My life with a Brick

fiend

Caught the Bug
I watched him measure it, they turned the wheel right and took a measurement then left and took a measurement. He had some tool that sat on the face of the wheel and gave him the degrees

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry but whatever they guy gave you is not caster. If you had caster of 1.5 degrees your Jeep would be very difficult to drive.

Assuming you have the PR unlimited, just adjust your control arms so the pinion is in alignment with the front driveshaft. That will eliminate vibrations. Depending upon your lift, your resulting caster will be anywhere in the 4-7 degrees range, which is fine. I have a 4.5” lift and ended up with 5 degrees of caster with a PR44 unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JKbrick

Sorry but whatever they guy gave you is not caster. If you had caster of 1.5 degrees your Jeep would be very difficult to drive.

Assuming you have the PR unlimited, just adjust your control arms so the pinion is in alignment with the front driveshaft. That will eliminate vibrations. Depending upon your lift, your resulting caster will be anywhere in the 4-7 degrees range, which is fine. I have a 4.5” lift and ended up with 5 degrees of caster with a PR44 unlimited.

I guess I’m not sure then? I do know it drove like absolute shit at first, I had to fight the wheel just to stay in one lane. I thought it looked like the wheels were pointing out quite a bit and I assumed it didn’t know which wheel to follow. Getting the toe set helped so I can stay in one lane now but it still takes both hands on the wheel to drive.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I guess I’m not sure then? I do know it drove like absolute shit at first, I had to fight the wheel just to stay in one lane. I thought it looked like the wheels were pointing out quite a bit and I assumed it didn’t know which wheel to follow. Getting the toe set helped so I can stay in one lane now but it still takes both hands on the wheel to drive.

So in my experience tracking issues like that are either too little caster or improper toe. Your photo suggests 7.7 degrees of caster which should be plenty if not a bit too much.

I would suspect toe is your issue but you said your guy set it correctly?

If you have brand new ball joints, that can make initial handling a handful but not like what you describe and it settles down pretty quickly.

Maybe take it to an alignment shop and post the specs.

Last edited:

Seahawkfan

Hooked

I think I have mentioned this before, but when I set my toe I used a shower curtain rod. Got front and back of tire the same and then brought the toe in just a little. Worked a lot better than a tape measure. I'm sure an alignment shop is probably the better way to go.

JKbrick

So in my experience tracking issues like that are either too little caster or improper toe. Your photo suggests 7.7 degrees of caster which should be plenty if not a bit too much.

I would suspect toe is your issue but you said your guy set it correctly?

If you have brand new ball joints, that can make initial handling a handful but not like what you describe and it settles down pretty quickly.

Maybe take it to an alignment shop and post the specs.

How about this?
IMG_4810.jpg
I reread the paperwork from Dynatrac but I just can’t make sense of it. The only issue I have now since I shortened the uppers my bump stops are not lined up anymore.

jeeeep

Hooked
here is where my PR44 Unlimited is set measures on the flat spot front of the the diff

PR44_caster.jpg

This should also help you understand the offset:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/17709-Dynatrac-PR44-Unlimited?p=314024&viewfull=1#post314024

From Dynatrac pdf file:
The stock Dana 44 Rubicon and standard ProRock 44 axle housing come from the factory with 6 degrees of angular separation between the caster axis and the pinion axis. When installed in the stock position the caster is configured at 4 degrees with the pinion up 2 degrees. This is the way the standard ProRock 44 is configured to replace a stock axle.
The ProRock 44 Unlimited housing has 10 degrees of separation between the pinion and caster axises. This allows the end user to run between 6 and 8 degrees caster with a pinion angle between 2 and 4 degrees pointed up.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Put your transfer case in neutral turn your front drive shaft where the yolk is flat and if needed put a socket on it if you need extra height and take that measurement. You should have between 2-4 degrees.

Place the angle finder underneath the axle close to the inside of a tire and zero it out to the ground. Then place it on top of the knuckle next to the ball joint facing out toward the driver side and that will give you your caster 4-6.

Edit. Your driveline looks pretty straight so I bet you're between 4 and 5 degrees of caster.

Last edited:

JKbrick

Put your transfer case in neutral turn your front drive shaft where the yolk is flat and if needed put a socket on it if you need extra height and take that measurement. You should have between 2-4 degrees.

Place the angle finder underneath the axle close to the inside of a tire and zero it out to the ground. Then place it on top of the knuckle next to the ball joint facing out toward the driver side and that will give you your caster 4-6.

Edit. Your driveline looks pretty straight so I bet you're between 4 and 5 degrees of caster.

Thank you I’ll try that after we get home, left to go to a church thing for a bit.

MericaMade

I need to get one of those and figure out how to use it. Especially, when I change out my front uppers.
If your talking about the angle finder, I use this app called Clinometer that is free in the Play Store then verify it with my real one and they're always the same.

JKbrick

My eye was right on with the rear pinion angle
IMG_4843.jpg
IMG_4840.jpg
Not as close on the front
IMG_4832.jpg
IMG_4833.jpg
But I checked and this number is the same as the pinion angle
IMG_4835.jpg
And this number is the same as on top of the knuckle and a lot easier to get to
IMG_4836.jpg
The only thing I don’t like is I had the axle centered on the bump stops before I had to shorten the upper arms, now it is not centered anymore

Top Bottom