Lightweight rear tire carrier opinions? (Under Cover Fabworks?)

Tango_Down

Thanks for the link. I will be checking mine today. Looks like the web research I did vs. experienced threads like this have a huge disconnect! I appreciate the info as it concerns me too. My apologies for the side bar....

Jackal01

Thanks for the link. I will be checking mine today. Looks like the web research I did vs. experienced threads like this have a huge disconnect! I appreciate the info as it concerns me too. My apologies for the side bar....

At least you're not being a douche about it and completely disregarding their documented failure like others have done.

DGP

Have you looked at Crawler Conceptz hinge mount carrier. may be an option. Then toss the bumper and get the Evo D-ring mounts.

Hey this looks like a feasible option, no TF for my jeep. I really like the looks of their bumpers too. I wish they posted the weight on the website. My guess is it's similar to ace engineering, heavy. Anyone use the Crawler Concepts?

deadguy

Just did a crawler conseptz body mount carrier and it was a breeze to install and fit and finish was great

Attachments

• 1453070994696.jpg
    1453070994696.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 276

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
The Genright looks like a nice tire carrier but i want one that opens with the door. Don't like the idea of having to remove pins, swing the tire out of the way and then open the tailgate.

Have you given the AEV swing out tire carrier a look? If not, it's what I'd recommend for your needs. You DO NOT have to run it with their bumper or any bumper at all for that matter.

Ah, I missed that you wanted one that opens with the gate. My bad! In that case, I would also recommend the AEV swing out carrier. It's stout, made in the US, and has successfully been used in conjunction with the EVO rear bumper facia and D rings. There are other options out there as well (Crawler Conceptz, Addictive Desert Designs, Maxximus, etc.) Whatever you decide, I would recommend you stay with a good, high quality, US made product.

deadguy

The whole setup is solid. There is nothing to really rattle since it all ties into each other with the tailgate plate. No latching mechanisms or anything like that to loosen up.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Coworker of mine runs the AEV tire carrier on his JK with no rear bumper, with a 37" tire, and he's had no problems or complaints. Says it's rattle free.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Been using the Crawler Concepts rear carrier over a year now. No issues. Running 37" Spare on it.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Any photos of it?

I had some cool pics from the install but that phone died so I just pulled these off of Facebook. Hope it's helps I know it's not much

Attachments

• 1453077294061.jpg
    1453077294061.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 1453077304243.jpg
    1453077304243.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 245

kfchris

Do you have their bumper too? I just looked on their site and the bumper prices look too good to be true in all honesty, are the welds ok? (Understand I'm a weld inspector by trade so I always ask that and my standards are extremely high)

JoeB-JKURX

Maximus-3 Tire Carrier - Problem with 4.5" Backspacing or Less

I have a Maximus-3 basic version tire carrier with the stock 2014 Rubicon X bumper (works with any stock bumper, many other bumpers or no bumper). It uses the same jeep subframe structure to mount its hinges as the stock tailgate hinges. It opens and closes with the tailgate. It is super stout, doesn't weigh all that much and uses the main tubing of the carrier to supplement the lug bolts in securing the wheel/tire to the carrier. If you are running wheels with 4.5" or less backspacing, make sure you inform them of that fact (and what the backspacing actually is). They have a special tire mount bracket for wheels with the backspacing described.

Edit - thought I should mention that it will hold tire/wheel up to 40"

Last edited:

Slavens

Caught the Bug
I do have their bumpers. They look good and work good however I am not a weld inspector or even inspected them that close to tell you if they are flawless or not. I bought them for the price point at the time. They had really just opened so I have first run of everything.

kfchris

I do have their bumpers. They look good and work good however I am not a weld inspector or even inspected them that close to tell you if they are flawless or not. I bought them for the price point at the time. They had really just opened so I have first run of everything.

If they held up to a few knocks then they're probably good welds. I'd ordered some things when I had the Xj that I was less than impressed with the final product of what I got, I need to just buy a welder and fab up what I want but usually time is not the premium that I have to spare!
Thanks for the input.

coopjeep

I installed the crawler Conceptz about 6 months ago with a 37 on it and love it. Easy, works great, no noise IMG_20150928_142727891_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have their bumper too? I just looked on their site and the bumper prices look too good to be true in all honesty, are the welds ok? (Understand I'm a weld inspector by trade so I always ask that and my standards are extremely high)

Look at my build thread for some weld close ups

Top Bottom