MetalCloak Game-Change 2.5" Lift - 6-Pack Edition

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Shock travel may not mean anything... If you have a shock that only extends 20 inches uncompressed, versus something that can travel 32 inches uncompressed, it can extend the amount of downward travel. Is this false? Or does this not matter at all?

Thanks,

:cheesy: LOL!! Is it safe to assume that English isn't your first language? Allow me to try this again and a bit more slowly...

IT DOESN'T MATTER

HOW MUCH DOWNWARD TRAVEL

YOUR SHOCK HAS

YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE LIMITED

TO THE AMOUNT OF VERTICAL TRAVEL

YOUR JEEP HAS.

So you know, I run 8" coil over shocks on the back of my JK's and yet, I'm able to get 14" of true vertical travel. How in the hell is that possible? Likewise, I run 12" coil overs up front that also provide 14" of true vertical travel - I used to run 14" coil overs but could only do that with limiting straps - why would they be necessary?

You're obsessing over clever marketing that you've been sold on instead of trying to understand why things work the way they do. :yup:

LOL!! Is it safe to assume that English isn't your first language? Allow me to try this again and a bit more slowly...

IT DOESN'T MATTER

HOW MUCH DOWNWARD TRAVEL

YOUR SHOCK HAS

YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE LIMITED

TO THE AMOUNT OF VERTICAL TRAVEL

YOUR JEEP HAS.

So you know, I run 8" coil over shocks on the back of my JK's and yet, I'm able to get 14" of true vertical travel. How in the hell is that possible? Likewise, I run 12" coil overs up front that also provide 14" of true vertical travel - I used to run 14" coil overs but could only do that with limiting straps - why would they be necessary?

You're obsessing over clever marketing that you've been sold on instead of trying to understand why things work the way they do.

WHOA... Way too fast... slow it down just a little more for me please!

Now just to be clear.... I've already admitted to being a moron with a small penis.... So me asking questions to understand what your talking about, because you keep talking about vertical travel, and when I say downward travel, you say it doesn't matter...

I am playing this out in my very very moronic, idiotic brain. Vertical movement is up and down motion... versus horizontal movement. (which my stoopid stoopid brain things is more of a left or right movement, or forward, or backwards movement).. Am I wrong here?

You jeep saying down travel doesn't matter, but that is a vertical movement, just like up travel would be a vertical movement.. Up travel would be the amount of travel you can achieve before hitting your bump stops. Where down travel would be limited by how much your shocks could travel down.. Shocks are usually your limiting factor. Am I wrong here?

I don't know if my vibe here, is coming off like a complete asshole or not, But I am truly trying to understand here, which is why I am asking questions. One thing I hate about these forums, and emails and stuff is you do not get the human touch, expression, etc etc in them.

I do not think your wrong, I think a lot of conflicts only happen because of miscommunication, whether that be listening, reading, or speaking/writing.

I appreciate it sir. If you want me to just leave this forum, that is fine... I have no problem leaving... I am not trying to be a trouble maker here, but I feel like a lot of you guys are trying to chase me away... Maybe because I don't know the super secret jeep handshake... I noticed this when I use to wheel with some of the jeep guys when I had my 4runner.. I am fairly sure I only got invited because my brother had a TJ. Was told to go home a few times before we even got started, before I even opened my mouth... At the end of the trail, we all hugged tho... Give me the world and I'll leave...

Thanks,

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The problem is the longest shocks in the world won't help you out if you are limited by things like brake lines, ABS sensor lines, sway bar links, and driveshaft joints. It isn't as simple as bolting on a set of shocks that are too long for your vehicles suspension, and binding control arms/poor suspension geometry.

And no one is asking you to leave the forum. Why do you keep saying that? People are trying to explain how you bought into what is more marketing than actually functional. Basically the Tornado of offroad shocks. probably would make a great commercial, but not really perform to the advertised standards once installed on your vehicle.

Last edited:
The problem is the longest shocks in the world won't help you out if you are limited by things like brake lines, ABS sensor lines, sway bar links, and driveshaft joints. It isn't as simple as bolting on a set of shocks that are too long for your vehicles suspension.

Yeah, I noticed that when I was working with these. at full downward travel, I had to modify my brake lines, and my ABS wires. I understand there is a limit.

I guess I wouldn't really say the downware travel of the shock, but of the axle itself. I think thats a better way to describe it.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Now just to be clear.... I've already admitted to being a moron with a small penis.... So me asking questions to understand what your talking about, because you keep talking about vertical travel, and when I say downward travel, you say it doesn't matter...

I am playing this out in my very very moronic, idiotic brain. Vertical movement is up and down motion... versus horizontal movement. (which my stoopid stoopid brain things is more of a left or right movement, or forward, or backwards movement).. Am I wrong here?

You jeep saying down travel doesn't matter, but that is a vertical movement, just like up travel would be a vertical movement.. Up travel would be the amount of travel you can achieve before hitting your bump stops. Where down travel would be limited by how much your shocks could travel down.. Shocks are usually your limiting factor. Am I wrong here?

I don't know if my vibe here, is coming off like a complete asshole or not, But I am truly trying to understand here, which is why I am asking questions. One thing I hate about these forums, and emails and stuff is you do not get the human touch, expression, etc etc in them.

I do not think your wrong, I think a lot of conflicts only happen because of miscommunication, whether that be listening, reading, or speaking/writing.

I appreciate it sir. If you want me to just leave this forum, that is fine... I have no problem leaving... I am not trying to be a trouble maker here, but I feel like a lot of you guys are trying to chase me away... Maybe because I don't know the super secret jeep handshake... I noticed this when I use to wheel with some of the jeep guys when I had my 4runner.. I am fairly sure I only got invited because my brother had a TJ. Was told to go home a few times before we even got started, before I even opened my mouth... At the end of the trail, we all hugged tho... Give me the world and I'll leave...

Thanks,

Ok this has gone long enough. You are a fucking retard.

Hot94Z28

Thanks,

This has not been used in awhile
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452465610.611914.jpg

And no one is asking you to leave the forum. Why do you keep saying that? People are trying to explain how you bought into what is more marketing than actually functional. Basically the Tornado of offroad shocks. probably would make a great commercial, but not really perform to the advertised standards once installed on your vehicle.

What Eddie was saying is it was all marketing, because the lower end of the shock doesn't do anything, but thats not what I've seen. I've seen the opposite. Then with his latest kick in the pants after trying to understand where he is coming from so I can understand it... I'm an mechanical/engineering guy... For me to understand something I almost have to visualize it... or understand it..

"Dont touch that".

"Why?"

"Because I said so.."

I'm going to touch it... That's just how my brain works... I barely passed school, and had to teach myself a lot more depth because of that... Hell, I know how HVAC systems work, rebuilt several 400+ HP motors, transmissions, etc etc. I've screwed up some too.. I dont know. I like learning... Life... I learn every single day... anything and everything... I LOVE IT.... History, mechanics, engineering, electronics, science, etc etc.

I feel like everybody is getting frustrated because I am asking questions so I can understand.

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

What Eddie was saying is it was all marketing, because the lower end of the shock doesn't do anything, but thats not what I've seen. I've seen the opposite. Then with his latest kick in the pants after trying to understand where he is coming from so I can understand it... I'm an mechanical/engineering guy... For me to understand something I almost have to visualize it... or understand it..

"Dont touch that".

"Why?"

"Because I said so.."

I'm going to touch it... That's just how my brain works... I barely passed school, and had to teach myself a lot more depth because of that... Hell, I know how HVAC systems work, rebuilt several 400+ HP motors, transmissions, etc etc. I've screwed up some too.. I dont know. I like learning... Life... I learn every single day... anything and everything... I LOVE IT.... History, mechanics, engineering, electronics, science, etc etc.

I feel like everybody is getting frustrated because I am asking questions so I can understand.

No everyone is starting to get frustrated with you acting a fool referring to your small manhood, then your moronic brain instead of just having a discussion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What Eddie was saying is it was all marketing...

Metal Cloak is a NEW company and "marketing" IS the only thing they've had to lean on in order to sell their stuff. Now, I would be the first to say that they are REALLY GOOD at it and a lot of other companies could learn a thing or two from them BUT, good marketing doesn't always mean good information.

...because the lower end of the shock doesn't do anything

Hang on partner, I NEVER SAID THAT and clearly, you're not understanding a thing that I've been saying. The "lower" end of your shock has nothing to do with anything. All I did was take your photo and SHOWED you how much TOTAL shock shaft was showing on your magical 6-pack shocks and was pointing out how much or should I say, how little was actually used when compared to the total amount of VERTICAL TRAVEL you have. Please note that VERTICAL TRAVEL is the amount travel UP AND DOWN your axle has.

...but thats not what I've seen. I've seen the opposite.

That's because you're only choosing to see what you want to see. The fact of the matter is, your photograph SHOWS exactly how much down travel your axle has. It also SHOWS how much your axle can travel UPWARDS. That is ALL the space you have to work with REGARDLESS of how much your shocks "can" compress and extend.

I'm an mechanical/engineering guy...

:cheesy: LOL!! Well, that explains everything to me :crazyeyes:

Sorry pal, nobody I know is frustrated here and it's not your questions that's the problem, it's the fact that you're too busy trying to make a point rather than actually LISTENING to what some of us are saying.

I would never post about my penis size on a jeep forum ... I let my jeep do the talking lol

Its all moot. Everybody seems to have a large large penis here, or they are a bunch of children.. Lets put our penises down, and lets chat...

I am fairly new to the whole Jeep scene... My last rig was the 1995 4Runner.. That thing was a blast, but mean it had problems with the IFS. The front suspension was so stiff. So this is the first time that I've bought with a solid axle.

Would have been cool to be a part of the community, and scene. But it is what it is. :)

Thanks,

Metal Cloak is a NEW company and "marketing" IS the only thing they've had to lean on in order to sell their stuff. Now, I would be the first to say that they are REALLY GOOD at it and a lot of other companies could learn a thing or two from them. BUT, good marketing doesn't always mean good information.

I agree, Marketing doesn't mean anything. You can have a shitty product, and good marketing, and make millions. I agree with you.

Hang on partner, I NEVER SAID THAT and clearly, you're not understanding a thing that I've been saying. The "lower" end of your shock has nothing to do with anything. All I did was take your photo and SHOWED you how much TOTAL shock shaft was showing on your magical 6-pack shocks and was pointing out how much or should I say, how little was actually used when compared to the total amount of VERTICAL TRAVEL you have. Please note that VERTICAL TRAVEL is the amount travel UP AND DOWN travel your axle has.

I thought with the image you created you showed the lower end of the shock, and said it didn't do anything. None the less, I agree with you, Shock doesn't have a whole lot to do with actual vertical tavel. If your shock does not reach its limits.

That's because you're only choosing to see what you want to see. The fact of the matter is, your photograph SHOWS exactly how much down travel your axle has. It also SHOWS how much your axle can travel UPWARDS. That is ALL the space you have to work with REGARDLESS of how much your shocks "can" compress and extend.

Correct.

:cheesy: LOL!! Well, that explains everything to me :crazyeyes:

LOL.. Outstanding!

Sorry pal, nobody I know is frustrated here and it's not your questions that's the problem, it's the fact that you're too busy trying to make a point rather than actually LISTENING to what some of us are saying.

I don't make points without facts or reason. I may have asked some questions, to get to a point. There is obviously something here, so if I can absorb that, then I will feel comfortable making a point.

Top Bottom