Jspec 3.5

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for clarifying Eddie and, again, I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions. I do appreciate that vendors aren't above questioning and the immense knowledge base available here. Just trying to tap into that knowledge a bit to get some hard intel on what would make the JKS better than another lift. I'll sit tight to hear Wes' response tomorrow.

Like you, I think we'd all like to know what makes the Jspec a "better" lift.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
As stated I never said JKS JSpec sucks. I don't know if it is better than any lift on the market.

If a company like TrailJeeps is going to say something is better, it tends to lend some weight and those inquiring minds want to know how exactly it's better than other lifts. I didn't like how Wes hopped on, blurted out an opinion (vague and suggestive) and vanished.

I would much more respect someone who would say they switched cause it was a better business decision ($$$) or it was comparable for a better price.

JAGS

Hooked
Like you, I think we'd all like to know what makes the Jspec a "better" lift.

Exactly. Is this the argument of good<better<best within the shock and coil platform. So these coils are "better" than plush rides? What shocks were the JKS coils paired with? Custom shocks? Was this compared to plush rides and EVO spec shock or plush rides and off the shelf shocks.

To your earlier points, there are many variables and one person's perfect street ride is not the same for the next person.

And, since it is dialed in for the street, how well does it do off road. Then you go back to all the variables I noted before. And those are just the tip of the iceberg.

And full circle, what makes it "better?"

MTG

Caught the Bug
How about they post their profit margins for both...then maybe they can "wow me" too? :idontknow:

jagrubb99

Man, at this point I'll be glad to purchase a jspec lift that rides better than one of those sub par DTD's. I'll be glad to make you a trade

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I have owned both kits. I had the 4" enforcer for 4 years. What I like better about the jspec is the cornering. Next to the shop we have a road that has a 4 turn tight S-curve. I would try and take that curve in my enforcer and the outside front spring would compress to the point that my rear would get really lose. With my jspec I've taken that curve at 63mph. I liked my enforcer. I I just like my jspec better. I also had some issues with the evo raised track bar bracket. I kept ripping it off in the big rocks. That usually resulted in a $200 tow bill. Good thing the shop is so close to the trails :) As far as profit margins go we do make about 15% more on the enforcer.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Man... fuck. :spock:

I just got DTD front and rear installed and NOW I find out about this. Dammit, where were you guys when I was working on my build in the middle of last year? If I had known!!! What am I going to do now?!!?? :hmm:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I have owned both kits. I had the 4" enforcer for 4 years. What I like better about the jspec is the cornering. Next to the shop we have a road that has a 4 turn tight S-curve. I would try and take that curve in my enforcer and the outside front spring would compress to the point that my rear would get really lose. With my jspec I've taken that curve at 63mph. I liked my enforcer. I I just like my jspec better. I also had some issues with the evo raised track bar bracket. I kept ripping it off in the big rocks. That usually resulted in a $200 tow bill. Good thing the shop is so close to the trails :) As far as profit margins go we do make about 15% more on the enforcer.

I drove crazy fast testing lift kits after installs, I can't say I could tell the front cool compressed that far? Did you have a camera on it?

And congrats on the shitty install on the bracket, that's some hard core shit to keep ripping it off

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
No one is saying that it's better than the DTD. Why do you insist on comparing the two? Wes wanted a new jeep. He decided he didn't want to go as big as his last one.

BlacknRedJK

I just got DTD front and rear installed and NOW I find out about this. Dammit, where were you guys when I was working on my build in the middle of last year? If I had known!!! What am I going to do now?!!?? :hmm:

Have the best off the shelf suspension on the market... Sounds good to me....

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
No one is saying that it's better than the DTD. Why do you insist on comparing the two? Wes wanted a new jeep. He decided he didn't want to go as big as his last one.

Jks is built by Zone and BDS, you might as well be trying to sell me teraflex

benatc1

Hooked

I'll buy you a JKS one and we can trade straight up..deal?? haha ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have owned both kits. I had the 4" enforcer for 4 years. What I like better about the jspec is the cornering. Next to the shop we have a road that has a 4 turn tight S-curve. I would try and take that curve in my enforcer and the outside front spring would compress to the point that my rear would get really lose. With my jspec I've taken that curve at 63mph. I liked my enforcer.

Okay, so what it sounds like to me is that the Jspec kit rides more like an AEV kit on pavement. Tighter when it comes to handling in the corners but on the harsh side off road. Of course, "making a Jeep perform well off road is easy. I mean come on, it has lockers, big tires and a long wheelbase, it better do well offroad." Not as if anyone would want a comfortable ride on the trail. Now, making a Jeep take a curve at 63mph, clearly, that's what ever Jeeper wants.

I I just like my jspec better.

Ride quality is 100% subjective.

I also had some issues with the evo raised track bar bracket. I kept ripping it off in the big rocks. That usually resulted in a $200 tow bill. Good thing the shop is so close to the trails :)

The EVO track bar bracket is a carbon copy of the AEV bracket. Kinda lame that EVO did that instead of coming up with something original but I digress. Over they years, I have only see ONE bracket break and that was due to lack of maintenance. The bolts on the inside are difficult to get but can still come loose - this is why I always recommend that you have the brackets burned on. I have this bracket on Rubicat and have never had it break on me but then, mine is welded on and I never play on big rocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Maybe because he said, and I quote, "not many know this but I just sold Jefe and my next Jeep is going to be on a Jspec." He made ZERO mention of not wanting to go as big with his new Jeep.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

Okay, so my comment was a bit on the smart ass side. It was an attempt at humor, nothing more. I meant no disrespect to Wes or yourself since I have never met either of you and hope to one day.

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in my response.

First off, I don't want anyone to think that I am bashing Evo at all. I am not. They are a great company and they make solid parts. Jefe was not sold because I think a JKS Jspec is better than a DTD. Trying to compare a DTD to a Jspec is apples to oranges. Two very different suspensions meant for two very different purposes. Jefe was an incredible Jeep and rode well both on and off road. My reason for selling was purely business related. I took a long, hard look at what kind of Jeep we were putting out on a regular basis. It was usually a Jeep on 35's, maybe 37's, some nice bumpers, winch, beadlocks and a Jspec. We build a lot of those Jeeps every year. I realized that I was driving a Jeep (Jefe) that we build maybe two or three of in a year. I wanted to show my customers that I wasn't just talking the talk but I am also walking the walk. I wanted my current and future customers to see that because I believe in the products I sell and install so much that I am also using them. My wife's Jeep built the same way. Yes customers would come in and be amazed by Jefe (and they should be, the DTD kills it!) but most Jeep owners can't afford a vehicle like that. Will I miss my DTD? Absolutely, I already miss it! But I am also looking forward to showing customers that what I am suggesting you use on your Jeep, also is being used on my Jeep.

Ok so the meat and potatoes on this thread. Why do I choose the Jspec. It all revolves around the coil. JKS uses a cold wound dual rate coil which provides good wheel travel, load handling, on road handling and a predictable ride height and street ride. I also liked that they provide 2 and 4 door specific coils for 2.5" and 3.5". Again not bashing the Enforcer but there were times where a 3" plush ride on a 2 door would be to much for 35's. We normally found this with lighter Jeeps (plastic bumpers for example). Back to the JKS coils. Their first stage is short and very compliant but the second stage is larger and very aggressive. This means that the Jeep rides in the first stage but the second stage takes the vehicle's weight. The key for the coils' ability to take a load, handle well and control wheel travel is because the second stage engages before the first stage is fully compressed.

We all have different opinions on coil construction and that is ok. I am not here to try and convince anyone that a dual rate coil is better than a linear coil. I felt that a dual rate coil provides my customers with the best ride possible for their Jeep and so far they have been agreeing with me.

I hope that makes sense. JKS and their engineers really took the time to educate us on their coils as they recognize that the coils are what makes their kit different. They will even be the first to say that other companies like Evo, Teraflex, MetalCloak, and AEV make good parts but in the end they all have different philosophies on how to make a Jeep ride.

If anyone has a specific question about the JKS Jspec or the Evo Enforcer please feel free to message me, call me or email me!

jagrubb99

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in my response.

First off, I don't want anyone to think that I am bashing Evo at all. I am not. They are a great company and they make solid parts. Jefe was not sold because I think a JKS Jspec is better than a DTD. Trying to compare a DTD to a Jspec is apples to oranges. Two very different suspensions meant for two very different purposes. Jefe was an incredible Jeep and rode well both on and off road. My reason for selling was purely business related. I took a long, hard look at what kind of Jeep we were putting out on a regular basis. It was usually a Jeep on 35's, maybe 37's, some nice bumpers, winch, beadlocks and a Jspec. We build a lot of those Jeeps every year. I realized that I was driving a Jeep (Jefe) that we build maybe two or three of in a year. I wanted to show my customers that I wasn't just talking the talk but I am also walking the walk. I wanted my current and future customers to see that because I believe in the products I sell and install so much that I am also using them. My wife's Jeep built the same way. Yes customers would come in and be amazed by Jefe (and they should be, the DTD kills it!) but most Jeep owners can't afford a vehicle like that. Will I miss my DTD? Absolutely, I already miss it! But I am also looking forward to showing customers that what I am suggesting you use on your Jeep, also is being used on my Jeep.

Ok so the meat and potatoes on this thread. Why do I choose the Jspec. It all revolves around the coil. JKS uses a cold wound dual rate coil which provides good wheel travel, load handling, on road handling and a predictable ride height and street ride. I also liked that they provide 2 and 4 door specific coils for 2.5" and 3.5". Again not bashing the Enforcer but there were times where a 3" plush ride on a 2 door would be to much for 35's. We normally found this with lighter Jeeps (plastic bumpers for example). Back to the JKS coils. Their first stage is short and very compliant but the second stage is larger and very aggressive. This means that the Jeep rides in the first stage but the second stage takes the vehicle's weight. The key for the coils' ability to take a load, handle well and control wheel travel is because the second stage engages before the first stage is fully compressed.

We all have different opinions on coil construction and that is ok. I am not here to try and convince anyone that a dual rate coil is better than a linear coil. I felt that a dual rate coil provides my customers with the best ride possible for their Jeep and so far they have been agreeing with me.

I hope that makes sense. JKS and their engineers really took the time to educate us on their coils as they recognize that the coils are what makes their kit different. They will even be the first to say that other companies like Evo, Teraflex, MetalCloak, and AEV make good parts but in the end they all have different philosophies on how to make a Jeep ride.

If anyone has a specific question about the JKS Jspec or the Evo Enforcer please feel free to message me, call me or email me!

Ok, thanks for providing more info. At first it sounded like the jspec was being compared to the DTD. I guess that makes a little more sense now to have a more reasonable suspension system to advertise

Top Bottom