Jspec 3.5

GraniteCrystal

Great thread guys! Yes, we are huge supporters of the JSpec set up. And yes we used to install a lot of Enforcers. Let me explain how we build Jeeps at Trail Jeeps...

We have a set formula on how to build different sized Jeeps. For example if you want 35's it used to be install a 3" Enforcer, do the wheels, tires, bumpers, blah blah blah and send you home. By sticking with the same suspension every time, I would know how your Jeep was going to ride before we laid hands on it. I would always say that making a Jeep perform well off road is easy. I mean come on, it has lockers, big tires and a long wheelbase, it better do well offroad. But making a Jeep drive well on the street is the trick.

So back to our formula. I would routinely have "other" suspension companies come in the shop and try and sell me on their kit. Not interested, I have my Enforcer and its good. Then one day, JKS stopped by with a demo Jeep and dared me to drive theirs and an Enforcer we had at the shop. Ok, wow me JKS. And guess what, they did! It takes a lot for me to change our formula but JKS managed to do just that. Is the Enforcer a bad kit? Absolutely not! I'll still sell you one and ship it to your door. But the JKS Jspec just simply rides better and is a lot more customizable as you progress off road.

Tim's Jeep actually used to be on an Enforcer and is now on a Jspec if that means anything. Not many know this but I just sold Jefe and my next Jeep is going to be on a Jspec.

Wes

Thanks for replying to this Wes. As you know, I'm trying to make this same decision.

This is the first suspension I've ever looked into putting on a vehicle, so maybe this question doesn't even make sense, but I like actionable/material/quantifiable differences to point to. Can you give some for what make the JKS "ride better" and "more customizable"? Things I can say for when someone asks me why I went with a JSpec over any other lift (specifically the Enforcer).

Second question I have: if I'm already driving a Rubicon do I need the stuff the JSpec comes with? I already have disconnectable sway bar built in, don't need quick disconnects etc

Thanks

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ok Wes, I'll bite. I'm going to set on road ride to the side for a minute because that is completely subjective in my opinion. That said, how is the JKS more easily customizable for off-road use? Also, what exact configuration of each kit are you comparing? As you know, both kits can be had with a big spectrum of shocks.

My .02 for what it's worth. This seems to me like a situation where you likely prefer one spring rate over another, which is perfectly fine. When I compare some of the other aspects of the two kits, I'm left confused why the JKS come on top.

Again, my .02 but as a rubicon owner I don't want to spend money on parts I don't need like $175 quick disconnects (maybe they can be deleted from the kit) or a $200 adjustable trackbar (the stock trackbar works just fine with the appropriate bracket). I have to assume that you are NOT talking about the kit that comes with drop brackets instead of adjustable control arms since those brackets effectively negate the frame clearance benefits of running bigger tires.

So all of this takes me back to you likely preferring the JKS spring rate over EVO's plush rides. Again, that is fine but ride quality is very subjective.

Last edited:

COLOJK

I just sat down with Tim today and went over every aspect of the JKS lift that I have decided to go with. We have pretty much decided that we will piece together a type of jspec kit while leaving things out that I do not need and or already have. From what I can tell it is very customizable in the sense that pieces can be added or subtracted to their main kits in order to only get the parts that are needed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just sold Jefe and my next Jeep is going to be on a Jspec.

Wow... I mean, just wow. If I recall, Jefe was running DTD's and now you're saying you would rather run a standard coil and shock setup because it's that much better. I'm speechless.

jagrubb99

Wow... I mean, just wow. If I recall, Jefe was running DTD's and now you're saying you're rather run a standard coil and shock setup because it's that much better. I'm speechless.

I was wondering the same thing.. I was just guessing maybe they had something in the works but I can't imagine going from a DTD back to a standard lift???

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I was wondering the same thing.. I was just guessing maybe they had something in the world but I can't imagine going from a DTD back to a standard lift???

Wow... I mean, just wow. If I recall, Jefe was running DTD's and now you're saying you would rather run a standard coil and shock setup because it's that much better. I'm speechless.

I saw Wes a few days ago and he told me he was going to run a JSpec on his new JK. The impression I got was that he wasn't comparing the two lifts (JSpec and DTD) as comparable at all. Rather having a JSpec available at all times for people to test drive would better suit him as a business owner. This way people can test it out before diving in and it says something that he likes it enough to put it on his Jeep.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

I was just going through this thread and about to ask the same thing. I thought Jefe was running DTD?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering the same thing.. I was just guessing maybe they had something in the works but I can't imagine going from a DTD back to a standard lift???

Well, I suppose "making a Jeep perform well off road is easy. I mean come on, if it has lockers, big tires and a long wheelbase, it better do well offroad... making a Jeep drive well on the street is the trick." Not like suspension and steering geometry would have anything to do with that.

I saw Wes a few days ago and he told me he was going to run a JSpec on his new JK. The impression I got was that he wasn't comparing the two lifts (JSpec and DTD) as comparable at all. Rather having a JSpec available at all times for people to test drive would better suit him as a business owner. This way people can test it out before diving in and it says something that he likes it enough to put it on his Jeep.

If that's true, he really should have stated as much as that's not how it sounded to me.

COLOJK

This is also the conversation I had with him.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This thread is awesome on so many levels. :cheesy:

You just said a company that provides you with what I would guess to be 50% or more of your sales is not what you want to run. That is awesome! :cheesy:

Business 101 ----- F-

Ginz

Hmmmmm the shop I went to was also pushing jks lifts. Everything I mentioned they compared to jks. 🤔

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I just took it as he likes the Jspec enough to run on his own Jeep. I'm sure plenty of people on here have gotten rid of a vehicle and went with something a little more mild or less expensive on the next one. Just my two pennies not that it means much.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Where exactly is Wes? Perhaps he's is using his "set formula" calculator to add up his next batch of manure, I mean post.

GraniteCrystal

I"m a little confused

I'm a little confused what's going on at this point in the conversation. It started out as simple request for input on a specific lift and has now devolved into no less than 3 moderators (Eddie, Adam, Frank) more or less calling out Wes (a paying vendor) on his decision to support this lift without adding any concrete reasons as to why they think the JSpec sucks. Perhaps those reasons are entirely obvious to those as seasoned as them, but to the rest of us who are trying to make this decision, some sound arguments as to the merits of one lift (say, the Enforcer) over the JSpec would be much appreciated. If there are such arguments, please state them! That's what we're here for! But, so far, it just feels like shock and horror that one would run the JSpec over the Enforcer without actually explaining why.

Eddie, Adam, Frank, if I misunderstood any of your posts/intentions please forgive me and clarify. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a little confused what's going on at this point in the conversation. It started out as simple request for input on a specific lift and has now devolved into no less than 3 moderators (Eddie, Adam, Frank) more or less calling out Wes (a paying vendor) on his decision to support this lift without adding any concrete reasons as to why they think the JSpec sucks. Perhaps those reasons are entirely obvious to those as seasoned as them, but to the rest of us who are trying to make this decision, some sound arguments as to the merits of one lift (say, the Enforcer) over the JSpec would be much appreciated. If there are such arguments, please state them! That's what we're here for! But, so far, it just feels like shock and horror that one would run the JSpec over the Enforcer without actually explaining why.

Eddie, Adam, Frank, if I misunderstood any of your posts/intentions please forgive me and clarify. Thanks.

I beg your pardon but I never called out anyone. I have absolutely ZERO issues with the Jspec kit and never suggested that it "sucks". Likewise, I never said anything about the Enforcer kit let alone it being a better or otherwise. Truth be told, I really couldn't care less and for all I know, the Jspec kit might really be a better kit for some. Ride quality is afterall, 100% subjective. I can't speak for Adam or Frank and would never pretend to and them being moderators here would not prevent them from being able to voice their own opinions. In spite of what some out there would suggest, the fact that Wes chooses to advertise here does not mean he is incapable of saying things that are questionable or that they shouldn't be questioned.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I guess I hadn't posted in this thread (must have been another one on this topic) but I have the Jspec 3.5 installed with adjustable FLCA's and drag link flip with Fox 2.0's and I'm very happy with it. It's definitely an improvement over the stock ride quality. As I stated in the other thread I can't compare it to other kits out there since this is my first on a JK but am definitely happy with the quality and performance for the price point. If anyone in my area would like to take it for a spin when trying to decide on suspension just let me know.

GraniteCrystal

I beg your pardon but I never called out anyone. I have absolutely ZERO issues with the Jspec kit and never suggested that it "sucks". Likewise, I never said anything about the Enforcer kit let alone it being a better or otherwise. Truth be told, I really couldn't care less and for all I know, the Jspec kit might really be a better kit for some. Ride quality is afterall, 100% subjective. I can't speak for Adam or Frank and would never pretend to and them being moderators here would not prevent them from being able to voice their own opinions. In spite of what some out there would suggest, the fact that Wes chooses to advertise here does not mean he is incapable of saying things that are questionable or that they shouldn't be questioned.

Thanks for clarifying Eddie and, again, I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions. I do appreciate that vendors aren't above questioning and the immense knowledge base available here. Just trying to tap into that knowledge a bit to get some hard intel on what would make the JKS better than another lift. I'll sit tight to hear Wes' response tomorrow.

Top Bottom