking) and alignment done in another dealer. Service said everything was OK, but still was experiencing pull. Checked on board screen and again psi was still @ 41 on all tires. So finally decided to deflate tires to 32 psi based on temp outside being 50 degrees. To my surprise this actually worked. No more pulling ever since. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Voodoo Actual

Had similar issue. Brand new JKU had a slight pull to the right. Checked tire pressure from on board screen and was 41 psi on all tires. Thought that was weirdly over inflated, but didn't trust my instincts. That same month had tire rotation, balancing, brake check (squeaking) and alignment done in another dealer. Service said everything was OK, but still was experiencing pull. Checked on board screen and again psi was still @ 41 on all tires. So finally decided to deflate tires to 32 psi based on temp outside being 50 degrees. To my surprise this actually worked. No more pulling ever since. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I did considered tire pressure. I keep these tires at 28 - 30 psi all the way around.

I removed the stabilizer and drove around up to about 65 mph. It's not the stabilizer. What's next?

Un related - no stabilizer obviously lightens the steering and in creases the castor effect. What stabilizers have lighter than factory dampening? Fox or OME?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I did considered tire pressure. I keep these tires at 28 - 30 psi all the way around.

I removed the stabilizer and drove around up to about 65 mph. It's not the stabilizer. What's next?

Un related - no stabilizer obviously lightens the steering and in creases the castor effect. What stabilizers have lighter than factory dampening? Fox or OME?

Ugh, wish the SS was the issue.

I hate to say it, but before you go chasing your tail much more, do what you can to get the alignment numbers. It's possible you have a cross-camber issue or even a thrust angle issue (rear axle not square to the vehicle).

About the only other thing I can think of outside the alignment numbers is a brake dragging. Take it for a 5-10min spin with light brake applications. Once you bring the vehicle to a stop, get out a place your hand a few inches from each front brake (I wouldn't touch them as they can be really hot). Pay close attention to any major temperature delta between the two brakes. They will both probably be warm, however, is the right one considerably hotter?

You could also accomplish the brake check by raising the front end and turning each front wheel independently of the other noting any drag variations.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are going through. Things like this drive me crazy.

Rebel JK

Man that sucks. Good call above on the brakes and axle. Would not the tires also wear uneven with crossed up rear end?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Are you suggesting that this is a castor issue from the factory?

It could be. It's possible that prior to you owning it it took a real hard curb hit or something of that nature.

Stranger things have happened.

This is why you keep hearing us say we need to see the numbers. They may be perfectly fine, but then again, maybe not.

At the end of the day, it should be a warranty issue. However, sometimes it takes a little nudge to get the dealer looking in the right place.

Voodoo Actual

It could be. It's possible that prior to you owning it it took a real hard curb hit or something of that nature.

Stranger things have happened.

This is why you keep hearing us say we need to see the numbers. They may be perfectly fine, but then again, maybe not.

At the end of the day, it should be a warranty issue. However, sometimes it takes a little nudge to get the dealer looking in the right place.

Then the factory or a lot guy etc would of had to do it. When I bought the Jeep it had some 10 miles on it and the steering has always been like this and none of the dealers have fixed it - that much is obvious.

Last edited:

Flyer

My 2012 JK pulled to the right after my C gussets were (badly) welded. I assume it warped something. I switch my steering stabilizer to a Bilstein and it was perfect. I had heard the Bilsteins can make the JK pull to the left and I was pleasantly surprised. My currently JKU also pulls to the right a bit though it may be the tires. I still have that Bilstein stabilizer and am thinking of swapping out the stock one to see if it works again. Can't hurt anyway...I have it already. Some tell me they fix the pull by lengthening the front control arm a bit on the pulling side. The can become annoying on long trips. This one is not too bad but my last JK was annoying.

Voodoo Actual

My 2012 JK pulled to the right after my C gussets were (badly) welded. I assume it warped something. I switch my steering stabilizer to a Bilstein and it was perfect. I had heard the Bilsteins can make the JK pull to the left and I was pleasantly surprised. My currently JKU also pulls to the right a bit though it may be the tires. I still have that Bilstein stabilizer and am thinking of swapping out the stock one to see if it works again. Can't hurt anyway...I have it already. Some tell me they fix the pull by lengthening the front control arm a bit on the pulling side. The can become annoying on long trips. This one is not too bad but my last JK was annoying.

This is good information but my JKU is pretty much stock and has been pulling since day one. Over 200 days in the shop and no one has any answer on a 2014.

It's doesn't pull a little. It's tiring just driving a few miles. The whole trip is you trying to not side swipe people. If you let off the wheel for even a second you will be in the ditch.

I've driven many other JK's and owned other JK's. I have never experienced this in any of them.

I have no idea where to go with it other then to sue Chrysler which isn't really what I want to do but even they can't figure out what's what.

If you are lengthening a control arm, is that because the factory control arm wasn't in spec?

Top Bottom