Napalm's Billet Steel Vol. 2! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Pictury Diary.

Napalm

Looks good!

Thanks Tom!

Looks great! Just out of curiosity, do they come with mirrors and limiting straps?

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

No sir, they do not come with either. They come with mounting hardware for the factory mirrors which is what I plan to run on them. They don't come with limiting straps as Andy said!

Nice

Sent from my QTASUN1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks!!

Damn,
I am jealous man!!!!!
Enjoy and keep those awesome pictures coming.

So jealous!!

Thanks guys! I'm not gonna lie, these suckers are awesome. Trust me when I say, in even just my first impressions of the quality, fit, and finish, they are WELL worth the money :) so glad I chose these!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

No sir, they do not come with either. They come with mounting hardware for the factory mirrors which is what I plan to run on them. They don't come with limiting straps as Andy said!

The factory mirrors will look good on there! I recommend some paracord limiting straps. They are pretty easy to make. Mine have been plenty strong and zero issues. Don't buy the Velcro ones, if you decide you want some. I did and they were scary weak.

USMC Wrangler

Here's a pic

IMG_3225.JPG

I did use the metal loops and screws from the Velcro strap kit since it was too hard to return them. I'm sure you could find something similar at your local hardware store. Anyway, if you decide to go this route and have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Napalm

They look awesome! I am adding half tube doors to my list and rancho is at the top at the moment :)

Nice! I highly recommend them :) I'm going to run them for about a month and then type up a full review!

Looks good. I got first dibs when you swap them out. ;)

Done! They even make pink door skins for them :)

Those doors look awesome! Every time I see a set I want them more and more. Steel looks good!

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Man, I wish pictures could illustrate that quality and craftsmanship of these doors. They have exceeded my expectations!

Nice man. Eager to see them with the shades. Congrats.

Thanks man! I'm very excited !

The factory mirrors will look good on there! I recommend some paracord limiting straps. They are pretty easy to make. Mine have been plenty strong and zero issues. Don't buy the Velcro ones, if you decide you want some. I did and they were scary weak.

Here's a pic

View attachment 257981

I did use the metal loops and screws from the Velcro strap kit since it was too hard to return them. I'm sure you could find something similar at your local hardware store. Anyway, if you decide to go this route and have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Yeah, I plan to run my factory mirrors and rebuild something of a budget for some cheap off brand look-a-like mirrors. Reason for that is these doors will be primarily what I am running on the trail, I don't want to lose much if one happens to "love-tap" something.

And that's nice custom work. I've seen a lot of guys making something up similar to that and may do the same if I find it to be needed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Front doors - Check. :)

The plan is to do a full install(front doors, rear doors, spiderwebskins) on Saturday afternoon. That being said, I just HAD to pull one of these out of the box and check it out.

With one out, my anticipation got the better of me and I had to check one of these out on Steel. So, I pulled the front full door and put it on.

Let me start out by saying - WOW! Without even installing them, I am already thrilled about these doors. The quality is absolutely top notch. It's as if you can tell these were made right here in America. They have a great finish on them, they have a nice solid heavy feel, and just look great. And I haven't even installed them yet!
Here is Steel with a sneak preview of yes - HALF DOORS :)

Once I get these installed, I'm not sure I'll ever run full doors again! Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but seriously these are awesome and so much cooler than traditional full doors!

Looks great! Congrats to you on your new doors :thumb:

Napalm

How Not To Remove Your Power/Heated Mirror(The Write Up)(WARNING:Explicit language used)

One thing I can honestly say I've never and really NEVER used is my power/heated mirrors. I've never once adjusted my mirrors using the switch mounted under the AC controls, and it just doesn't get cold enough here to warrant the use of heated side mirrors. This has never bothered me until today when I went to remove them in preparation for moving them to my Rancho ROCKgear doors. Instead of making them plug and play next to where they mount to the Jeep, which would make all the sense in the world, they are not. They prevented me from removing my mirrors completely. This made me extremely frustrated being that something I do not use is now going to hinder me from being able to use my factory mirrors on my half doors! Now, you might ask;

Why not just order a new set of mirrors and wait for them to be installed?
Mainly because after purchasing these and the SpiderWebSkins coming in at just near $1k, Myself and my wife find it a hard pill to swallow to buy anything else right now for Steel at the time being.

or

Why not just run mirrorless with the half doors until you can afford the mirrors?
Running without mirrors would defeat one of the purposes of having the half doors. One of the reasons I bought these particular doors was the ability to reuse my factory mirrors with them. And, I am not okay with letting something I never use prevent that and cost me even more money. So, I took matters into my own hands.

Here is how NOT to remove your factory Power/Heated Mirrors
The objective here was to remove the power/heating harness from the mirror so that it can be removed from the Jeep. This is connected behind the actual mirror and requires removal of the housing and glass. I pulled Steel into the garage and began the minor surgery.

Start out by removing the bolt on the bottom of your mirror.
IMG_2724.jpg

Then you'll need to remove three torx bolts that are a T-15. You'll have to manipulate the glass around to get them. I didn't have any issues doing this, but it is a tight fit.
IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2728.jpg

After this, your mirror housing will then be able to pivot like this.
IMG_2730.jpg

To remove the mirror glass, take a flat head screwdriver and twist and the glass will come loose. This is actually a very easy step.
IMG_2733.jpg

Now after this, you'll be able to locate the four pen connector. This is VERY DIFFICULT to remove but if you take your time with a flat head screwdriver, it'll eventually come out. Here is what it looks like once removed.
IMG_2735.jpg

After that, to remove the harness you have to remove the mirror. Use a T40 Torx to remove the two screws from the inside of your JK.
IMG_2738.jpg

After that, you'll need to pull a little slack on the harness from the door to be able to wiggle it out of the mirror assembly.

Well, SH*T.....
IMG_2740.jpg
IMG_2739.jpg

While pulling slack, I snapped the wiring harness in two, rendering it useless. That may be a couple bucks off the resale... Oh well! Maybe i'll get it right on the next side...

NOPE
IMG_2723.jpg
IMG_2721.jpg

Well, in a way, mission accomplished! Not like it was gonna hook it back up anyways... Now you have two Manual mirrors that are only two bolts away from being usable on your half doors or relocatable.
IMG_2743.jpg

Now, this wasn't my overall goal but it did accomplish what I was trying to do and didn't cost me a dime.. Unless I ever decide I need Power/Heated mirrors again. ;)

I hope this helps someone who is needing to do this to relocate your mirrors, and I hope you learn from my mistakes and it goes better for you. If you guys think I should post this in the write-ups section, let me know!

Thanks for reading :)

EDIT: Not sure why my pictures went crazy... Also not sure how to fix them..

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry to hear that happened Nate. You can easily solder those wires together though and wrap some heat shrink on them. Easy, cheap fix. I'll try to find a video and post.

Disconnect battery.

Put your heat shrink on the wire first before you tie the copper together, just slide it down out of the way while you're soldering. Repeat with the other wires.

Last edited:

Napalm

Sorry to hear that happened Nate. You can easily solder those wires together though and wrap some heat shrink on them. Easy, cheap fix. I'll try to find a video and post.

Disconnect battery.

Put your heat shrink on the wire first before you tie the copper together, just slide it down out of the way while you're soldering. Repeat with the other wires.

It's really okay, as I said I've never had a need for them being power/heated. The only reason for me trying to keep them intact would be for resale value.. which really doesn't matter! LoL! Thanks for the tips on how to get them back together.

Napalm

Rancho ROCKGear rear doors are in :)
IMG_2748.jpg
SpiderWebShade skins are in as well!
IMG_2744.jpg
While not a perfect match, it's good enough for government work!
IMG_2746.jpg
Everything loaded up ready for install on Saturday at the firehouse :)
IMG_2749.jpg
Lastly, the full doors have been pulled hopefully for quite a while :)
IMG_2747.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Hey, at least you tried, right? Sorry the outcome wasn't completely what you wanted. I'm looking forward to seeing everything put together tomorrow.

Top Bottom