Mopar spicer Dana 60

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The crazy thing about all this is that most of the guys I know who feel the need to run a 60 or bigger are also the same guys who play hard enough to break them. We've been there and know plenty of other guys who have as well. Guys like Randy from the JKX videos used to run Currie RockJock 60's and finally replaced it with a ProRock 80 after he kept on breaking it and Currie would no longer warranty it. Even if Dynatrac weren't a personal friend of mine, I would still buy their axles if only because they STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS and always put their customers first. Of course, the best warranty you can have is the one you never have to call on and my Dynatrac axles have been that for me. They really do give me "the CONFIDENCE to Explore" and when I'm out 100 miles from the nearest pavement, I know that the last thing I need to worry about are my axles.

But, that's just me. :yup:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
The crazy thing about all this is that most of the guys I know who feel the need to run a 60 or bigger are also the same guys who play hard enough to break them. We've been there and know plenty of other guys who have as well. Guys like Randy from the JKX videos used to run Currie RockJock 60's and finally replaced it with a ProRock 80 after he kept on breaking it and Currie would no longer warranty it. Even if Dynatrac weren't a personal friend of mine, I would still buy their axles if only because they STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS and always put their customers first. Of course, the best warranty you can have is the one you never have to call on and my Dynatrac axles have been that for me. They really do give me "the CONFIDENCE to Explore" and when I'm out 100 miles from the nearest pavement, I know that the last thing I need to worry about are my axles.

But, that's just me. :yup:

Yes, I totally agree with what your saying. When I buy new axels they will be the dynatracs. What I do like to see is mopar making the investment to come out with these axels. Maybe they will offer them as an option on a new jeep or maybe it's a sign when the 2017 comes out it will still have solid axels. "I hope".

LtCoyote

Really? You're still here?? Guess you aren't much of a man of your word. :naw:

"Customer"? What's up with that? :thinking
Edited: I'm not posting anything else on this thread that doesn't have nothing to do with the OP. I hate digging through meaningless comments to get information I am searching for. Guilty of screwing this one up.

Like I said before, only what the OP concerns.

"customer pic"! Are you a dealer? Busted!?!....

I'm clarifying that it isn't a doctored up picture from Mopar/Spicer. Again, I'm not a dealer and I would love to have a PR60/80 under my rig. Can't afford the difference in cost and the cost of shipping to Alaska is FUBAR!

Per request, here is a pic.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Wardell

Even worse, I wouldn't doubt that in spite of the Jeep logo, this axle will VOID your Jeep's warranty. :crazyeyes:

Hang on a minute... I hate to contradict you but that sounds a bit misleading. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal in the US for a company to void their warranty simply because you've installed any aftermarket parts. All they are allowed to do under the act is deny a claim against the warranty if any of your aftermarket parts are the cause of damage to factory parts. It may sound like semantics, but it's an important distinction.

A good example that was mentioned on here a few times was someone that had a poorly installed aftermarket CAI from Mopar that allowed dirt to enter the engine and ruin it. The repairs to the engine were denied under warranty because if it weren't for the CAI, the damage wouldn't have happened.

I haven't heard of a similar situation with an axle, but I'm sure it is possible. Anyone have examples or experience for this kind of thing? I think that's an important discussion in and of itself, because it applies to these axles the same as Dynatrac's or anyone else's. The only situation I can think of is they might try to deny repairs to the transmission or transfer case due to extra wear and tear caused by other drivetrain components being beefed up, but that would be a really flimsy argument. Even if they tried something like this, they would have to prove that your axles are the cause if you decided to fight them in court, and unless the parts failed way before their engineered life expectancy I don't think they would have much of a case. At worst, they would flag the vehicle in their system which would cause them to highly scrutinize any warranty claim you make (effectively letting them give you a run around), but unless they can decisively point to your axle as the cause they'd still have to cover the cost.

Honestly, you guys in the US are pretty lucky to have a Federal law like that. Up here in Canada our consumer protection laws for warranties vary by province / territory and don't tend to be as strong.

All that asside, Dynatrac brings up a very good point that they give a warranty on their axles while Spicer doesn't. That in itself could save you the cost of a second axle - and two Spicer axles would cost more than one from Dynatrac.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'm another that was hoping for these to maybe be a viable option to run with 40s. Seeing these pics, to me they kind of look like rattle canned axles somebody pulled from a truck and slapped a tough diff cover on along with some Warn hubs. They don't look all that great for a brand new axle. Welding slag, bad rattle can paint job, poor looking plug welds. At least the brackets look tougher than jk d44 brackets. At nearly half the cost of Dynatracs I was hoping for these to be a decent alternative, but with no ARB option, and from what I've seen in pics, I may start saving for dynatrac PR60s.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I totally agree with what your saying. When I buy new axels they will be the dynatracs. What I do like to see is mopar making the investment to come out with these axels. Maybe they will offer them as an option on a new jeep or maybe it's a sign when the 2017 comes out it will still have solid axels. "I hope".

Anything is possible and it was a surprise when the Rubicons were released with a Dana 44 front axle back in the day. If these were to be offered on a new Jeep, I have no doubt that people would pay the extra money to drive off the lot with them underneath. They would be a big improvement and would limit the need for an upgraded axle to just the people who "really" play hard.

Like I said before, only what the OP concerns.

Well, you had better answer MY question of what you meant by "customer" or else you will be spending more of your time on your other forum. :yup:

Hang on a minute... I hate to contradict you but that sounds a bit misleading. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal in the US for a company to void their warranty simply because you've installed any aftermarket parts. All they are allowed to do under the act is deny a claim against the warranty if any of your aftermarket parts are the cause of damage to factory parts. It may sound like semantics, but it's an important distinction.

A good example that was mentioned on here a few times was someone that had a poorly installed aftermarket CAI from Mopar that allowed dirt to enter the engine and ruin it. The repairs to the engine were denied under warranty because if it weren't for the CAI, the damage wouldn't have happened.

I haven't heard of a similar situation with an axle, but I'm sure it is possible. Anyone have examples or experience for this kind of thing? I think that's an important discussion in and of itself, because it applies to these axles the same as Dynatrac's or anyone else's. The only situation I can think of is they might try to deny repairs to the transmission or transfer case due to extra wear and tear caused by other drivetrain components being beefed up, but that would be a really flimsy argument. Even if they tried something like this, they would have to prove that your axles are the cause if you decided to fight them in court, and unless the parts failed way before their engineered life expectancy I don't think they would have much of a case. At worst, they would flag the vehicle in their system which would cause them to highly scrutinize any warranty claim you make (effectively letting them give you a run around), but unless they can decisively point to your axle as the cause they'd still have to cover the cost.

Honestly, you guys in the US are pretty lucky to have a Federal law like that. Up here in Canada our consumer protection laws for warranties vary by province / territory and don't tend to be as strong.

:cheesy: Clearly, you have never had your Jeep flagged or warranty denied before. In a perfect world, you'd be absolutely right in all that you said but the reality is, your dealership has you by the balls and can flag your Jeep for anything they want and that effectively voids your warranty ANYWHERE you go. Ask me how I know? Having said that, you can dispute it but it'll take nothing short of fight tooth and nail for months on end and knowing who to contact to maybe get the flag removed. Again, ask me how I know?

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...WILL-VOID-Your-Warranty-if-You-Lift-Your-Jeep

All that asside, Dynatrac brings up a very good point that they give a warranty on their axles while Spicer doesn't. That in itself could save you the cost of a second axle - and two Spicer axles would cost more than one from Dynatrac.

And not having a company ready to stand behind their axle would be my biggest concern.

LtCoyote

Well, you had better answer MY question of what you meant by "customer" or else you will be spending more of your time on your other forum. :yup:

I already answered your question (see below quote) and I have given you the respect of not putting in a link to other Forums on here which BTW I have no connection too other than viewing and posting. I have just provided pictures that were requested by wayalife members. I'm not understanding your "threat" of kicking me off your forum. I thought we got past that. If you got issues with what I am doing, let me know what they are.

I'm clarifying that it isn't a doctored up picture from Mopar/Spicer. Again, I'm not a dealer and I would love to have a PR60/80 under my rig. Can't afford the difference in cost and the cost of shipping to Alaska is FUBAR!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I already answered your question (see below quote) and I have given you the respect of not putting in a link to other Forums on here which BTW I have no connection too other than viewing and posting. I have just provided pictures that were requested by wayalife members. I'm not understanding your "threat" of kicking me off your forum. I thought we got past that. If you got issues with what I am doing, let me know what they are.

Sorry, I was on my phone and missed that part. Just didn't understand what you meant by "customer". If you were a vendor, you wouldn't be allowed on here.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Yep, Mag-Moss is a starting place. What the dealer does in terms of flagging is a whole other issue. Eddie is spot on, without a company like Dynatrac to cover the axle you would really be hosed.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The Moss act is in your favor, but only in actual court. You would still need to get an attorney, and start a tooth and nail fight. Yes, you have a good chance of winning, but you still need to have your pants around your ankles for a little while....dealers/car makers rely on the odds....the odds that the consumer won't seek legal avenues.

Wardell

OK. I read through the thread Eddie reposted here from his old forum, and I have to admit I hadn't imagined a horror story like that. It really does sound like they're banking on it not being worth your time or money to push to have something done under warranty - and the worst part is that in most situations they're probably right.

mastrcruse

Not to start another war in this thread...just thought I'd add a little. Take it for what it is, called 3 dealership in the DFW including onsite visit to Grapevine Jeep and Allen Samuels. There are 20-30 of each front and rear avialable. The 2 I visited said the axles come with a 2 year/24k mile warranty. Just to be clear, I don't have this in writing. The 3rd didn't have a clue what I was talking about so we ended the conversation there. The availability numbers were for the 4.88 F/R only.

MSRP shared at both dealerships were $7k for the front, $4k for the rear. They had no other information to share other than the brochures everyone probably has seen.

To be clear, after help from the forum, I'll be investing into a pr44 but thought I'd post what I learned last weekend.

trailraider

NO PARTS WARRANTY – “AS IS”
Mopar Performance parts beginning with a “P” prefix are sold “as is” unless otherwise noted. This means that
parts sold by Mopar Performance carry no warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, such as warranties of merchantability,
are excluded. (An implied warranty of merchantability means that the part is reasonably fit for the
general purpose for which it was sold). The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the
buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor
or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Chrysler, Jeep® , Dodge and Ram vehicle
and parts warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition. The addition of performance parts
does not by itself void a vehicle’s warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on
the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle’s warranty, and any failure that they may cause is also
not covered by the vehicle’s warranty.

here is the warranty disclaimer from the mopar performance cataloge. it does state it wont affect the vehicle warranty.
pretty poor representaion of product quality tho.

bkac

Caught the Bug
From the Spicer rep, for whatever it's worth...

Hi Bobby, I just found out that we cover material and workmanship, contact us for review of issues.

CRZRTX

I just ordered front and rear for $10,400 shipped

I have about 7000 miles on my Spicer UD60s front and rear. Been to Moab, hit tough trails, been to off road parks in Texas, etc., goes 90 MPH down the highway, no problems. Hitting the Rubicon Trail next month. I think they are bad ass, but I know others will prefer the choices Dynatrac offers. Dynatrac is a great brand but comparable Dynatracs are about $5000 more.

The brakes are off of a Ram 3500 and 17" slabs are too tight. I suggest 18" slabs.

I installed them myself with the help of a couple of friends. Everything bolts up nicely. New drive shafts are obviously needed. The ebrakes are tight, but optional part numbers for longer lines are listed in the literature, as well as an upgraded master brake cylinder. I am running stock JKU ebrake cables and master brake and they work fine, but the suggested ones would probably work better.

Good luck with yours. I love mine.

Top Bottom