JL vs JK

BeechAV8R

Is it an optical illusion or is the JL physically wider than the JK?
JL looks wider to me.
Love the look of the JL front grill.

jfdatlaw

Has anyone done a complete list of the changes between the 2017 JK and JL? I'm particularly interested in the interior changes. I sat in one at the dealer and I think I counted 10 USB connections between the standard and micro. I think there were 6 in the back seat alone plus a 110 outlet. I'm curious to see how much is added for this year versus a 2017.

JAGS

Hooked
I was under the impression the JL axle was the same size, just thicker walls.

IMG_4295.JPG

Obviously this is not my pic. Interesting if it is about an inch beefier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was under the impression the JL axle was the same size, just thicker walls.

Obviously this is not my pic. Interesting if it is about an inch beefier.

Dynatrac pointed this out in their video. If anything, we don't know how thick the walls are yet.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I would be interested in seeing seat height to the roof measurement on the jk vs JL... I sat in a hard top JL with the seat all the way down and my head was a good inch too tall to sit upright, I had to have my head cocked off to the side to even sit in the seat. I never had that issue in the TJ or yj,. I don't think I have day on a hard top jk

Sent from my E6820TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would be interested in seeing seat height to the roof measurement on the jk vs JL... I sat in a hard top JL with the seat all the way down and my head was a good inch too tall to sit upright, I had to have my head cocked off to the side to even sit in the seat. I never had that issue in the TJ or yj,. I don't think I have day on a hard top jk

Sent from my E6820TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

Are you serious? How tall are you?

JAGS

Hooked
Dynatrac pointed this out in their video. If anything, we don't know how thick the walls are yet.

Ah. So I had it backwards. Lol. Sorry. Haven't had my coffee yet. Now that you say it, it rings a bell. And Dynatrac had yet to slice one.

Never mind, nothing to see here. [emoji23]

Irishcoffee

This is where I'm at with the JK/JL. ^^ I'm set with my JKU and absolutely love it where its at. However, the JL has grown on me enough that in a year or so when I need a new company car/DD, this is what I'm going to be looking at.
The diesel will be out when I'm ready so that could be in play as well as It'd actually make it attractive as a DD for me.

Thanks for the comparison - that was really eye-opening!

About the Diesel on Wrangler: if it’s a VM Motori engine than think twice. My first factory engine maintained by the book, car baught by me, did not make it above 200k km. Engine bay blown. And like me are many more with diesels, especially 2007-2009 ENs VM Motori Common Rails manufactured in Italy and installed in Detroit for the export markets. Many of us in Europe would buy second a Pentastar on a Wrangler rather than a VM Motori (issues with this diesels: overheating, electronic failures, etc). Indeed high torque in offroad but with that might come an end to your joy!
Thanks for sharing those side by side pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I bet you are.

Girth is always better. Speaking of that. They had a white Rubi JL at the stealership here. I could not believe how much girthier the tie rods and center link was compared to the JK. Beefy!

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Passed by a Jeep dealer the other day that had a JL on the lot

IMG_5036.jpg

They had a Sahara and a Sport, both sitting directly next to JK's. It was pretty hard to tell the difference from the rear with the hard top being the only real giveaway. I was really surprised how underwhelmed I was. I've been really diggin all the great photos coming in, but after seeing the JL in person next to a JK, I don't think I'll be getting one for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

They had a Sahara and a Sport, both sitting directly next to JK's. It was pretty hard to tell the difference from the rear with the hard top being the only real giveaway. I was really surprised how underwhelmed I was. I've been really diggin all the great photos coming in, but after seeing the JL in person next to a JK, I don't think I'll be getting one for a while.

I'd have to agree that the Sport and Sahara are really lateral moves from the JK. The Rubicon is a bigger step forward or at least in my opinion but in a lot of ways, I'd be the first to admit that it still feels like a nicely improved version of the JK.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

View attachment 293141

I had a similar feeling when I finally saw a Sahara JL in person this past weekend. I didn't get to drive it though, and I bet that would change my impression with all the cool new features. I'm saving money for an LS swap for my 07 but buying a JL instead has crossed my mind a few times.

WJCO

Meme King
I love the grill so far, but don't like the ones with thin chrome inserts. If I get one, I'm definitely going to eliminate those or Plasti dip them black.

desertrunner

Test drove this bad boy today. I was kinda surprised after looking at the comparison photos I expected the JL to look and feel way bigger than the JK and I totally felt the opposite. Driving down the road looking at the hood it feels like driving a TJ feels skinny. Same with looking at the rear cage over the back seats it feels lower and skinnier. The only thing that seemed to be bigger was it definitely feels taller overall.

Still no way I can justify a 47G Rubicon but it sure is nice inside and out. 20180220_182507.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom