Lightweight rear tire carrier opinions? (Under Cover Fabworks?)

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Most bumpers with a hitch are not rated to tow, if thats what you plan on using it for. Well thats what I have read mostly, not sure if thats true for all the brands however.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Most bumpers with a hitch are not rated to tow, if thats what you plan on using it for. Well thats what I have read mostly, not sure if thats true for all the brands however.

They are not rated due to the liability and expense to have them certified.

That being said some bumpers I wouldn't hesitate to pull with like the Hansons. The same guy that welds those bumpers welded up a 5th wheel plate for s semi I drove across country. No worries on that guys welds..

DGP

ya I hear ya. I have a 3.8, I don't think the limiting factor for towing is my receiver hitch. I have a bike carrier and might look into getting a light tear drop trailer. I think I'll be okay with that.

TeamFaust

I keep going back and forth on these -- thinking that the Crawler Concepts is the way to go for what I'm looking to do. What can I expect to pay for that unit?
Guessing they com unfinished, so how are you guys finishing them?

Flynlo

Another lightweight option that I don't believe has been mentioned is the Moryde/Retrofit Offroad HD Tailgate Reinforcement Kit.

Less $$ than Crawler Conceptz, not as good looking as theirs, but it does the job nicely. The kit reinforces the entire tailgate and carries the weight of the tailgate and the tire on the hinges. I went baack and forth between the two for a while and settled on this because I didn't like how the CC carrier extends past the tire and protrudes toward the tailgate handle (small detail, I know). Both carries have options for add-ons (hi-lift carrier, Antenna mounts, etc.) so it was a close decision for me.
IMG_0977_zpsc9zochqr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0985_zpsjybpeyvx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DGP

Looks like a strong design but I'm curious how it keeps the tire from rattling. Doesn't look like there is much tension on the rubber tire. No problems with annoying rattles?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Another lightweight option that I don't believe has been mentioned is the Moryde/Retrofit Offroad HD Tailgate Reinforcement Kit.

Less $$ than Crawler Conceptz, not as good looking as theirs, but it does the job nicely. The kit reinforces the entire tailgate and carries the weight of the tailgate and the tire on the hinges. I went baack and forth between the two for a while and settled on this because I didn't like how the CC carrier extends past the tire and protrudes toward the tailgate handle (small detail, I know). Both carries have options for add-ons (hi-lift carrier, Antenna mounts, etc.) so it was a close decision for me.
IMG_0977_zpsc9zochqr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0985_zpsjybpeyvx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I would buy the Hanson before that ugly ass thing. Hanson has had this carrier out for almost 10 years. It's $499 so basically the same price and actually looks like it had some thought put into it. Not to mention it's been proven.

Morryde looks like it was built with an erector set.

Flynlo

I would buy the Hanson before that ugly ass thing. Hanson has had this carrier out for almost 10 years. It's $499 so basically the same price and actually looks like it had some thought put into it. Not to mention it's been proven.

Morryde looks like it was built with an erector set.

You mean this one?
Hanson%20Tire%20carrier_zps8eneszuh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It looks like it was made from a wheelbarrow frame.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I keep going back and forth on these -- thinking that the Crawler Concepts is the way to go for what I'm looking to do. What can I expect to pay for that unit?
Guessing they com unfinished, so how are you guys finishing them?

I dont work for them so I am not sure on what they cost, but I am an Internet master so I went on their website and found out the carrier that mounts to the gate and body is $599

WJCO

Meme King
It's a type of "structural" rubber, not to be confused with radiator hose rubber, despite the similarity. 
I would be scared to even put my spare on that thing.

Structural rubber...........yeah I've heard that one before........
713KH5WYaBL._SL1005_.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Seems like Hanson, AEV and crawler concept are clear choices here. Why the hell is it still being debated. ??

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The issue with this one is that they re-use the stock hinges, which are not very strong, and wear out

I encourage you to look at the EVOlander build... It has been running a 37" Nitto on those factory hinges for three years.

Top Bottom