Napalm's NEW 2014 Jeep JKU Sport Picture diary/Build thread!

Bunz-o-fun

I see, this is all part of the master plan to get new wheels just before the suds n grub meet up next Saturday. Well played sir!
But seriously, glad no one was hurt. Can't wait to see the wheel choice!

JK BLK

Glad you weren't hurt in this! It sucks about the spacers. I was looking at those myself. They seemed like they were well built but then you never know. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Napalm

Sorry you had to go through the whole ordeal, but congrats on the new wheels!!

Holy shit! Glad to hear that it didn't turn into a bad accident.
And congrats on the new wheels.

Glad all is good now. What kind of dream wheels?

Hmm....no phases listed so we don't know what you're getting.

So many wheels...so many options. :thinking: :idontknow:

Sucks on the spacer. Any hints on the dream wheels?

sucks on the spacers...glad everyone was unharmed though. and you get a new set of wheels on it! Any hints? ATX slabs? :thumb::thumb:

That sounds intense! Glad no one was hurt. I thought spacers were stronger. Is there some kind of warranty against braking/ cover your damages since it was their products fault?

I see, this is all part of the master plan to get new wheels just before the suds n grub meet up next Saturday. Well played sir!
But seriously, glad no one was hurt. Can't wait to see the wheel choice!

Glad you weren't hurt in this! It sucks about the spacers. I was looking at those myself. They seemed like they were well built but then you never know. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Thank you everyone. If the wheel would have came off the damage could have been much worse. Going nose down would have been catastrophic for Onyx. Bumper, winch, body, and engine damage could have occurred.

As for the new wheels, I love to keep everyone guessing, so it'll be a surprise come Friday. I can assure you though, it won't be a slab/beadlock. I'm not balling like most! LOL

Napalm

Snapped this picture today. I'm posting this here to show what could happen using spacers. I installed these with Loctite and proper torque, all to the manufactures instructions. The studs completely snapped, I'm unsure what caused the stress.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433960811.778541.jpg

My wife and I discussed a new set of spacers, but due to the issue of the possibility of it happening again, I choose to go with wheels with decent back spacing/offset. Now I'm not against spacers, I just don't feel that I'd like to run them on my rig anymore.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Snapped this picture today. I'm posting this here to show what could happen using spacers. I installed these with Loctite and proper torque, all to the manufactures instructions. The studs completely snapped, I'm unsure what caused the stress.

View attachment 148120

My wife and I discussed a new set of spacers, but due to the issue of the possibility of it happening again, I choose to go with wheels with decent back spacing/offset. Now I'm not against spacers, I just don't feel that I'd like to run them on my rig anymore.

I would lean more towards budget Chinese spacers is what caused the failure.
And totally understandable that rims make you and your family feel safer. Again, glad no one was hurt!

Napalm

I would lean more towards budget Chinese spacers is what caused the failure.
And totally understandable that rims make you and your family feel safer. Again, glad no one was hurt!

Agreed. I don't believe this was an issue with the concept of spacers, but the specific spacer I went with.

But yes, for piece of mind we have chosen the ladder. They will be much more expensive and derail other mods but, I was going to upgrade rims eventually. Might as well take the opportunity.

SilverBack

Understood. I have some spacers at home waiting to go on and wanted to be sure I hadn't made a mistake.

I've run mine (Spydertrax) for more than 3,000 rough miles without a problem once I got them trolled and loctited correctly. I just rotated tires and rechecked the torque- All Good! The roads here in Kosovo are for the most part big assed potholes connected by smaller assed potholes with some deep overweight truck tire ruts. Throw in the Weekly Sunday jaunt into the unknown parts off gravel and pavement and I am totally confident. Take the time and do it correctly with a good set and you will be fine. I am not saying anything at all negative about Napalms install or product!!!! I am very glad he and his wife are okay and unharmed and it sucks that they failed!

NBarton

Good to hear. I have the Spydertrax spacers. I plan to install them this weekend to gain a better stance. Purely a fashion change for now, but I will soon add better tires and an affordable lift - I'm following the Napalm build plan.

Glad you caught that without incurring major damage! Coincidentally, I was notified yesterday that when they were welding my gussets on, they noticed one of the studs on my driver's side front was cracked. He replaced it for me, but now I'm worried about the rest of them. :grayno:

Napalm

I've run mine (Spydertrax) for more than 3,000 rough miles without a problem once I got them trolled and loctited correctly. I just rotated tires and rechecked the torque- All Good! The roads here in Kosovo are for the most part big assed potholes connected by smaller assed potholes with some deep overweight truck tire ruts. Throw in the Weekly Sunday jaunt into the unknown parts off gravel and pavement and I am totally confident. Take the time and do it correctly with a good set and you will be fine. I am not saying anything at all negative about Napalms install or product!!!! I am very glad he and his wife are okay and unharmed and it sucks that they failed!

No offense taken! LoL! Spacers in my opinion are one of the easiest things to install, and it was a certain product failure rather than an install error. Unfortunately though, I am now a horror story/example of what could happen with em. The owner of the tire shop said he wished he could have filmed me when I came in because he doesn't support the use of spacers and he said what happened to me is the reason why. Despite what happened, I'm still not against running spacers. I'd just rather go ahead and take a step towards wheels.

Good to hear. I have the Spydertrax spacers. I plan to install them this weekend to gain a better stance. Purely a fashion change for now, but I will soon add better tires and an affordable lift - I'm following the Napalm build plan.

Unfortunately with this wheel purchase, the build plan has had to change quite a bit! LoL!

Glad you caught that without incurring major damage! Coincidentally, I was notified yesterday that when they were welding my gussets on, they noticed one of the studs on my driver's side front was cracked. He replaced it for me, but now I'm worried about the rest of them. :grayno:

I am also very thankful. Luckily in your case, they caught it! I wouldn't be too worried, it just might be worth a check!

Napalm

Off Road Evolution was kind enough to send me a Jog Plate for my EVO quarter pounder since I did not recieve one with my original purchase. For those of you that don't know, this works as an adaptor for some fairleads that don't match up to the 1/4 pounder.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434045765.028041.jpg

Now I can get my fairlead mounted up and test out my winch!

DrockinWV

Just spend the last few days reading this whole thread! Great job on the build, I love the look of your JK and this is exactly what I want to do once I get myself one! Everything is well put together and love all the pictures. Im sad that I have caught up to real time and super curious to know what wheels you have lined up. Also very happy you guys are okay with the spacer malfunction, definitely could have been a lot worse! Subbed for sure!!

Napalm

Just spend the last few days reading this whole thread! Great job on the build, I love the look of your JK and this is exactly what I want to do once I get myself one! Everything is well put together and love all the pictures. Im sad that I have caught up to real time and super curious to know what wheels you have lined up. Also very happy you guys are okay with the spacer malfunction, definitely could have been a lot worse! Subbed for sure!!

Thank you for the kind words. Glad you are enjoying the thread and I hope that you continue to do so!

Napalm

Today is (hopefully) the big day! Hopefully I'll be getting some wheels mounted up to Onyx this afternoon! Just waiting from the call from Discount Tire.

Other projects im gonna try and tackle today are mounting the fairlead and possibly relocating some LED lights.

Top Bottom