Lightweight rear tire carrier opinions? (Under Cover Fabworks?)

kyle521

What proof do you have that these are stronger than the factory ?

I mean you can just look at the hinge that comes with it, I have it, its built much better. This is the hinge I'm talking about, not the tire carrier. My hinges were very worn out when i took them off

Flynlo

Ummm, am I seeing things or is that a radiator hose I'm looking at? :thinking: :idontknow:

View attachment 183615

Indeed, it is repurposed radiator hose. I got the carrier with the kit to see how it works out, however with my wheel offset it pushed the tire out further than I had hoped. I'll probably end up putting the factory carrier back on the reinforcement brackets to close the gap. But, for the time being it's extremely solid, strong and doesn't rattle or vibrate on or off-road.

Flynlo

I mean you can just look at the hinge that comes with it, I have it, its built much better. This is the hinge I'm talking about, not the tire carrier. My hinges were very worn out when i took them off

Same, my hinges were already showing signs of rust when I took them off. The Jeep is only 2 years old. The guy who designed the new hinges (forgot his name) did his research. The new ones are greaseable and rebuildable with simple parts. That in itself is better than factory.

SDHobbs

I keep going back and forth on these -- thinking that the Crawler Concepts is the way to go for what I'm looking to do. What can I expect to pay for that unit?
Guessing they com unfinished, so how are you guys finishing them?

I bought mine my during a black friday sale, $500 shipped. It does come unfinished so another $150 for powder coating from a local shop.

kyle521

I encourage you to look at the EVOlander build... It has been running a 37" Nitto on those factory hinges for three years.
Yeah Ive seen the build, difference here is that like you said, evolander is 3ish years old, my jeep is an 07, and lives life in the northeast with the salty winters and just wore out, and actually had some good play when I took them off.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I run a full bumper/carrier, but if you want to watch your weight, I agree with most, the AEV carrier is fantastic, engineered well, holds accessories, and can be run with other bumpers. You can run OEM (weighs nothing) if you don't like the bare ass look, run the evo rear cover if you want a more tucked functional but still not bareass look, or if you're really climbing those ledges, run it loud and proud with nothing back there at all. I am not a fan on hinge replacement carriers at all. There is nothing wrong with the stock hinges.

whispike

Keep in mind that the AEV carrier holds the spare tire off center a few inches. That would bother me too much so I went with the Poison Spyder bumper and tire carrier.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yeah Ive seen the build, difference here is that like you said, evolander is 3ish years old, my jeep is an 07, and lives life in the northeast with the salty winters and just wore out, and actually had some good play when I took them off.

What the hell are we looking at ?

I

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

How is does that constitute as "weak"? Those hinges of your were almost ten years old and in a heavy salt area. I'd say they did pretty well not knowing how the Jeep was maintained, the tire size that the hinges supported, etc. Time and use have a way of breaking all things but it doesn't automatically make it weak.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I would bet a big lump some of money EVO lander has seen more abuse in its short time than yours has since 2007.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How is does that constitute as "weak"? Those hinges of your were almost ten years old and in a heavy salt area. I'd say they did pretty well not knowing how the Jeep was maintained, the tire size that the hinges supported, etc. Time and use have a way of breaking all things but it doesn't automatically make it weak.

What? You mean to tell me that a moving part can actually "wear out" with time and use? Say it isn't so :crazyeyes:

TeamFaust

I dont work for them so I am not sure on what they cost, but I am an Internet master so I went on their website and found out the carrier that mounts to the gate and body is $599

hinrichs, thanks for the snarky reply :clap2: that was hilarious :cheesy: :cheesy:... no wonder some folks often get turned off to the forum. I was simply wondering if anyone is seeing/getting any pricing better than the listed retail on them. Moving on.

I bought mine my during a black friday sale, $500 shipped. It does come unfinished so another $150 for powder coating from a local shop.

SDHobbs -- appreciate the helpful info. :thumb:

JAGS

Hooked
hinrichs, thanks for the snarky reply :clap2: that was hilarious :cheesy: :cheesy:... no wonder some folks often get turned off to the forum. I was simply wondering if anyone is seeing/getting any pricing better than the listed retail on them. Moving on.

SDHobbs -- appreciate the helpful info. :thumb:

Yeah, some people are too weak to hang with us. I thought Hinrichs comment was pretty funny.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+much+does+that+cost?

Top Bottom