New Hummer EV. Yea or Nay?

jdofmemi

I had my last GMC for 13 years... mildly wheeled it the first 6 years... broke 3 pitman arms, went through 3 steering boxes, 2 draglinks, multiple sets of ball joints, unit bearings and tie rods... It seemed like I was rebuilding the front end every year while just using it as a work truck. All their new Hummer claims seem cool... but I’m doubtful of its strength as a dedicated offroad rig.

☝️ This is truth☝️

I had similar issues and more with my Avalanche 2500. I had to carry spare tie rods, as they just snap in two when stressed. Spare CV axles, plus the lifespan of the tie rod ends, ball joints, and others mean you can't keep the front end in alignment to save your life. Tire life suffers.

Not that Jeep is perfect, and we all know of the problems we deal with, but a lot are caused by hard use with big tires.

MericaMade

Same with my 07 Chev. Hell my engine needed a rebuild at 130,000. I won’t ever again buy a GM truck.
I was a Chevy guy my whole life. When I bought my last truck I just didn't feel GM had anything new to offer in the last 10 years. I ended up buying a 2018 F150 and absolutely love it. I wouldn't go back to a Chevy unless it was a 67-69 car.

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

KICKROX

I think they missed the mark on this one. Especially the frontend... it looks hideous to me. But I'm sure it's appealing to some. I really think they should have canned the "Hummer" brand as it has lost most of its following and placed it under the GMC Badge, It probably would have more appeal that way. 113K plus is too pricey in my opinion. I think the technology is has is great though, I'm not knocking that but 100K plus?

But yes, better than Tesla in appearance. although, I think the best looking EV truck is the Nikola Badger. Just my opinion.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I was a Chevy guy my whole life. When I bought my last truck I just didn't feel GM had anything new to offer in the last 10 years. I ended up buying a 2018 F150 and absolutely love it. I wouldn't go back to a Chevy unless it was a 67-69 car.

Ha! Ditto!! To be fair though, I wouldn’t wheel my 18’ F150 ... but its been an awesome work truck.

jeeeep

Hooked
pretty cool off-road features, will be interesting to see an actual model get tested (based on the simulated vehicle shown tagline on the video) but pretty cool CGI

steep price :eek:

The bed will come in handy to mount a gas powered generator to charge it up when you're not within range of a charging station :thumb:

wjtstudios

Hooked

Hmm, 69’ Chevelle [emoji16]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not gonna lie, I’m interested in the Hummer SUV and the Rivian SUV and could definitely see one in my garage in the next 3-5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

Looks like GM is going all in on EV.. This is what the New Blazer should have been looks wise..... 10 min charge for 100 miles is not bad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpTj8q4ZD9U

Well, the marketing guys hit it out of the park.

If reality comes close to the hype, it will be a cool rig to check out. While it would never replace my Jeep, it could be fun in its own environment.

Other than the 10 minutes for 100 miles, they were suspiciously silent about the range. I suspect because the 100 miles is probably 70 to 80 percent, so carry a generator if going off the beaten path very far.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not gonna lie, I’m interested in the Hummer SUV and the Rivian SUV and could definitely see one in my garage in the next 3-5 years.

I couldn't give two shits about the Rivian but the Hummer... I'm not ashamed to say that I LOVE it. I love it more than the 392 and really, it's light years ahead of what the 4Xe could have and should have been more like. Yes, the price tag is HUGE but really, there's nothing else out there that comes close to what GM is trying to do and that's to take the idea of an electric truck and make it out of this world futuristic and cool.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Well, the marketing guys hit it out of the park.

If reality comes close to the hype, it will be a cool rig to check out. While it would never replace my Jeep, it could be fun in its own environment.

Other than the 10 minutes for 100 miles, they were suspiciously silent about the range. I suspect because the 100 miles is probably 70 to 80 percent, so carry a generator if going off the beaten path very far.

Right... I've talked a lot of shit about EV.... but GM has my attention now.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldnt mind the 18 cameras, crabwalk and 0to60 in 3 on my jlu tho...just sayin

Sent from my SM-N986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

With the quality of shit GM has been selling recently I would be amazed if any of it worked off the showroom floor. We have already done many engines in new Yukon’s/Tahoe’s with less than 100 miles on them.
IMG_0884.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg

a friend who left my shop for another one is on his second c8 transmission replacement and this one has less than 100 miles on it.
IMG_1188.jpg

Don’t get me wrong it’s great job security for me but god damn is it all junk right now

Top Bottom