Lift Height with Coilovers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When I put the front coils on the Jeep measuring at the top of the shock tower, to the bottom of the shock center bolt, stock is 18.5" per a diagram. When I measured it's 24". What I'm trying to get to is, I don't want to flip/ roll my vehicle being to high. Shakey said it would be ok but if I'm not mistaken 5.5" or even 5" is to high.

But, you're saying that you are getting this measurement WITHOUT the full weight of your Jeep on the ground. Or, am I missing something :idontknow:

I can't post pictures on my work lap, but a picture that I saw showed 1" from the top of the shock on the CO.

And who posted up that picture?

MTG

Caught the Bug
When I put the front coils on the Jeep measuring at the top of the shock tower, to the bottom of the shock center bolt, stock is 18.5" per a diagram. When I measured it's 24". What I'm trying to get to is, I don't want to flip/ roll my vehicle being to high. Shakey said it would be ok but if I'm not mistaken 5.5" or even 5" is to high.

And then you added this...

I haven't put on the full weight of the Jeep on the shocks yet on the front but I'm measuring 5.5" (18.5" stock and measuring 24" total).

Which leads me to believe the jeep hasn't been on the ground yet. So you actually don't know what the actual measurement is.

I'm not a certified vehicle physicist, but I do not think your jeep will spontaneously roll if you have it 1" higher than you planned.

You seem to be trying to talk yourself into going out and getting the front coilovers or different springs (again, before the jeep has even been on the ground). If that's the case, go for it. It's only money right? Wife won't be too mad. You don't need to eat three meals a day. etc.

Why don't you wait and see what happens when you get it all installed, adjusted and put on the ground? Maybe even drive it around the block? Careful around the corners with it that high!

JK's JK

Banned
Again, who told you this? Mel or Drew at ORE? Andrew at EVO? Again, did they explain how this would effect droop?

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following you here but, the top collar will help you to adjust ride height.

Again, I apologize if I'm not understanding you here but, why would you be taking measurements without the full weight of your Jeep on the ground? :thinking:

I should start over.

Here is a post that was made 762. Shows the sliver collar to be about a 1 inch from the top. I should just call EVO on this.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?10856-JK-s-JK-Rubicon-Build/page77

The top collar. When you rotate that at what direction does it give you 3.5" of lift to 5" of lift?

Ok, When I started the CO project this last weekend. I began with the front coils so I can determine the leveling of the Jeep for the CO's. When I put the brand new coils on the front, I measured 24" from the top of the shock tower to the center bolt at the bottom. The vehicle was on the ground level.

Starting to sound stupid. :doh:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The silver collars are your timing rings. As ttfhell had already pointed out, it determines when the load transfers from the softer rate top coil to the heavier rate bottom one. This is what helps you to drive hard and fast in the desert. Depending on the coil you are running, you setting it 1" from the top will most likely cause it to never get used.

Rotating the top collar down will increase your ride height. Rotating it up will decrease your ride height. Once you know what you are currently sitting at, you can make adjustments accordingly by taking measurements as you go.

StrizzyChris

I can't tell what picture you linked to above, but if its a pic I posted then don't use my COs as a reference other than what I showed you for brackets. I have not finished setting up my final ride height and the timing rings at all yet.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And to be clear, I'm not saying you are going to roll your Jeep with 5" of lift. I'm simply saying that (1) 5" of lift shouldn't be necessary to properly run 37's and (2) advertised spring lift for some manufacturer's springs is frequently less than the true amount of lift you will get from the spring (especially if you don't have heavy aftermarket bumpers).

JK's JK

Banned
The silver collars are your timing rings. As ttfhell had already pointed out, it determines when the load transfers from the softer rate top coil to the heavier rate bottom one. This is what helps you to drive hard and fast in the desert. Depending on the coil you are running, you setting it 1" from the top will most likely cause it to never get used.

Rotating the top collar down will increase your ride height. Rotating it up will decrease your ride height. Once you know what you are currently sitting at, you can make adjustments accordingly by taking measurements as you go.

1- So how do you determine moving the center ring up or down? So don't move it 1" from the top then how do you determine by driving the vehicle where to place it (by feel?)?
2- Thank you for explaining the rotation of the shock to me. When you rotate the top collar down it stiffens the CO. Do you loose anything by moving the shock further down, stiffening the CO?
DSC02939.JPG

I can't tell what picture you linked to above, but if its a pic I posted then don't use my COs as a reference other than what I showed you for brackets. I have not finished setting up my final ride height and the timing rings at all yet.

Not using your pictures. Aspenkid posted up some pictures. The link doesnt work :thinking:

And to be clear, I'm not saying you are going to roll your Jeep with 5" of lift. I'm simply saying that (1) 5" of lift shouldn't be necessary to properly run 37's and (2) advertised spring lift for some manufacturer's springs is frequently less than the true amount of lift you will get from the spring (especially if you don't have heavy aftermarket bumpers).

I know the Jeep wont roll at 5.5" of lift on a flat surface. When I talk about 5 plus, I'm talking about when I'm on the trail going on obsticles.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
doesn't that middle silver ring need to be closer to the blue slider collar? i don't know much about coil overs either, but i think that is too high:idontknow:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399407615.532445.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399407645.566783.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399407667.188952.jpg
Jess, remember, these pictures were just to show you tools. They are not how I have my timing rings or my height set.
As stated, get it setting on the ground. Run it through some flex cycles. Then, on level ground start looking at how it sits. Adjust from there. I can't remember who gave me the advise, Eddie or Andrew from EVO, but I love the fact that I can run as little of lift as possible to clear tires at stuff and get FULL advantage of the flex of CO's on the trails with my COG as low as possible!

JK's JK

Banned
doesn't that middle silver ring need to be closer to the blue slider collar? i don't know much about coil overs either, but i think that is too high:idontknow:

That picture is straight out of the box and I haven't adjusted anything just yet. So far I've found that I need to move the blue collar (top) down and the sliver collar??

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
That picture is straight out of the box and I haven't adjusted anything just yet. So far I've found that I need to move the blue collar (top) down and the sliver collar??

i think the silver rings should be 1/2" above the blue collar at ride height. and you might have to crank down the blue collar to get it even with your front 5" inch lift

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1- So how do you determine moving the center ring up or down? So don't move it 1" from the top then how do you determine by driving the vehicle where to place it (by feel?)?

Your upper softer rate coil is what gets used for a majority of your driving. The lower heavier rate coils are there for bigger hits and you'll want to set them accordingly. If anything, you'll want them set closer to the coupler between the two coils.

2- Thank you for explaining the rotation of the shock to me. When you rotate the top collar down it stiffens the CO. Do you loose anything by moving the shock further down, stiffening the CO?

What?? Unless you are restricting the travel of your shock, rotating the top collar will not stiffen the coil, it will increase the height of your Jeep just like a coil spacer would. Of course, there is a limit to this but so long as you are working within reason, nothing should be lost.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Uh I'm pretty sure he bought from Northridge but CALLED ORE for help.

I just saw that and now see why he purposefully chose to not answer my question. :naw:

As lame as that was of him to do, he could have at least been honest with me about it. That fact that he chose not to be makes me loose any respect I may of had for him.

Top Bottom