New Evo Mfg pro series hinged gate

JKJody

IMG_2872.jpg
Well I've seemed to have remedied the problem with just a couple of washers i put on the top spacer plate. I think what happens is that when you torque down the carrier bolts, it pulls the tailgate back.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GreggNY

There's really not much to it. Picked up a 4' 3/4" strip of aluminum and some stainless steel hardware from the local Ace Hardware. Measured it out, cut, drilled, and smoothed it out. Took about half an hour and cost about $25.
View attachment 274259

Sent from my Pixel using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've got the carrier and just got the same rotopax mount setup. Am I missing something obvious or do you basically have to take off the rotopax jugs, unbolt the rotopax plate (4 bolts), and then remove the one long bolt attaching the evo rotopax backing plate to be able to get the spare off?

And does anyone think it's any problem to run a 4 gal rotopax on a 37x12.5x17 stt pro/ATX wheel (non beadlock) with this mount? The evo carrier has been solid as hell but a bit worried about damaging the tailgate. The wheel/tire combo should be about 110 lbs, and then about 25lbs for the 4 gallons of gas plus whatever the actual rotopax container and mounts weigh? Maybe 150 lbs total on the evo mount? If it's pushing the weight for the tailgate, I'd look into upgrading to a frame/body mounted setup. Although I'd only be running the rotopax on it for certain trips.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I've got the carrier and just got the same rotopax mount setup. Am I missing something obvious or do you basically have to take off the rotopax jugs, unbolt the rotopax plate (4 bolts), and then remove the one long bolt attaching the evo rotopax backing plate to be able to get the spare off?

And does anyone think it's any problem to run a 4 gal rotopax on a 37x12.5x17 stt pro/ATX wheel (non beadlock) with this mount? The evo carrier has been solid as hell but a bit worried about damaging the tailgate. The wheel/tire combo should be about 110 lbs, and then about 25lbs for the 4 gallons of gas plus whatever the actual rotopax container and mounts weigh? Maybe 150 lbs total on the evo mount? If it's pushing the weight for the tailgate, I'd look into upgrading to a frame/body mounted setup. Although I'd only be running the rotopax on it for certain trips.

No, you shouldn't have to take off the rotopax mount, there is just enough space between the mounting plate and the small plate that the bolt applies pressure to to get a wrench (ratcheting wrench would probably work best) over the bolt head and another wrench on the lock nut to loosen it and take off the mount with only having to remove the rotopax. I just installed a 4gal rotopax with a single center mount, I didn't understand the purpose of using the long bolt so I just used the single bolt through the top. With the Chamber Pro II wheels the mount is sticking out all the way and the long bolt would just let the mount fall forward and not rest on top of the stud. With this mount I suspect that if you cause damage to the tailgate you will have to cause damage to the body first. All the weight is on the mount, including the weight of the tailgate.

Here is a 40" Nitto on Chamber pro II (140lbs) with a 4gal rotopax that I installed yesterday. The roto pax mount isn't holding much of the weight of the rotopax but it is applying force to the rotopax against the tire to support the weight of the rotopax. Much like the way the sliding part of tire carrier where the wheel attaches isn't holding much of the weight of the tire but allows you to tighten the wheel against the rest of the carrier for support.

IMG_4360.jpg

GreggNY

No, you shouldn't have to take off the rotopax mount, there is just enough space between the mounting plate and the small plate that the bolt applies pressure to to get a wrench (ratcheting wrench would probably work best) over the bolt head and another wrench on the lock nut to loosen it and take off the mount with only having to remove the rotopax. I just installed a 4gal rotopax with a single center mount, I didn't understand the purpose of using the long bolt so I just used the single bolt through the top. With the Chamber Pro II wheels the mount is sticking out all the way and the long bolt would just let the mount fall forward and not rest on top of the stud. With this mount I suspect that if you cause damage to the tailgate you will have to cause damage to the body first. All the weight is on the mount, including the weight of the tailgate.

Here is a 40" Nitto on Chamber pro II (140lbs) with a 4gal rotopax that I installed yesterday. The roto pax mount isn't holding much of the weight of the rotopax but it is applying force to the rotopax against the tire to support the weight of the rotopax. Much like the way the sliding part of tire carrier where the wheel attaches isn't holding much of the weight of the tire but allows you to tighten the wheel against the rest of the carrier for support.

View attachment 276127

Thanks for the reply. I'll check on the wrench clearance when I get the rotopax mounted up. That's good to know that a full tear down might not be necessary. I actually came across your build thread today and saw that setup. Your rig looks great!

zimm

Caught the Bug
I can pull one and check for you. I think they were 5/16-18. I had to tap the holes because they were full of powder coating.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
If it can hold a 50 pound hi lift, I'm sure it'll hold a flag. A piece of angle iron spanning both bolts with a flag pole mounted to it would work.

onebadtwo

Good news... It looks like EVO has changed their packaging for the tire carrier! No more peanuts!!! AND, not a single scratch or nick in the powder coat! I hope to install it either this weekend or next. :yup:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Good news... It looks like EVO has changed their packaging for the tire carrier! No more peanuts!!! AND, not a single scratch or nick in the powder coat! I hope to install it either this weekend or next. :yup:

That is great news! Everything I’ve bought from EVO has been packed with those foam peanuts and they seem to get and blow everywhere...very frustrating.

Enjoy the install!

'07 JKUR

gsrious

So I know we have all dealt with the factory evo trail gate bump stop.

Just recently, evo manf offroad posted on their Facebook page about the year long review on their carrier with 40's(spicy chicken).

I could have swore I thought I saw bicycle brake pads being used as bump stop, so I asked the question. It didn't get answered for some reason.

I also went out and bought it too.

Get the pads at your local Wal-Mart. They carry the bell brand.

I had to drill out the hinge middle hole just a tad bit to 1/4"

Cut of a little off the edge of the brake pad so that it will fit inside the hinge. The pad itself is very durable and metal enforced inside it.

Well, it works like a charm. . Felt it should have came with it from evo.

Attachments

• 20171026_123931.jpg
    20171026_123931.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 20171026_125456.jpg
    20171026_125456.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 20171026_125502.jpg
    20171026_125502.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 349

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I know we have all dealt with the factory evo trail gate bump stop.

Just recently, evo manf offroad posted on their Facebook page about the year long review on their carrier with 40's(spicy chicken).

I could have swore I thought I saw bicycle brake pads being used as bump stop, so I asked the question. It didn't get answered for some reason.

I also went out and bought it too.

Get the pads at your local Wal-Mart. They carry the bell brand.

I had to drill out the hinge middle hole just a tad bit to 1/4"

Cut of a little off the edge of the brake pad so that it will fit inside the hinge. The pad itself is very durable and metal enforced inside it.

Well, it works like a charm. . Felt it should have came with it from evo.
Huh that’s actually a good idea! Thanks for posting

Top Bottom