Lightweight rear tire carrier opinions? (Under Cover Fabworks?)

DGP

I do have their bumpers. They look good and work good however I am not a weld inspector or even inspected them that close to tell you if they are flawless or not. I bought them for the price point at the time. They had really just opened so I have first run of everything.

That's a nice setup. Do you remember if you have to trim the cross member to mount that rear bumper. I think that might be the set up for me. Is that the skinny CC bumper?

Slavens

Caught the Bug
That's a nice setup. Do you remember if you have to trim the cross member to mount that rear bumper. I think that might be the set up for me. Is that the skinny CC bumper?

Thanks! Yes you do need to trim and yes it's the skinny rear.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Any reason you need or want a bumper?

Personally for what you want, I would go with the AEV Carrier like eddie suggested, or get the crawler carrier. If you really want light weight, the evo fascia is your best bet and the lightest on the market that will give you the best departure angle without trimming the factory cross member which I would not do. Nothing against guys who have, and I fully understand how it would be just as strong with a bumper mounted to it, but I worry insurance claims me be an issue with altering the frame like that in the even of an accident. Just my :twocents:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Have you given the AEV swing out tire carrier a look? If not, it's what I'd recommend for your needs. You DO NOT have to run it with their bumper or any bumper at all for that matter.

Can you run the AEV carrier with any bumper, or would it require some cutting? Anyone seen that done?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you run the AEV carrier with any bumper, or would it require some cutting? Anyone seen that done?

Technically speaking, yes. So long as the bumper in question doesn't already have a spindle on it and you're willing to do some cutting (being that the AEV spindle attaches to the frame), you should be able to make it work with most any bumper. Being that the OP is concerned about weight, I would just recommend not running a bumper at all.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Here's a picture of the AEV carrier minus the rear bumper in case you're thinking about going that route.

JK Jody AEV carrier.jpg

JKJody AEV tire carrier.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Looks great! What did that run you ?

This is forum member JKJody's rig. I saved this when I was thinking about going this route myself.

Can you still use the EVO D-ring mounts with this carrier?

Not without a lot of modification and welding. The bracket for the carrier goes right through the same area that the D-ring holder goes. Of course you could always just use the left side without any changes. As someone else had mentioned, the Evo crossmember cover will work with this, but will require cutting to make it work. I used to have a grainy picture as proof, but it doesn't show how much work it would require.

Would you feel comfortable putting a 40" tire on that setup? I really like how clean it is and that you open it with the tailgate.

I do believe AEV says you can carry up to a 40" on this carrier. As long as your tire's weight isn't held by the body, you should be fine.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yup, about $80 more than a complete TeraFlex tire carrier and it gets mounted to the frame, is a lot stronger, made in the USA and won't break. :yup:

Lol, when you put it that way.

Have you seen the massive brass sleeve it rotates on? It's impressive and works very smooth.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol, when you put it that way.

Have you seen the massive brass sleeve it rotates on? It's impressive and works very smooth.

:D LOL!!

I think it's a bronze bushing and yes, I have seen it. A better way to make things work than to use bearings. LoD uses bronze bushings too.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I haven't seen any aluminum bumpers with tire carriers, but was interested in the AEV after Eddie mentioned it & going to their website.

SDHobbs

I too went with the Crawler Conceptz body mounted tire carrier. I like it, I put it to the test this weekend, worked great, no rattles or noises while on the trail. Opens and closes easily.
Crawler conceptz carrier.jpg
IMG_2357.jpg

DGP

Wow a lot more to think about now. I want a rear bumper so that I have some protection from all the idiots on the road. I don't like the idea of having my frame the first thing that get hit by some little Prius. The AEV carrier looks pretty sweet. Will that work with the crawler concepts skinny rear bumper? I also need a receiver hitch so I have to consider that as well.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Wow a lot more to think about now. I want a rear bumper so that I have some protection from all the idiots on the road. I don't like the idea of having my frame the first thing that get hit by some little Prius. The AEV carrier looks pretty sweet. Will that work with the crawler concepts skinny rear bumper? I also need a receiver hitch so I have to consider that as well.

It would not work with the CC skinny rear because you cut off the rear portion of the frame that the AEV carrier attaches too.

Top Bottom