Lift Height with Coilovers

JK's JK

Banned
My next question??? I would assume that's way to high since it's best to stay around 4-4.5" of lift correct? And even if I stayed there at 5.5", I couldn't get the CO's to that height right?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I would say 5.5" is way to high myself. How would 4.5" coils get me to 5.5" of lift??? I think the CO's adjustments are 3.5" - 5" of lift??? I'm talking about the front which has the RE coils...:shock:

It is not uncommon at all for springs to give much higher than the advertised height. Some springs are stiffer than others, and some manufacturers list their lift heights based on having aftermarket bumpers, winches, heavy spare tires, etc.

JK's JK

Banned
You should not need 5.5" of lift to properly clear 37's.

Ok....I was told the springs will settle after there has been a full load on them. I guess I'll drive it for a little bit.

I'm still worried the CO's will sag in the back. I was also told that the spring rate on the CO's could be changed out for free right when you put the on. My top is 200 and the bottom is 250. I think someone said 250 top and 300 bottom???

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Ok....I was told the springs will settle after there has been a full load on them. I guess I'll drive it for a little bit.

I'm still worried the CO's will sag in the back. I was also told that the spring rate on the CO's could be changed out for free right when you put the on. My top is 200 and the bottom is 250. I think someone said 250 top and 300 bottom???

you'll be fine with the set up. I've been running the same combo since the install. If it drops adjust the ride height.

The only time I need a heavier coil is when it's completely loaded with camping gear, tools and beer for 4 days. It ran just fine on JKX..

MTG

Caught the Bug
you'll be fine with the set up. I've been running the same combo since the install. If it drops adjust the ride height.

The only time I need a heavier coil is when it's completely loaded with camping gear, tools and beer for 4 days. It ran just fine on JKX..

I call bullshit! I've seen you drink and there is no way you could get 4 days worth of beer in a jeep.

:cheesy:

JK's JK

Banned

Called over to Northridge today about wrench that I have to buy. Sounds like Synergy offers up a double sided wrench for adjusting the CO's.

I haven't gotten to a point to adjust them just yet but I believe there are two adjustments??? The center collar and I think rotation of the top of the shock as well??

When you stiffen the shock, do you loose droop or flex?

Last edited:

ttfhell

You don't need a special tool. You can use an Allen wrench with the short side in the whole. WD40 on the threads it will spin easy with the axles dropped all the way. You are worried about being high so basically you need the threads on the timing rings close to the top. The more they compress the coil the higher the ride height.

JK's JK

Banned
You don't need a special tool. You can use an Allen wrench with the short side in the whole. WD40 on the threads it will spin easy with the axles dropped all the way. You are worried about being high so basically you need the threads on the timing rings close to the top. The more they compress the coil the higher the ride height.

I was told to buy one of these bad boys.

Spanner wrench.jpg

How does the sliver collar in the middle of the shock determine the ride height? I did notice when the shock was hanging from the frame, I could rotate the top collar with the allen head screw, it would decrease or increase (I believe). Is that what your talking about?

I have RE 4.5" shocks in the front. There sitting at 5.5". Worried about being to high and top heavy.

(JUST NOTICED COLLOAR!!!!!!)
DSC02939.1.jpg

Last edited:

ttfhell

-It's your money and down time however that beast will be a bitch to get on the adjuster (top blue ring) if you plan on adjusting your ride height with the wheels still on..

How does the sliver collar in the middle of the shock determine the ride height?
-It doesn't, it's the stop ring. It sets when the load transfers from the top coil to the heavier bottom coil. That's not adjusted until you load and drive your jeep around the block.

I did notice when the shock was hanging from the frame, I could rotate the top collar with the allen head screw, it would decrease or increase (I believe). Is that what your talking about?
-Yes for ride height. If you put your jack stands on the frame and let the axle droop you can easily turn the adjuster by hand. One turn equals approx 1/8" in height adjustment.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug

-It's your money and down time however that beast will be a bitch to get on the adjuster (top blue ring) if you plan on adjusting your ride height with the wheels still on..

How does the sliver collar in the middle of the shock determine the ride height?
-It doesn't, it's the stop ring. It sets when the load transfers from the top coil to the heavier bottom coil. That's not adjusted until you load and drive your jeep around the block.

I did notice when the shock was hanging from the frame, I could rotate the top collar with the allen head screw, it would decrease or increase (I believe). Is that what your talking about?
-Yes for ride height. If you put your jack stands on the frame and let the axle droop you can easily turn the adjuster by hand. One turn equals approx 1/8" in height adjustment.

Excellent summary and set of directions, Russ.:thumb:

JK's JK

Banned

1 - I've been told by two people to adjust the sliver ring to the top just about a inch down from the top.

2 - I would assume it's left loose, right tight?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1 - I've been told by two people to adjust the sliver ring to the top just about a inch down from the top.

Are you talking about the timing rings? What two people told you this and did they explain why you would want to do this?

2 - I would assume it's left loose, right tight?

Again, are you referring to the timing rings? If so, why would you assume that it should be left loose?

JK's JK

Banned
Are you talking about the timing rings? What two people told you this and did they explain why you would want to do this?

Again, are you referring to the timing rings? If so, why would you assume that it should be left loose?

1 - (The sliver ring in the center). I was told to do this because of droop and ride quality (If my memory servers me correctly :grayno:)

2 - I'm talking about the top of the shock with the sliver allen head screw in . When they where hanging down, I noticed they increased and decreased. I'm assuming left would loosen the shock and right would tighten the shock for ride height. And how high can the CO's go?

Since your here and you'll give me a honest answer. I put on some 4.5" RE shocks. I haven't put on the full weight of the Jeep on the coils yet on the front but I'm measuring 5.5" (18.5" stock and measuring 24" total). Is this way to high? I was also told they would setting down after a little bit of time.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I haven't put on the full weight of the Jeep on the shocks yet on the front but I'm measuring 5.5" (18.5" stock and measuring 24" total).

Wait, what?

You took the measurement when the jeep wasn't on the ground? :thinking:

JK's JK

Banned
Wait, what?

You took the measurement when the jeep wasn't on the ground? :thinking:

When I put the front coils on the Jeep measuring at the top of the shock tower, to the bottom of the shock center bolt, stock is 18.5" per a diagram. When I measured it's 24". What I'm trying to get to is, I don't want to flip/ roll my vehicle being to high. Shakey said it would be ok but if I'm not mistaken 5.5" or even 5" is to high.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1 - (The sliver ring in the center). I was told to do this because of droop and ride quality (If my memory servers me correctly :grayno:)

Again, who told you this? Mel or Drew at ORE? Andrew at EVO? Again, did they explain how this would effect droop?

2 - I'm talking about the top of the shock with the sliver allen head screw in . When they where hanging down, I noticed they increased and decreased. I'm assuming left would loosen the shock and right would tighten the shock for ride height. And how high can the CO's go?

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following you here but, the top collar will help you to adjust ride height.

Since your here and you'll give me a honest answer. I put on some 4.5" RE shocks. I haven't put on the full weight of the Jeep on the coils yet on the front but I'm measuring 5.5" (18.5" stock and measuring 24" total). Is this way to high? I was also told they would setting down after a little bit of time.

Again, I apologize if I'm not understanding you here but, why would you be taking measurements without the full weight of your Jeep on the ground? :thinking:

Top Bottom