Problem with Yeti drag Link. Input needed or new drag link recomendations.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Look IF anything, have you thought about checking your sway bar to see if maybe it's shifted over a bit? Because, the only thing holding it to the frame rails are the rubber mounts and really, there isn't anything that keeps it absolutely centered. IF your drag link boot is really making contact with the sway bar arm, MAYBE it's because yours is shifted over a bit to the passenger side of your Jeep. Just a thought from an idiot like me.

From one idiot to another, you may be on to something here!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a pic of my factory rear sway bar. Due to the amount of flex I get, it tends to wander a bit and sometimes, this causes the sway bar links to catch on the frame rails. I installed shaft collars on it to help prevent this from happening.

main.php

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/29692-JK-Wrangler-Rear-Sway-Bar-Shift-Budget-Fix

That being said, I've NEVER had an issue with my front sway bar or had my drag link make contact with it and maybe it's because I still run an OE drag link. BUT, I could totally see how it is POSSIBLE for this to be an issue IF the sway bar were to shift over to the passenger side of your Jeep a bit.

stitch1

Hey, now that looks like a solution to my problem. I'll see if the swaybar has shifted to the passenger side and if so I'll try to do something like you've done in the rear. Pretty smart solution. Thanks for posting it.

stzd8

Another question on the issue

Say, I know the issue was over on the table. But I thought of another possibility. I replaced the steering box with a PCS one and while doing it I ended getting a new pitman arm just to start fresh. Since I couldn't find a MOPAR pitman, I ended up getting a Omix one. I noticed that both arms are different in shape. MOPAR is curved, while OMIX is straight. could that be the culprit?

How fragile it is to replace the pitman arm? I don't want to mess up the steering box gear taking it off?

WJCO

Meme King
Say, I know the issue was over on the table. But I thought of another possibility. I replaced the steering box with a PCS one and while doing it I ended getting a new pitman arm just to start fresh. Since I couldn't find a MOPAR pitman, I ended up getting a Omix one. I noticed that both arms are different in shape. MOPAR is curved, while OMIX is straight. could that be the culprit?

How fragile it is to replace the pitman arm? I don't want to mess up the steering box gear taking it off?

Being that you recently installed it, it shouldn't be as hard to get off. Pull the big nut, spray PB blaster around the splines, and use a puller to pull it off. Put new one on, torque to specs.

jesse3638

Hooked

Regardless of shape I'd assume the draglink mount on the pitman arm would still end up in the same place.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

stzd8

Can't say I disagree with you. I didn't know about their shady business practices when I bought it. However, everything seems to be built well. I am hoping I can find the cause of what happened to mine. I have a theory that I was in a hard turn while flexing causing the sway bar to rub. However, I need to recreate the problem to either confirm or disprove my theory.

I did contact them to see if anyone else had reported this issue before or if they had any thoughts on what could have caused it. They just said they would ship me a replacement boot. While I do appreciate the new boot. I really want to treat the cause so I can prevent it in the future. View attachment 285090

This is with the wheel turned almost to full lock. I didn't have anyone to hold the wheel so it would move back a bit. As you can see from the aerial view it's not too far away from the swaybar. Now if the sway bar was to swing down I could see how they may touch. I am thinking that could be my cause. Not sure how to prevent it if that is the case. Maybe a different drag-link. :thinking:
View attachment 285091

Say did you get to replace the boot after all? How is it handling now?

stzd8

Replaced boot

Well, I am on my last boot. Replaced it yesterday, the old was so torn up looked it came from two wars. Let's hope this one lasts longer. I only pumped 3 times for the grease this time. Not sure if that is ok, but I don't like to balloon it til it bleeds grease on the exit holes.

stitch1

I haven't swapped the boot yet. I've been sick since receiving the new boot. I did take it to a shop and they agree with how I tore it. Full lock left with flex equals touching of the sway bar. They suggested getting real disconnects or replacing the drag link with one with a smaller end link on it. I haven't really decided what I am going to do yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't swapped the boot yet. I've been sick since receiving the new boot. I did take it to a shop and they agree with how I tore it. Full lock left with flex equals touching of the sway bar. They suggested getting real disconnects or replacing the drag link with one with a smaller end link on it. I haven't really decided what I am going to do yet.

Your shop sounds like they really want to sell you shit you don’t need. But, if you do buy what they want to sell you, can I have your sway bar? I’ll pay for shipping [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Your shop sounds like they really want to sell you shit you don’t need. But, if you do buy what they want to sell you, can I have your sway bar? I’ll pay for shipping [emoji41]

LOL, no kidding. It’s crazy what people will come up sometimes. I’ve had more than a few people around here tell me a Rubicon sway bar actually LIMITS the flex on a JK[emoji23]

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
LOL, no kidding. It’s crazy what people will come up sometimes. I’ve had more than a few people around here tell me a Rubicon sway bar actually LIMITS the flex on a JK[emoji23]

The Rubicon sway bar does limit the flex on the JK, I read it on the internet. The guy was running 40s on stock Dana 30/Dana 44 so I had doubts. Then I saw his sweet a$$ Instagram so I knew he was legit.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The Rubicon sway bar does limit the flex on the JK, I read it on the internet. The guy was running 40s on stock Dana 30/Dana 44 so I had doubts. Then I saw his sweet a$$ Instagram so I knew he was legit.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

At first I thought you were being sarcastic but soon realized all of what you said is true and how I model my life. I’m confused now.

stzd8

replaced another boot so far...

well week 2 and boot stays in place so far. But I doubt my case is the sway bar. And if you were referring getting a smaller sway bar link, wont that be changing the angle of the bar? Making more prone to hit something ? My bar sits on 0 degree and with the JKS end link.

toyotire

I wonder if they mean just replace the stock links with discos so when articulated the swaybar itself does not move? You do have to be careful depending on what kind you use as with JKS the pin can puncture a tire if you have the swaybar in the wrong position under certain articulation you need to be aware so you can position the swaybar correctly. I run jks discos on a rubicon because sometimes its nice to be disconnected running in 2 wheel drive.

Top Bottom