Jspec 3.5

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I wish I would have swapped out the bilsteins when I had the plush rides. While it rode good, I feel the shocks were not the right ones for those coils. I know larger tires affect the ride as well cuz it made me really sad at how nice and plush my jeep rode when I traded it in on the stock road tires from a sport and the TF 2.5" coils with bilsteins :thinking:

CJW

I talked to trail jeeps about the JKS springs. They didn't say that it road better or more comfortable, but that the JKS springs made the jeep handled a lot better on road and still felt comfortable to them.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Ya. In all honesty, you need to find someone with these lifts and test drive the Jeep to see what you like.
long story short, try to take a few rides in the different setups and note their control arms/springs/shock/steering setup to find your variables to make a decision.

I couldn't agree more. The bad part is that this tends to prolong the decision making process.

mastrcruse

I couldn't agree more. The bad part is that this tends to prolong the decision making process.

Totally agree haha! Sucks to wait. I'm super inpatient too but it would have saved me a few thousand to not pull the trigger fast. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Petzl88

I've got the JKS 2.5" coils with Rancho 9000 shocks (front extended length is 25"). Ends up having 9.75" wheel travel in the front with my 2.0" bump stops. The front coils will unseat with a 27" extended length front shock. FYI.

I had the EVO 2" coils on the front before these. I had spacers on top of the rear coils with the 2" EVO coils in front.

Granted I still had the stock coils in the rear with the EVO coils, and my buddy has the 3" EVO coils front and rear, I like them both. I don't think you could go wrong with either. They both ride nice on the road in my opinion. The JKS coils seem do perform nicely while cornering. And they're seem moderately soft.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463695091.336942.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463695152.574985.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463695191.924906.jpg

dunn81

My JSPEC 3.5 springs will arrive tomorrow and the drag link flip, lower adjustable control arms, 3" bump stops, front adjustable track bar, and brake lines will arrive Monday. I already have Rancho 9000s so we will see how they pair with the JKS springs... Stay tuned

GraniteCrystal

My JSPEC 3.5 springs will arrive tomorrow and the drag link flip, lower adjustable control arms, 3" bump stops, front adjustable track bar, and brake lines will arrive Monday. I already have Rancho 9000s so we will see how they pair with the JKS springs... Stay tuned

Sweet. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

dunn81

Got it where I can drive it this afternoon, still have several parts to go next week. I only went for short ride, but like the change so far. I'll give more detailed review when I get few miles and other upgrades installed...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463876936.260681.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Got it where I can drive it this afternoon, still have several parts to go next week. I only went for short ride, but like the change so far. I'll give more detailed review when I get few miles and other upgrades installed...
View attachment 204359

Looks great. Turns out we both have JKUR in Granite Crystal so nice to see exactly what mine would look like. Really interested in ride quality and your thoughts down the road.

dunn81

Initial review on short highway and farm field road: Keep in mind this is with Rancho 9s set at #2 softest. Also brand new 37x13.5 R17 Toyo MT on 8.5 wheels with 26lbs. Highway was very nice ride, on a good solid road, you never would believe you're in a Jeep. On roads with a few dips, I noticed mild bump steer; nothing bad but noticeable (don't have drag flip kit on yet). The vehicle seems to be very stable around the first few disruptions within a small range. You can feel each corner of the Jeep working to keep balance. At slow speeds in the field road the bumps were very mellow. I never felt any solid jar of any type on this trip even through a small field drainage ditch.

I didn't test the cornering ability that Tim raves about yet. I wanted to get a few more components installed before hammering too much.

Overall very pleased with highway and slow speed off road. I can't attest to any flex or "bajaing" at this time. I'll give some more opinions a little later.

GraniteCrystal

Initial review on short highway and farm field road: Keep in mind this is with Rancho 9s set at #2 softest. Also brand new 37x13.5 R17 Toyo MT on 8.5 wheels with 26lbs. Highway was very nice ride, on a good solid road, you never would believe you're in a Jeep. On roads with a few dips, I noticed mild bump steer; nothing bad but noticeable (don't have drag flip kit on yet). The vehicle seems to be very stable around the first few disruptions within a small range. You can feel each corner of the Jeep working to keep balance. At slow speeds in the field road the bumps were very mellow. I never felt any solid jar of any type on this trip even through a small field drainage ditch.

I didn't test the cornering ability that Tim raves about yet. I wanted to get a few more components installed before hammering too much.

Overall very pleased with highway and slow speed off road. I can't attest to any flex or "bajaing" at this time. I'll give some more opinions a little later.

Why the Ranchos? Doesn't it come with Fox 2.0 Performance shocks?

dunn81

I purchased the Ranchos last year when I put TF level kit on. I had intentions of purchasing EVO Plush coils and the feedback here was very positive for that combination. I bought them long enough with the intent of a 3-4" lift to follow.

Now that I have them they're really nice to adjust. I can tell a difference with my hard top on and the body roll (at least with the spacer lift, top is off now so not sure about JKS) and would stiffen it a click if needed. Also I purchased them at one of Ranchos promotions and received the rebate, so made them the sensible choice.

dunn81

And yes, if you purchase the kit, Fox shocks are included. However Trail Jeeps (probably anyone who is a distributor, but I used TJ and were very accommodating) can customize. I had a sway bar links and shocks, so am putting mine together as I go.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm exploring this option with Tim @ TJ as well. It's a real tough choice because EVO vs JKS I really could go either way.

GraniteCrystal

Any updates on how you're feeling about the JKS lift? Happy to follow a build thread if you have one going as well.

dunn81

Any updates on how you're feeling about the JKS lift? Happy to follow a build thread if you have one going as well.

I'm really enjoying the JKS springs/Rancho shocks. I am replying this way because I still have several unopened boxes of components to install. So if I'm happy with it now, it should only get better! (I have front lower control arms, front and rear track bars,
drag link flip kit, bump stops, and brake lines to go...)

I have noticed a little more bump steer since driving for a couple weeks (haven't installed drag link kit yet). It's not bad, but definitely noticeable on dippy roads. I also have been continually lowering my air pressure trying to get my new Toyo's contact patch flatter. I'm down to 24 psi cold, so some of the movement may be contributed from the tires themselves. With the 8.5 wheel I may not be able to get the 13.5 width as flat as I'd like for better tire wear.

I need to gather my pics and put a build thread together, don't have one...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465926515.577014.jpg
Steelie cooling it

Great thread guys! Yes, we are huge supporters of the JSpec set up. And yes we used to install a lot of Enforcers. Let me explain how we build Jeeps at Trail Jeeps...

We have a set formula on how to build different sized Jeeps. For example if you want 35's it used to be install a 3" Enforcer, do the wheels, tires, bumpers, blah blah blah and send you home. By sticking with the same suspension every time, I would know how your Jeep was going to ride before we laid hands on it. I would always say that making a Jeep perform well off road is easy. I mean come on, it has lockers, big tires and a long wheelbase, it better do well offroad. But making a Jeep drive well on the street is the trick.

So back to our formula. I would routinely have "other" suspension companies come in the shop and try and sell me on their kit. Not interested, I have my Enforcer and its good. Then one day, JKS stopped by with a demo Jeep and dared me to drive theirs and an Enforcer we had at the shop. Ok, wow me JKS. And guess what, they did! It takes a lot for me to change our formula but JKS managed to do just that. Is the Enforcer a bad kit? Absolutely not! I'll still sell you one and ship it to your door. But the JKS Jspec just simply rides better and is a lot more customizable as you progress off road.

Tim's Jeep actually used to be on an Enforcer and is now on a Jspec if that means anything. Not many know this but I just sold Jefe and my next Jeep is going to be on a Jspec.

Wes

Top Bottom