Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah its slab on grade. That pic didn't show the hose bib which is right there outside so I'm sure its coming from that as there would be no drain lines on that wall. I'm sure it was overlooked by the home inspector as it was raining the day he did it so seeing the water outside would not have been noticeable. Its also common for grass or weeds to root in expansion joints or under the weep screen of the house as I've had them at my old place. When I first popped a tile away from it the smell and moisture caught my attention but we had had some rain and I know sometimes the concrete can sweat. It wasn't until yesterday when I pulled tiles closer to the source I found water. Yeah my thoughts were the same on the carpet pad being wet. Sucks as its all new. Not sure the warranty will cover it as I was told if its deemed preexisting it won't be covered and I'll be out $75 for a tech to tell me that. The previous owner was an investment company and had to have known as there is fresh paint over the staining and they replaced the old carpet so I'd assume they saw moisture too. Fortunately my father in-law owns a plumbing company and I can do all the work myself. If it's not covered I don't think I'll file a claim against my homeowner's as my deductible will cost me more than it'll cost me to do the repairs. I was planning on cutting the carpet back 10-12" there anyway so it may not be a big deal. For now the water is off and I'm waiting to see what my coverage is before I file anything or do any repairs. Fortunately I have about 3 months to get this all squared away before we have to move out of our other place.

Last edited:

Lojo

Damn.. that sucks. Is your house Slab on Grade? If the moisture is Only at the baseboard, there is a slight chance it could be coming in from outside if the wall isn’t flashed correctly and water is slopping towards the house... (not as likely if the floor is raised foundation)

That exterior concrete also looks pretty close to the weap screed. Might not be letting moisture out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JDDK

a lot of policies wont cover a slow leak over time. however they cover a pipe burst or instant leak and damage resulting.

jesse3638

Hooked
That exterior concrete also looks pretty close to the weap screed. Might not be letting moisture out.

Being in the desert we don't get much rain so typically moisture isn't an issue. During the rain we were there and water was draining away from the house too. With out looking at in in person my father in law thinks someone may have tried twisting off the hose bib not realizing it sweated on. We'll see what happens.

rubiDave

Being in the desert we don't get much rain so typically moisture isn't an issue. During the rain we were there and water was draining away from the house too. With out looking at in in person my father in law thinks someone may have tried twisting off the hose bib not realizing it sweated on. We'll see what happens.
Your homeowners insurance should cover all the damage. The deductible is high, but looks like there might be a lot of stuff to fix. If the carpet pad is wet they should take care of replacing it. Even if just a small area is ruined they will probably replace the entire rooms carpet, same with the tile if they can't find an exact match. They should also take care of drying everything out, drywall & baseboard repair and paint.

In my house they paid to have entire rooms painted because small sections of drywall in the kitchen, bathroom and family room were replaced and touch up painting would show.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Your homeowners insurance should cover all the damage. The deductible is high, but looks like there might be a lot of stuff to fix. If the carpet pad is wet they should take care of replacing it. Even if just a small area is ruined they will probably replace the entire rooms carpet, same with the tile if they can't find an exact match. They should also take care of drying everything out, drywall & baseboard repair and paint.

In my house they paid to have entire rooms painted because small sections of drywall in the kitchen, bathroom and family room were replaced and touch up painting would show.

Yeah I am in the process of tearing out the floor and countertops to renovate the kitchen. If my deductible is less than what I was planning on spending for flooring and materials and that stuff will be covered it may be worth it to file a claim. I have to look at my policy. I just heard back from the home warranty company and the plan I have, refunds my money for the service call if it's not going to covered so that's a start.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
If you can avoid reporting water damage to your homeowner's insurance, do it. Possibly the worst claim you can make is water damage as it stays on your home's "permanent record" and fucks with your insurance costs forever.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yeah my boss was just talking top me about that. He had a leak resulting in mold and said it had to be disclosed on the sale and turned into a pain in the ass.

TrailHunter

Hooked
If you can avoid reporting water damage to your homeowner's insurance, do it. Possibly the worst claim you can make is water damage as it stays on your home's "permanent record" and fucks with your insurance costs forever.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Absolutely! And they may kick you out of the house if mold is found. Open it up, dry it out, spray bleach on it, fix the problem and any rot..... and move on. Not worth the headache.

Lojo

Bummer!!! Hope it’s easy and a quick fix.

jesse3638

Hooked
Absolutely! And they may kick you out of the house if mold is found. Open it up, dry it out, spray bleach on it, fix the problem and any rot..... and move on. Not worth the headache.

This was my plan. Its an exterior wall so I get to pull insulation too.

rubiDave

--
Really? I haven't noticed any fuckery with my premium since my claim. But yeah I know some people file claims all the time for minor shit. In my case, I knew it was going to be many times more than my deductable.

I didn't catch that Jesse is doing a remod anyway and isn't living in the house yet. It sucks that now there's some additional work to be done, but good that you don't have furniture in there and have to live there.

BaddestCross

Really? I haven't noticed any fuckery with my premium since my claim. But yeah I know some people file claims all the time for minor shit. In my case, I knew it was going to be many times more than my deductable.

I didn't catch that Jesse is doing a remod anyway and isn't living in the house yet. It sucks that now there's some additional work to be done, but good that you don't have furniture in there and have to live there.

Yeah. Water damage claims almost always come back to bite you. Sometimes not until the sale of your house. I even had a couple clients get smacked when they bought a new house because of claims they made on prior houses.

Insurance companies can eat a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned. 🤨

--

JDDK

agreed. insurance claims can be a hassle. I do remediation a lot at work from water issues. A lot of policies have mold exclusions. Our 2 million policy as a general contractor excludes mold, so we never use the M word. Bleach it, sand and scrape, bleach again and air dry and youre good.
Last month I had an adjuster deny a claim for 15k in damage because of a longterm leak at a clients house

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah. Water damage claims almost always come back to bite you. Sometimes not until the sale of your house. I even had a couple clients get smacked when they bought a new house because of claims they made on prior houses.

Insurance companies can eat a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned. 🤨

--
I agree. My ex father in law owns a body shop and has expressed that very sentiment many many time...haha. Only answer the questions they ask and provide only necessary info.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Making the dome for my pizza oven, next I will cast the shell and then start laying the brick.

Attachments

• 15516354558267301910450804980596.jpg
    15516354558267301910450804980596.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom