Moving to PA

jeeeep

Hooked
Ugh is that ever true. I know you guys have issues with the BLM out there but at least the damn land is accessible. Over here the states/timber/gas companies have all of the property tied up in leases and No Trespassing signs. Its a damn shame because we have the topography in the middle of the state that would lend itself to some outstanding trails. Instead its all off limits :grayno:

Edit: if they would just allow access to the already existing logging and gas well access roads this state would be an awesome place to wheel. I've been on a couple gas well roads that ran alongside a mountain last year and let me tell you, They rivaled a lot of the shelf roads I was on in Moab for hairyness! :eek: Very frustrating place to live in.

Is most the land there privatized?

i was thinking of going to PA for some fall color photography...but if you're saying even the logging roads are off limits then ... :thinking:

Ddays

Hooked
This can be hit or miss honestly. I personally have never has any issues either with inspections or the police. Now I have to admit I'm friends with the guy that had done my inspections for 30 years so its kind of a wink and nod deal there. But as far as the polioce they usually are really cool. There are a ton of Jeeps over here with tires out past the fenders. Pickups too. LOL, Hinrich stuck stock wheels on his Jeep and attached a 6' flexible exhaust to his crawler system to pass & then put all th good parts back on when it was done.

Edit: This post was directed to Seansheds regarding Pa's stupid inspections

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Is most the land there privatized?

i was thinking of going to PA for some fall color photography...but if you're saying even the logging roads are off limits then ... :thinking:

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of scenic dirt roads all throughout the state but most of them are accessible with vehicles like my Durango. But to be able to turn left off an interstate highway and make another turn and head off into the wilderness for 50 miles, well no, we don't have that kind of accessibility.

As far as it being privatized, I honestly do not know who owns most of these areas. I do know when I drive 4 hours from my house to Rausch Creek I drive through a shitload of unused wilderness/mountains, whatever you want to call it, that is totally untapped. Its a shame really.

longarmwj

PA sucks, I hate it here, inspections are bullshit :mad: along with our stupid fender laws

Ahh good old fender laws. A friend of mine is a Pipeline Surveyor and his next job is in PA. He has to change 90% of the exterior mods on his Jeep to be compliant with PA law before he goes up there :doh:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
*knock on wood* I have never actually had a problem with my tires, unlike Nick who had a cop who hated him, and Steve I think one time had a warning.

Its the inspection time which becomes a nightmare. You would think after 15+ years and god knows how many inspections I would learn to leave things along....yet as time goes on I make it even worse for myself :crazyeyes:

jesse3638

Hooked
Ugh is that ever true. I know you guys have issues with the BLM out there but at least the damn land is accessible. Over here the states/timber/gas companies have all of the property tied up in leases and No Trespassing signs. Its a damn shame because we have the topography in the middle of the state that would lend itself to some outstanding trails. Instead its all off limits :grayno:

Edit: if they would just allow access to the already existing logging and gas well access roads this state would be an awesome place to wheel. I've been on a couple gas well roads that ran alongside a mountain last year and let me tell you, They rivaled a lot of the shelf roads I was on in Moab for hairyness! :eek: Very frustrating place to live in.

Hey I resemble that remark...:crazyeyes:. Were not all so bad. Just the rangers (wanna be real cops) in El Centro that are the dickheads. Everything gets tied up in litigation here in CA so things move at a snails pace to make things happen. I'm surprised the 29 palms expansion happened so fast.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Been pulled over once for my tires sticking out but never received a ticket. As for inspections I have never had an issue as knuckles sits either.

Sorry to derail the thread but since it's a bunch of PA guys I need some input.

So I'm from PA and moved to Cali for work back in 2012. My wife has been pushing to move back east, but now that I got a Jeep this year you know I'm gonna delay that as long as possible. The wheeling is just too good out here!

Anyway, how is it for you guys with tires sticking out past your fenders? Back in the day I got a ticket at the Carlisle truck show [emoji19] and I've heard nothing has changed. Then there's the annual inspection to deal with.

I have tentative plans to upgrade to full width Dynatrac 60's, but i could see those being an even bigger issue. The other option is I move to a more friendly state like NY or south of PA.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Look into Delaware. They are super easy on mods. Plus it's still super close to philly and not to far from the parks

Ddays

Hooked
Hey I resemble that remark...:crazyeyes:. Were not all so bad. Just the rangers (wanna be real cops) in El Centro that are the dickheads. Everything gets tied up in litigation here in CA so things move at a snails pace to make things happen. I'm surprised the 29 palms expansion happened so fast.

Haha, I didn't mean it is a really bad way, just that you have some dustups over trails closing or areas being closed off, etc. Funny, I used to read Dirt Bike back when I'm was a pup and the editor at the time was Rick Siemens, aka Super Hunky, and he railed almost every month about the BLM. 40 years later and its still the same. Point being you still have access to almost unlimited land usage compared to us back East where you can't even camp overnite in a lot of the State Parks - they close at dusk :grayno:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Haha, I didn't mean it is a really bad way, just that you have some dustups over trails closing or areas being closed off, etc. Funny, I used to read Dirt Bike back when I'm was a pup and the editor at the time was Rick Siemens, aka Super Hunky, and he railed almost every month about the BLM. 40 years later and its still the same. Point being you still have access to almost unlimited land usage compared to us back East where you can't even camp overnite in a lot of the State Parks - they close at dusk :grayno:

Wow, I don't know anyone anymore that remembers Super Hunky, his rants were my favorite part of that magazine, oh and the Danny Chandler crash photos. What about Jody's box, remember that one?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Ahh good old fender laws. A friend of mine is a Pipeline Surveyor and his next job is in PA. He has to change 90% of the exterior mods on his Jeep to be compliant with PA law before he goes up there :doh:

I gotta throw the caution flag on that. Really, I think the severity of the enforcement here in Pa gets way overblown. At least over here is Western pa. I mean I don't want to photo bomb this thread, but as my Jeep sits I have never ever had an issue, be it in downtown Pittsburgh or out in the boonies where I live

Ddays

Hooked
Wow, I don't know anyone anymore that remembers Super Hunky, his rants were my favorite part of that magazine, oh and the Danny Chandler crash photos. What about Jody's box, remember that one?

Haha, I sure do! LOL, Magoo's wrecks were legendary :cheesy: Marty Tripes on his Honda & Jammin Jimmy Weinert on his Kawasaki were my favorites back then. Now I gotta do & see if I can find antsy of th sold copies I saved from then :D

That actually brings up another point. Back in the 70's and into the 80's there were a shitload of places to ride and even to wheel. Now? Hah, good luck. Hell there were 3 motocross tracks local to me but all of them shut down in the 90's.

Rostr02

I gotta throw the caution flag on that. Really, I think the severity of the enforcement here in Pa gets way overblown. At least over here is Western pa. I mean I don't want to photo bomb this thread, but as my Jeep sits I have never ever had an issue, be it in downtown Pittsburgh or out in the boonies where I live

I got pulled over in mt Lebanon for 1 in beyond my fender. He was not even following me to see it. I drove past as he was sitting in a parking lot. He turned his lights on before he even pulled out.

Some places here are better than others

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I lived in the DFW mid cities area for 20 years and we had 2 nearby: Ross Downs and another one a little south I can't remember the name. Ut it was in the magazines regularly, i do believe both are gone now.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Haha, I sure do! LOL, Magoo's wrecks were legendary :cheesy: Marty Tripes on his Honda & Jammin Jimmy Weinert on his Kawasaki were my favorites back then. Now I gotta do & see if I can find antsy of th sold copies I saved from then :D

That actually brings up another point. Back in the 70's and into the 80's there were a shitload of places to ride and even to wheel. Now? Hah, good luck. Hell there were 3 motocross tracks local to me but all of them shut down in the 90's.

Sorry I couldn't resist: IMG_1025.JPG

Ddays

Hooked
I got pulled over in mt Lebanon for 1 in beyond my fender. He was not even following me to see it. I drove past as he was sitting in a parking lot. He turned his lights on before he even pulled out.

Some places here are better than others

If there is one area that I stay out of its snooty ass Mt Lebo. I heard of a guy getting pulled over in Monroeville for driving without his doors a few years ago. :rolleyes2:
Really, as many modified cars and trucks/Jeeps that there are running around here there's very little police presence any more.

longarmwj

Good to know. I'll tell him. It'll probably make himself feel a little bit better haha

Top Bottom