MetalCloak Game-Change 2.5" Lift - 6-Pack Edition

Honestly, do yourself a favor and save your money. Being that you're handy with tools, this write-up should help you out.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Sorry, I guess you missed the sarcasm. Since you've bought into the clever, if not misleading marketing, there is a BIG difference between "shock travel" and "vertical travel".

That article is one of the reasons I signed up... It was very informative. I am sure its fine, I just wanted to give it to them to finish it up. I also have them doing a few other things that I just do not really want to do.. Getting too old to climb under a truck for pleasure.. Its merely a laziness issue more than anything... :)

I measured the shock travel. 16 inches compressed, and 32 inches uncompressed for the fronts, and 14/28 for the rear.

It's not a coilover system, but for a 2.5 inch lift, and the shock travel, it should be pretty mean. I'll work on seeing the max travel before wheels get off the ground, probably use a fork lift for this or something. I remember reading that there is a cool articulation trailer that goes around that allows you to measure stuff up. I'll have to see when it will be in town.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey I apologized.

Thank you sir. Please feel free to delete this thread, until I can form a better opinion based on what I've purchased.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That article is one of the reasons I signed up... It was very informative. I am sure its fine, I just wanted to give it to them to finish it up. I also have them doing a few other things that I just do not really want to do.. Getting too old to climb under a truck for pleasure.. Its merely a laziness issue more than anything... :)

I measured the shock travel. 16 inches compressed, and 32 inches uncompressed for the fronts, and 14/28 for the rear.

It's not a coilover system, but for a 2.5 inch lift, and the shock travel, it should be pretty mean. I'll work on seeing the max travel before wheels get off the ground, probably use a fork lift for this or something. I remember reading that there is a cool articulation trailer that goes around that allows you to measure stuff up. I'll have to see when it will be in town.

Thanks,

You'll forgive me but you've already posted up a photo that shows the total amount of "max travel" you are getting out your 6-Pack shocks. Allow me to demonstrate using YOUR photo.

vertical-travel.jpg

No matter how you want to do your math, you can ONLY have as much "vertical travel" as there is space between your bump stops to allow for it. And, looking at your photo, there is about the exact same amount of space between your bump stop extension and bump stop as there is shock shaft on the upper portion of your 6-pack. The rest of the shock shaft below is doing a whole lot of nothing. This isn't rocket science and I in spite of what you choose to believe, I can't make this stuff up.

That being said, I think it's cool that you did the install yourself and I think it's great that you think so highly of your lift kit. In the end, it's your money and your Jeep, I just want to make sure that others don't read what you've written and come away with it misinformed.

You'll forgive me but you've already posted up a photo that shows the total amount of "max travel" you are getting out your 6-Pack shocks. Allow me to demonstrate using YOUR photo.

View attachment 181647

No matter how you want to do your math, you can ONLY have as much "vertical travel" as there is space between your bump stops to allow for it. And, looking at your photo, there is about the exact same amount of space between your bump stop extension and bump stop as there is shock shaft on the upper portion of your 6-pack. The rest of the shock shaft below is doing a whole lot of nothing. This isn't rocket science and I in spite of what you choose to believe, I can't make this stuff up.

That being said, I think it's cool that you did the install yourself and I think it's great that you think so highly of your lift kit. In the end, it's your money and your Jeep, I just want to make sure that others don't read what you've written and come away with it misinformed.

Thanks for posting an image... However the lower side of the shock, both sides go up, and both go down.. They stay about equal.. If there is 10 inches on one side, there is 10 on the other side. I am not sure how they were able to keep them both equal length. They mention in their documents if only one side goes down, and the other stays full length, or they are unequal, that you need to get them serviced. They provide a service for them for 75 dollars, damaged or not.

But the stock travel, both sides are equal at all times. From my garage testing of course.

I understand what your saying. I do not believe anything that i've said has been misleading, wrong, or incorrect. I do not believe I said vertical travel, I may have said shock travel, or travel, but never said vertical travel. I am also building this to not be super high, but to have a lot of down travel. Not so much up travel. I do have to remove 3 inches for the bump stops, but my main concern is just the tires being able to articulate as much as possible, which I believe this kit will allow with the longer travel shocks.

I in no way think that this is the bomb, or the best, or anything else. I merely wrote this, and took pictures on the things that I got stumped on, and how I moved forward with them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Again, I apologize for my statements, albeit false, or plausable, or true.

Thanks,

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting an image... However the lower side of the shock, both sides go up, and both go down.. They stay about equal.. If there is 10 inches on one side, there is 10 on the other side. I am not sure how they were able to keep them both equal length. They mention in their documents if only one side goes down, and the other stays full length, or they are unequal, that you need to get them serviced. They provide a service for them for 75 dollars, damaged or not.

But the stock travel, both sides are equal at all times. From my garage testing of course.

I understand what your saying. I do not believe anything that i've said has been misleading, wrong, or incorrect. I do not believe I said vertical travel, I may have said shock travel, or travel, but never said vertical travel. I am also building this to not be super high, but to have a lot of down travel. Not so much up travel. I do have to remove 3 inches for the bump stops, but my main concern is just the tires being able to articulate as much as possible, which I believe this kit will allow with the longer travel shocks.

I in no way think that this is the bomb, or the best, or anything else. I merely wrote this, and took pictures on the things that I got stumped on, and how I moved forward with them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Again, I apologize for my statements, albeit false, or plausable, or true.

Thanks,

I understand that both sides of the shocks slide in and out of the shock body but do YOU understand that it doesn't make a difference? In the end, the only thing that matters is the total amount of space you have between your bump stop and the axle - that will be the TOTAL amount of how much travel you ultimately have.

I can't speak for anyone else but again, my only purpose for posting up on this thread is to help inform OTHERS who might be interested in buying this kit and by correcting your misleading information. I'm not suggesting that you did it on purpose but left unchecked, others might take it as being factual.

Jeepnoub

It's funny how before I learned about the 6 pack shock, I was thinking of ways you could get more travel. Considering shocks are related travel. My bright theory was bolting 2 short shocks together. My next thoughts were, no way that would be a good idea.

Then comes wayalife.com to confirm all my thoughts as to why. It's just looks like a confused shock, half the time it's rebounding the other half it's compressing. How can you get a consistent ride.

I understand that both sides of the shocks slide in and out of the shock body but do YOU understand that it doesn't make a difference? In the end, the only thing that matters is the total amount of space you have between your bump stop and the axle - that will be the TOTAL amount of how much travel you ultimately have.

I can't speak for anyone else but again, my only purpose for posting up on this thread is to help inform OTHERS who might be interested in buying this kit and by correcting your misleading information. I'm not suggesting that you did it on purpose but left unchecked, others might take it as being factual.

Correct, The total amount of travel is between my bump stop and the axle. I agree 100%. I was only speaking for the shock travel. I also liked how the springs stayed tight in the upper carrier even tho I was at full down travel.

But again, my opinions are my own, if you show me where I make a mistake, I can go back and fix it. But I am not seeing it.

Thanks Eddie.

Last edited:
It's funny how before I learned about the 6 pack shock, I was thinking of ways you could get more travel. Considering shocks are related travel. My bright theory was bolting 2 short shocks together. My next thoughts were, no way that would be a good idea.

Then comes wayalife.com to confirm all my thoughts as to why. It's just looks like a confused shock, half the time it's rebounding the other half it's compressing. How can you get a consistent ride.

I think the cylinders are linked together, and if one side goes down the other side has to go down... It is a bit of an odd design, but no risk, no reward. They are different, and unique, and if they work as intended I think they could be pretty cool.

129_1205_01%2Bsix_pack%2Bmetalcloak_six_pack_shock _exploded_view

I'm unsure, as soon as I get it on a trail, should be Evan's Creek, Tahuya, or Elbe. I will give a much more informed opinion on what I like and do not like about them.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Jeepnoub

I think the cylinders are linked together, and if one side goes down the other side has to go down... It is a bit of an odd design, but no risk, no reward. They are different, and unique, and if they work as intended I think they could be pretty cool.

129_1205_01%2Bsix_pack%2Bmetalcloak_six_pack_shock_exploded_view

I'm unsure, as soon as I get it on a trail, should be Evan's Creek, Tahuya, or Elbe. I will give a much more informed opinion on what I like and do not like about them.

Thanks,

I agree with you about them being unique and willing to push the envelope. That's something I can definitely appreciate. Without companies like that then everyone would run just one brand, making everything very vanilla.

Having a if it's not broke don't fix it mentality, coilovers seem like money better placed.

That's just me. I do look forward to your impression on these. Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

129_1205_01%2Bsix_pack%2Bmetalcloak_six_pack_shock_exploded_view

Thanks,

A much more informed opinion? You mean a bias uninformed opinion, correct?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Correct, The total amount of travel is between my bump stop and the axle. I agree 100%. I was only speaking for the shock travel. I also liked how the springs stayed tight in the upper carrier even tho I was at full down travel.

But again, my opinions are my own, if you show me where I make a mistake, I can go back and fix it. But I am not seeing it.

Thanks Eddie.

LOL!! But my point is that "shock travel" doesn't mean squat. You can have a shock with 30" of travel but if total amount of "vertical travel" you have is only 10", that's all you'll have to work with. Talking about "shock travel" like it somehow means something is ignorantly irrelevant at best and purposefully misleading at worst. This isn't an issue about "opinions", this is an issue about "FACTS".

LOL!! But my point is that "shock travel" doesn't mean squat. You can have a shock with 30" of travel but if total amount of "vertical travel" you have is only 10", that's all you'll have to work with. Talking about "shock travel" like it somehow means something is ignorantly irrelevant at best and purposefully misleading at worst. This isn't an issue about "opinions", this is an issue what is a "FACT".

Shock travel may not mean anything... If you have a shock that only extends 20 inches uncompressed, versus something that can travel 32 inches uncompressed, it can extend the amount of downward travel. Is this false? Or does this not matter at all?

Thanks,

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Of course sir! :) Very biased... I am sure anything that I would have picked up would have had more travel than my 4runner.

To be honest with you this is my first American car... Eh, I take that bad, My wife when we got married had a Sable, before I sold it, and bought her the Lexus IS300.

I am honestly just a moron who wanted to go out and have a little bit of fun on a few trails like I had with my 4runner. I have a lot to learn if I am going to keep this Jeep..

I've also got a REALLY small penis.... my wife says its cute... smaller than your pinky... micro penis small....

Now can we move on and stop attacking each other? I'd rather gain information instead of this... Lets learn, live, and thrive.

(heart)

At least you've admitted all your problems.

Hot94Z28

Of course sir! :) Very biased... I am sure anything that I would have picked up would have had more travel than my 4runner.

To be honest with you this is my first American car... Eh, I take that bad, My wife when we got married had a Sable, before I sold it, and bought her the Lexus IS300.

I am honestly just a moron who wanted to go out and have a little bit of fun on a few trails like I had with my 4runner. I have a lot to learn if I am going to keep this Jeep..

I've also got a REALLY small penis.... my wife says its cute... smaller than your pinky... micro penis small....

Now can we move on and stop attacking each other? I'd rather gain information instead of this... Lets learn, live, and thrive.

(heart)

Well it has been cold, and there is shrinkage.

Top Bottom