Performance 40s vs 37s

DKjeep

For those who have 40's how much more power did it sap out of the vehicle over 37's? How noticeable was it in a seat of the pants feel?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those who have 40's how much more power did it sap out of the vehicle over 37's? How noticeable was it in a seat of the pants feel?

Depends on what gears you're running. Assuming you were running 5.13's with 37's and then bumped up to 5.38's like you should with 40's, the difference won't be too bad. If you were already running 5.38's, the change is very noticeable.

Basscat

I'd still go with the bolt on coil overs if only because they would offer more flex.

Input always appreciated Wayoflife! Have a wonderful New Year everyone!

FYI - will be unloading quite a bit of stuff for those wanting to step up to 37s. Could make a good New Years present! I'll post on appropriate thread.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Input always appreciated Wayoflife! Have a wonderful New Year everyone!

FYI - will be unloading quite a bit of stuff for those wanting to step up to 37s. Could make a good New Years present! I'll post on appropriate thread.

Pm sent

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

DKjeep

Depends on what gears you're running. Assuming you were running 5.13's with 37's and then bumped up to 5.38's like you should with 40's, the difference won't be too bad. If you were already running 5.38's, the change is very noticeable.

I am geared at 5.13 now and on 37's. If nothing else were to be changed I am wondering how much worse the tires alone would suck the life out of it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am geared at 5.13 now and on 37's. If nothing else were to be changed I am wondering how much worse the tires alone would suck the life out of it.

You'll feel the difference for sure but I would think it'd be tolerable so long as you're not in an area where you have to do a lot of climbing of grades.

Colorado2003

I just switched from 37s to 40s 6 month ago. I'm running 513s right now and live in Colorado where the hill get me but it is not that bad and plenty tolerable in my opinion. I do plan on moving up to 5.38s this summer though. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thoughts on running 40's and bolt on coilovers? I plan on doing 60/60 in the next few months, so axles will be covered. Just curious as to how the bolt on co's will handle the bigger axles and 40s. I don't plan on going DTD at all since I'm not bombing deserts. Thoughts?

Edit: currently running 37s

Last edited:

tgoss

Thoughts on running 40's and bolt on coilovers? I plan on doing 60/60 in the next few months, so axles will be covered. Just curious as to how the bolt on co's will handle the bigger axles and 40s. I don't plan on going DTD at all since I'm not bombing deserts. Thoughts?

I don't understand what your concern would be? The bolt on coilover kit from Evo will play extremely nice with 40's and bigger axles.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

They work fine...

IMG_0004.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand what your concern would be? The bolt on coilover kit from Evo will play extremely nice with 40's and bigger axles.

As a daily driver or crawling on the rocks, I totally agree. Driving hard and fast across the desert, no way I'd want to do it. Hell, I did it with 37's and now run DTD's on my both my JK's. Of course, this isn't something he said he would be doing. :)

They work fine...

View attachment 236590

As a daily driver or crawling on the rocks, I totally agree. Driving hard and fast across the desert, no way I'd want to do it. Hell, I did it with 37's and now run DTD's on my both my JK's. Of course, this isn't something he said he would be doing. :)

Thanks guys. As mentioned before I'm not driving fast off-road, but more slower rock crawling and ledges. I just wanted to make sure that this was an ideal situation before getting too far ahead of myself.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You'll be fine with the bolt one. The rare occasion if I want to "get it" (for instance if going to sand dunes etc) I just add some more preload to get some more uptravel. Takes maybe 15 min. If I was regularly doing high speed I'd go to DTD in a heartbeat but I live in Michigan so I know that isn't happening any time soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. As mentioned before I'm not driving fast off-road, but more slower rock crawling and ledges. I just wanted to make sure that this was an ideal situation before getting too far ahead of myself.

"Ideal" is relative to the person looking to go coil overs. If it were me, I personally would still run the DTD kit only without the bypass shocks.

"Ideal" is relative to the person looking to go coil overs. If it were me, I personally would still run the DTD kit only without the bypass shocks.

That's definitely a better option for future upgrade potential.

So it's possible to upgrade to DTD minus bypass shocks, if I already have the bolt ons? That is great to know for the future. Thanks.

Edit: never mind, don't think this would work...

Top Bottom