Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

WJCO

Meme King
Man, I’ve been tempted to try a cordless auger but wasn’t sure if it could actually get the job done the way a gas can. may have to give this a try.
18" x 18" holes in pretty much clay. Took about 1 minute per hole. 6" diameter auger so I had to drill in a few spots for each hole. If they weren't 500 bucks and I didn't have such a small project, I would definitely buy one. I now wish I would've had one for some of the projects I've done over the years though.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
18" x 18" holes in pretty much clay. Took about 1 minute per hole. 6" diameter auger so I had to drill in a few spots for each hole. If they weren't 500 bucks and I didn't have such a small project, I would definitely buy one. I now wish I would've had one for some of the projects I've done over the years though.
At first I thought you meant the auger was 18”. I was thinking wtf, that’s huge.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thought I'd do a "quick, weekend" bathroom facelift since I have several family members coming for the April solar eclipse, instead I opened the portal to hell 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

Started with a simple project, (simple) removed the old medicine cabinet, found carpet padding and packing styrofoam for insulation on the exterior wall and it was down to the depths of hell from there. They must have run out of insulation at this point.

20240310_143552.jpg

Cut around the tub drain to remove the old shower pan, the drain spout slightly popped up and shifted position (bad feeling, bad bad feeling) telling me it was under strain. Removed the pan and the cast iron drain moved way too easily.. let's investigate! 🤬🤬🤬
Dug down a bit and sure enough, I was able to lift the top portion of the p-trap out, went ahead and dug down below the p-trap to get it ready for the plumber who's coming tomorrow. Used prescription bottle made a nice snug fit to block it off.
20240308_110917.jpg

Move on to removing the tile, the tiles were ready to fall, 5 pulls and all tiles cleared off the 2 walls, that can't be a good sign...
That was easy is not what I should be thinking.

Yay, 2 layers of drywall glued together, both regular drywall from what I could tell and more carpet padding and styrofoam behind it, woohoo...

Ended up removing more wall than I was planning on; tomorrow after the plumber gets done, another trip to get proper insulation, lumber and supplies to have a proper waterproof wall for the new shower.

Don't recall when I've had so much fun on a weekend 🤬🖕🤬

At this point I feel like the guy stomping out burning bags of dog shit but can't stop now lol

Jsouder53

Hooked
Thought I'd do a "quick, weekend" bathroom facelift since I have several family members coming for the April solar eclipse, instead I opened the portal to hell 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

Started with a simple project, (simple) removed the old medicine cabinet, found carpet padding and packing styrofoam for insulation on the exterior wall and it was down to the depths of hell from there. They must have run out of insulation at this point.

View attachment 403481

Cut around the tub drain to remove the old shower pan, the drain spout slightly popped up and shifted position (bad feeling, bad bad feeling) telling me it was under strain. Removed the pan and the cast iron drain moved way too easily.. let's investigate! 🤬🤬🤬
Dug down a bit and sure enough, I was able to lift the top portion of the p-trap out, went ahead and dug down below the p-trap to get it ready for the plumber who's coming tomorrow. Used prescription bottle made a nice snug fit to block it off.
View attachment 403482

Move on to removing the tile, the tiles were ready to fall, 5 pulls and all tiles cleared off the 2 walls, that can't be a good sign...

Yay, 2 layers of drywall glued together, both regular drywall from what I could tell and more carpet padding and styrofoam behind it, woohoo...

Ended up removing more wall than I was planning on; tomorrow after the plumber gets done, another trip to get proper insulation, lumber and supplies to have a proper waterproof wall for the new shower.

At this point I feel like the guy stomping out burning bags of dog shit but can't stop now lol
So what I gather from this is that you’re gutting the bathroom now?

View attachment 403481

View attachment 403482

Holy shit you really did open the portal to hell! Doesn’t sound like fun.

jeeeep

Hooked
So what I gather from this is that you’re gutting the bathroom now?
Holy shit you really did open the portal to hell! Doesn’t sound like fun.
Unfortunately, I have OCD and cannot leave this shit as is.
Probably could've fixed the plumbing, fixed the small portion, installed the shower against proper backing, and recovered the rest but, the thought of carpet padding and styrofoam insulation, double layers of drywall glued together, 2x4's put in sideways to avoid adding another few 2x4's ughhh..
Gutted it to fix it right and sleep well at night.

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 403481

View attachment 403482

That's brutal.

Ddays

Hooked
Thought I'd do a "quick, weekend" bathroom facelift

Said no one ever......

Lol, I feel your pain. Our first tiny house had an extension cord plugged into the porcelain light fixture in the garage. I could never figure out what it was for so I just left it plugged in. FF a few years: was in garage & decided to unplug again & whattya know, the hairdryer the wife was using in the bathroom directly above went off. So of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity. After 10 minutes of totally pissing her off & me trying to not let her hear me laughing my ass off the whole time, I went to find the extension cord attached to said outlet.

Decent into hell ensued.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Unfortunately, I have OCD and cannot leave this shit as is.
Probably could've fixed the plumbing, fixed the small portion, installed the shower against proper backing, and recovered the rest but, the thought of carpet padding and styrofoam insulation, double layers of drywall glued together, 2x4's put in sideways to avoid adding another few 2x4's ughhh..
Gutted it to fix it right and sleep well at night.
The one room in the house thats totally worth gutting down to the studs and starting over.. is always the bathroom. It’s just so much easier that way.

Top Bottom