Performance 40s vs 37s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
However, with an LS3, first I'm envious, second I know that with the gear ratio of 5.13's you'll be a little deep for that tranny but like you said it won't be too much and you'll love the shit out of it. That picture is making me drool.

I'm running 5.38's with a 6L80 and while it may be a little deep, I'm pretty happy with what I got.

And not to thread jack this but while we are discussing suspensions I'm wondering for myself personally if I should upgrade to a DTD or custom coilover set up and keep playing on 37's with my current axles first or bump up to full floats and 40's then address suspension later?

I guess that all depends on how you're using your Jeep and how often.

How far in the future? Do tell.

Could be a few months, could be a few years. All I can say is that I wouldn't wait for it. Whatever you do, you could always sell later and use that money to help fund your upgrade.

ravenmad

40's

This is an interesting topic, one I am sure has been beaten to death by anyone remotely contemplating the jump to 40's and does not regularly wheel with guys/gals who are running 40's. I have run both and have a 2008 now that runs 40 inch MTR-K's. The equipment changes needed to safely run 40's without being freaked out at every ledge is substantial for sure. 1 ton full float axles, wider WMS-WMS, gearing, driveline upgrades, the inevitable drain on power, (because we all want sports car pep) with our now bloated 6300 plus pound, 40 inch tired trail eating monsters, breaks, a well engineered suspension, and steering upgrades... Is it worth it? Depends... I ran 37's for years, and if I was going to drive a jeep on the road a lot I would just stay with 37's. My last jeep with 37's drove great, and wheeled just fine. My new jeep has 40's, was built from the ground up for that very purpose, is a blast to drive , handles very well, and has an unhealthy desire to stop at every gas station and say hello, how you doin....

Some people have a ton of knowledge, drive really well, typically wheel with other jeeps on 40's and can afford to sink the price of a house in North Carolina into a jeep... Building a jeep to run 40's doesn't make me or anyone else a better driver, nor does it make me or anyone else someone to be looked up to, heck, I know plenty of guys who can't drive for crap, but rely on 40's and HP to look good. The perfect line, thats impressive to me, if you can pick and run the perfect line, who cares what size tires your running. I personally will look you in the face and say "that was a great line" and I will gladly follow you, no matter what size tires your running.

Performance is subjective, but it starts with equipment that is matched, balanced, stable. In the end equipment will be measured on the sliding rule of the drivers ability to actually control all those parts and make them function well in the environment He/She has chosen to utilize them on. My .02 Can you afford to build a sound jeep capable of handling 40's???? If so, go for it, if not, half hearted attempts to look good running 40's will cost you in the end when you would have been better off running the perfect line on your 37's... FLAME ON

Tiaan

This is an interesting topic, one I am sure has been beaten to death by anyone remotely contemplating the jump to 40's and does not regularly wheel with guys/gals who are running 40's. I have run both and have a 2008 now that runs 40 inch MTR-K's. The equipment changes needed to safely run 40's without being freaked out at every ledge is substantial for sure. 1 ton full float axles, wider WMS-WMS, gearing, driveline upgrades, the inevitable drain on power, (because we all want sports car pep) with our now bloated 6300 plus pound, 40 inch tired trail eating monsters, breaks, a well engineered suspension, and steering upgrades... Is it worth it? Depends... I ran 37's for years, and if I was going to drive a jeep on the road a lot I would just stay with 37's. My last jeep with 37's drove great, and wheeled just fine. My new jeep has 40's, was built from the ground up for that very purpose, is a blast to drive , handles very well, and has an unhealthy desire to stop at every gas station and say hello, how you doin....

Some people have a ton of knowledge, drive really well, typically wheel with other jeeps on 40's and can afford to sink the price of a house in North Carolina into a jeep... Building a jeep to run 40's doesn't make me or anyone else a better driver, nor does it make me or anyone else someone to be looked up to, heck, I know plenty of guys who can't drive for crap, but rely on 40's and HP to look good. The perfect line, thats impressive to me, if you can pick and run the perfect line, who cares what size tires your running. I personally will look you in the face and say "that was a great line" and I will gladly follow you, no matter what size tires your running.

Performance is subjective, but it starts with equipment that is matched, balanced, stable. In the end equipment will be measured on the sliding rule of the drivers ability to actually control all those parts and make them function well in the environment He/She has chosen to utilize them on. My .02 Can you afford to build a sound jeep capable of handling 40's???? If so, go for it, if not, half hearted attempts to look good running 40's will cost you in the end when you would have been better off running the perfect line on your 37's... FLAME ON

Well spoken bro! That was very insightful!![emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Curious...... what's your spring rate front and rear? EVO front 250/250, rear 200/250. Did you deviate at all from that? Any idea what your rig weighs?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm still running 250/250 front and 200/250 rear. I may bump the rear up a tad but it has been working fine for long enough that I have just kinda left it lol.

I have never weighed it but based on similar rigs I'd say 5500ish probably about where it is. When I was going to swap springs I figured out that I'm about 3800ish sprung weight so add in the axles and tires.

Basscat

I'm still running 250/250 front and 200/250 rear. I may bump the rear up a tad but it has been working fine for long enough that I have just kinda left it lol.

I have never weighed it but based on similar rigs I'd say 5500ish probably about where it is. When I was going to swap springs I figured out that I'm about 3800ish sprung weight so add in the axles and tires.

PM sent. Thanks.

Top Bottom